What greylag call?

-ben-

Whereabouts are you??? Personally I have used an olt or Archie Jordan to reasonable effect especially on Icelandic greys, resident geese on the east coast and the south I was shown a method of calling using a zink grey call or any short reed Canada call, works very well, can turn them along way out, but Icelandic greys seem to hate it! Lol

Stick with an AJ call and use it very sparingly

The Greylag Solway call does not need a lot of air pressure so it should not lock up unless you are blowing too hard, just a slow breath of air building in pressure slightly and use your hands to control the sound.

The Pinkfoot call has a thicker reed and needs more air to get it going and with practice can be used for Greys as well using your hands to muffle.

Have a look here goosecalls.co.uk

Eddie

Edited by Morningflight

Just takes a bit of getting used to gents, that's all.

Solway call, easy to blow. Don't need to blow hard.

The Greylag Solway call does not need a lot of air pressure so it should not lock up unless you are blowing too hard, just a slow breath of air building in pressure slightly and use your hands to control the sound.

The Pinkfoot call has a thicker reed and needs more air to get it going and with practice can be used for Greys as well using your hands to muffle.

Have a look here goosecalls.co.uk

Eddie

I have a selection of Goose calls' including the Solway pinkfoot call that can double up as Greylag call' i dont have or have not heard the Dedicated Greylag Call from Eddie Nixon' which gets good reviews. But my Choice would be the "Greylag Hammer" best greylag'y Call I have ever heard and very easy to Use.

Why would you want to buy a goose call in the 45 years that I have been wildfowling I have never used one. I have always used my Voice and spent my time listening to the birds and imitating their calls with my own voice. Why spend all that money when God gave you the attributes to use with a little bit of practice.

Why would you want to buy a goose call in the 45 years that I have been wildfowling I have never used one. I have always used my Voice and spent my time listening to the birds and imitating their calls with my own voice. Why spend all that money when God gave you the attributes to use with a little bit of practice.

must have some lungs on you...try that in a gale :lol:

I've tried that many times but the noise that come's out is akin to a goose being squeezed like bagpipes! Then being told to shut up by anyone nearby. But I admire anyone that can make a half decent job of it,TWAG can you do ducks pheasants etc as well?

Greylag Hammer sounds great but I would hardly describe it as easy to blow (for me at least)

Believe me When I tell you that i am no Master with a goose call' and have probably Scared more geese with a goose call than i have brought into range with one.

However I find the Greylag hammer very easy to use compared to the likes of the DJ call or Solway pink call when trying to get a greylag sound with very little effort.Of cousre the Solway pink call is a fine call for pinks and easy to use and was responsible for pulling a pair of pinks from flighting Whitefronts over a decade ago and enabled me to shoot my first ever pinkfoot "not a common Goose here". As you say the hammer sounds great' and if I' as a not very competent person with a call can use it with what I feel is very little effort' then I would Consider it user friendly.

Fair play to anyman that can call geese without the aid of a Call.I have spent a lot of time goose chasing and goose watching and have been lucky enough to be close to large flocks of geese on the ground whilst feeding "under the moon" without them knowing i was there and hearing the strange buzzing noise they make whilst content and unaware of danger. But i neither have the confidence or ability to imitate any of the noise's that geese make. I can do a very good wigeon whistle but it lacks volume to be of any effect.

I think Wigeon mans advice is the best' whatever call you decide to go for' use it sparingly and as an aid..it is not a magic flute and there has been lots of geese shot without the use of a call.

Edited by SuperGoose75

You will be bringing them in no problem. I did first time I used it,thought I was rubbish but the geese turned and came straight at me,big big smile on my face that flight.

Enjoy annoying people practicing with it,ohh and if you practice when in the car pedestrians can hear it.