syndicate rules

Hello guys,

I am looking for some pointers. Myself and a shooting friend have taken up the lease on an estate in ireland. We are forming a syndicate of 11 guns including a part time game keeper who shoots for free. I am looking for some syndicate rules that maybe some of you guys have in the UK.

We are looking to put down approx 1500 pheasants with a view to shooting 50 bird days throughout the season. There is 3 duck ponds with a large head of wild duck present. So any help you guys can give us would be great.

Thanks

I think first and most important rules should be based on safety. ie, you will be asked to slip your gun and leave the shoot if your shooting is a danger to beaters/other guns.may sound ott but once said no argument when asked.

second set towards. sporting etiquette this is how you wish your shoot to come across to others outside the shoot they will hear about your shooting ( the shoot that shoots every bird moving sporting or not) is not a premium label to have.

hope it goes well. seem like obvious things but think and remember where you see the shoot in the coming seasons.

Im in a couple of syndicates and the rules differ considerably. Have you decided on financials ie total outgoings plus contingency funds as this is likely to be the biggest bone of contention. After this there is distribution of tasks - try to get members who compliment the shoot ie builders, mechanics, farmers plus a couple who might be helpful with legal/regulatory aspects. It is good to have a managing committee ie shoot captain, keeper(s), treasurer etc who can do the administration, negotiate with landlord, manage the various admin aspects ie insurance, feed purchase, vetinary, pest control, neighbourhood disputes etc then comes the fun of shooting rules: when do we shoot, how many stand/walk, pickers-up, game dealers, what do we shoot, where do we eat, who do we feed, etc etc. go through the rules in some detail as at least one picky sod will raise silly questions. Be clear how you want the shoot to run but have fun!

draw pegs etc and stick to this; some days your mates will get more bangs than you but over the season it does average itself out; I was a guest at a shoot recently where it was basically 2 teams in a beat 1/ stand 1 fashion and it was a free for all regarding positioning when standing; with folk cherry picking the best places to stand every time. It was a farce and 4 guys didn't get a shot off all day. I got 2 off at the duck flight in the evening but other than that it was a disorganised rabble.

As has been said; make safety the number 1 priority and blue sky shots only until you all get a better knowledge of your new shoot.

all the best

RTR

Most rules are really common sense but llike everybody has rightly said safety should be first and foremost.

A lot of the shoot specific rules will depend on ur shoot and ur guns, if new, dodgy or when u don't know the ground u might need to lay more down than a shoot of experienced guns who have shot on same ground for ages.

And it will depend wot ur looking for, is it walk 1 stand 1, 11/12 is a bit of a strange number for that (bt i'm sure u have tht figured out ) ost in my area are 14-20 to try and get 2 teams of 8ish,

I would also 2nd joining BASC (no idea if its valid in eire thou?) but as an affilated shoot it automatically means ALL guns and guests and anyone else is insured on a shoot day, saves me the hassle of checking ins is valid and guest's have it and remembered to bring it (For other shoot captains, Has anyone ever turned a guest away for not having there ins proof with them?)

The only other thing, depending how experienced the 2 of u are and the keeper u get, is, start small 1500 is not a massive ammount of birds but there all to pay for, and buying and feeding 1500 will not be cheap (plus if u have other start up costs pens, hoppers, quad etc) and while u find ur feet and get to know the estate might be less stressful with less birds and less pressure althou smaller bags.

But will all depend on wo u want out of the shoot and the size of ur wallet and wether u can get guns to fil the spaces at the price that u need to charge to break even/small profit/profit??

Shooting in a syndicate is not always cheaper than buying days individually