Basic Lamping Setup/Torch?

Dan.

So I am setting up my first ever gun which is a .22LR ruger 10/22 with a simmons whitetail classic scope and i would like an "OK" lamping setup for it but its only going to be used for 80-100yards max (and even then i doubt i will be going past 50-60 years often) so I dont want to be paying much more than £50 as im saving the more expensive purchases for my larger caliber rifles.

what i would also like to know is are you able to use a high powered head/hand torch instead of a gun mounted item?

Thanks for reading

Dan

For years now Dan I just buy cheap led torches off eBay or in the shops and hold it with the off hand and stock sits on my wrist. Last one was eight quid for a 60m beam on AAA batteries!

I did buy an expensive (for me) Deban small torch for 55 quid. It comes with scope mounts, cable and a remote switch to stick on the stock. More than enough for lr!

U.

For years now Dan I just buy cheap led torches off eBay or in the shops and hold it with the off hand and stock sits on my wrist. Last one was eight quid for a 60m beam on AAA batteries!

I did buy an expensive (for me) Deban small torch for 55 quid. It comes with scope mounts, cable and a remote switch to stick on the stock. More than enough for lr!

U.

thats what im thinking just get a cheaper high powered LED torch and hold it or find a DIY of mounting it to the bottom of the gun.

its only going to used in small aread and around sheds etc.

Some are rubbish. Some are dim, that is good for rats!

Some say on the packaging the type of beam or distance. Look for them.

Too wide a beam can be a pain mind! That can be controlled a little though!

I had a fox in the 60m one mentioned at 80+ though and could not aim my little 4x scope on my 22! But it was not intimidated by it!

U.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=360567909963

I'm thinking one of these CREE torches?

search ludicrous-lumens web-site and have a look at T50 aspheric torches ,get yourself a 3 mode one so you can reduce the beam strength,lens can be focused to a tight spot.

one in red would be ideal for your ranges coupled with a plastic scope clamp ,cheap as chips.

you can get em cheaper on ebay if ya do a bit of digging and not in a rush.

got one on the hmr its a nice simple set up,

Edited by Remimax

Dan i really tell you what to buy neither can anyone else, that's obviously going to be down to you. Now then i have a Nightmaster 800 and the Nightmaster X searcher, both are used regularly on my Night vision set up one fixed to an Archer for spotting with, and the X searcher is mounted to the rifle that is used for the shots as it gives out more illumination both are infra red. I also use a T20 from Ludicrous lumens that i bought for £36 +p&p. OK its not as bright as the NM but able to safely ID Fox's out to 150 yards easliy.

So to some up your needs.

Night Master kit around £150

T20 Kit lamp and mount £50

£100 in your pocket :)

Edited by Dougy

Fair point, still probably easier than hand holding, unless you're using sticks/bipod

It is not as hard as you think for walked up stuff with sported weight rifles, it is easier to lamp as you go as well.

I agree that a properly held rifle is better though! I just managed to get on with it as described, me, rifle and torch, nowt else :-).

U.

Having overcome to my satisfaction the one design fault of the NM800/XSearcher, by making use of the different power settings I use this on all of my rifles but this does require a fully adjustable mount. However, I have just beeen given a Led Lenser P7.2 which I simply use as a torch. The prices have dropped in the sales and one of these with a simple mount which could probably be 'shimmed' to suit one rifle, a filter kit and remote switch should be available for somewhere close to your budget. I will confess that whereas the white light will meet your needs, I'm not too sure what happens when you add a filter. I have also read conflicting reports that the filter housing can fall from the torch, but a simple piece of tape would stop that if, indeed, it does happen. I'm so impressed with the performance and sturdy build quality of the torch that I'm toying with the idea of trying this small sized unit on the 22LR.