Audi A4 or BMW 3 series

rimfire4969

Sometime in the near future we will be replacing our family car. We need an estate car and have kind of narrowed it down to an A4 or 3 series. Also looked at the Passat but my misses feels it's a lot longer so does not like it. Like the Merc C200 but not driven one. Love the way the BMW drives but not sure I can bring myself to buy one. Had a A4 before and liked it a lot.

Looking for as a new as possible 2009 or newer under 40000 miles budget about £14000 max.

Haven't driven a petrol Merc but had a diesel one for a week as a replacement for my A4 while it was being repaired. I hated it after the Audi, although it was faster it felt ponderous round corners and was really noisy inside. Of the two cars you mention I prefer the Audi. It is more comfortable and just a nicer place to be sitting in IMHO.

The VW Passat is based on the A6 and Skoda Superb, so a much bigger car, all round.

My dad has an older C200, drives okay but has a stupid foot operated handbrake that I could never live with myself.

Have a look at the Golf estate, its the same platform as the A4 but could be cheaper.

I don't think there is a bad choice between the two you are looking at, I would be tempted to go for the best deal that you can when it's time to buy, whether it be Audi or BMW, or the Merc' for that matter.

I don't imagine that snowfall is a major concern in Cornwall if you opt for the BMW, but if it is then put a set of winter tyres on the car and it will be transformed. I put winter boots on my BMW and it makes a huge difference, I will quite happily venture into areas where front wheel drive cars with standard tyres get stranded.

I have never driven a BMW in the winter but don't they have a reputation for getting stuck due to being rear wheel drive

Whereas the Audi can come with 4x4 depending on spec

:shaun:

anything with rear wheel drive fat tyres and a bit of power will be stuck so its not just a BMW :yes: never had a series 3 but had a series 5 lovely car to drive mate had an 09 A4 it was a nice car but I would never have bought one.

KW

Edited by kdubya

The VW Passat is based on the A6 and Skoda Superb, so a much bigger car, all round.

My dad has an older C200, drives okay but has a stupid foot operated handbrake that I could never live with myself.

Have a look at the Golf estate, its the same platform as the A4 but could be cheaper.

I was told the Passat and superb are A4 platforms, the A6 Is much bigger again. The Octavian is Golf and A3 platform.

I prefer the A6 as an Avant than a saloon car.

Never been a BMW fan, like my Qautros.

anything with rear wheel drive fat tyres and a bit of power will be stuck so its not just a BMW :yes: never had a series 3 but had a series 5 lovely car to drive mate had an 09 A4 it was a nice car but I would never have bought one.

KW

You didn't need to he chauffeured you everywhere.

It's common sense that a Quattro will be better in snow than a rwd BMW but do you really need 4 wheel drive for 2 days of the year we have snow. I've got a BMW 330 ci and not had a problem in the snow anymore than most other motorists in 2 years of ownership.

My local gunshops road was covered in snow Xmas eve and I got all the way down and back up no problem (granted I was doing sideways). Steep inclines will be a problem but they will in most two wheel drive cars.

Regarding audis like BM's very reliable but Audi parts can be pretty expensive even compaired to BMW prices.

ATB 425

As a BMW 3 series estate owner myself, I'll say that one thing that you do need to bear in mind is the transmission tunnel. It does intrude quite a bit into the centre passenger footwell space, so much so that anyone sitting in that seat had better be very small, or they're in for quite an uncomfortable journey.

Regarding other things on the BMW : get an SE with sensible (17" or smaller) wheels, NOT an MSport, unless you enjoy wincing every time you even see a pothole. Same applies to the Audi, and their 'S-line' sporty models.

Getting a modern diesel with low mileage isn't really the best of ideas. The DPFs can get clogged up a lot more readily with low mileage/short journeys than they do on regular longer runs, so a 4-5 year old car with 40k or less on the clock is probably best avoided. Though BMW also seem to suffer very few DPF problems compared to other makes.

Someone has mentioned 5 series cars. You might just be surprised, you can pick up a 5 for virtually the same money as a 3, and they often come with better standard spec. The 5 from 2010 (the F10 model) is streets ahead of the older (E60 series) in terms of comfort and refinement, and the same can be said about the new 'F30' 3 series, compared to the old 'E90' 3 series.

If you want 4wd then its Audi,octavia.I am biased as im on my second 330d.It is an M Sport f31 touring, I think its fab it is stiffly sprung but maintains decent refinement and comfort in the driving I do, mainly motorway. The last one was an 07 coupe in SE spec 17 inch wheels.This was the spec I would have gone for again(or luxary spec) but the wife wanted Memory seat so choice was limited on the used market.

A friend had a slightly older 10 plate I think A4 S line avant, I find the seats narrow, firm with very firm side bolsters, very stiff suspension with more road noise and crashyness transmitted to cabin. I think the audi of that period has the better cabin than my older bmw but less refinement and therefore less enjoyable for the roadtrip.

My newer bmw had eclipsed my pals car for cabin ambience now but its not really a fair comparison.

My pal works in the same office as my wife and lives within a half mile of me so over a year of the same basic daily commute the audi has had numerous dpf lights and my beemer had a failed sensor on the expansion cap giving a false low coolant warning,milage covered was circa 18k

My pal also prefers my newer bmw but its a generation in front,but claims he will only buy an audi as he perceives it as a more prestigious car.

Can't comment a lot, but my daugnter recently changed her company car. Choice was an Audi or BMW, both diesels. She chose the A4 for tax reasons among a couple others. She had a beamer previously and quietly regrets not spending more of her income and going for another BMW. She is, of course, pleased with the Audi but....

Saloons, not estates - so perhaps not comparable. My lady loves her Pogo 607 and long may it last!

I love my estates. Current is a 60 plate 320d M Sport. corners as well as the saloon, much more practical. Only ever had an Audio once, an A4 back in 2006 and was not impressed.

I know several people who rate the Skoda. All the reviews are good too.

Edited by keg