Patternmaster code black duck

Richie10

I've been thinking of getting one of these for a while, my fear is that shots under 20yds which are normally more or less a cert, will become clear misses or will result in not much left of the bird!

Would love to know how you get on and if it affects your shooting at normal ranges.

If your not a great shot to start with they are not going to help much because as Tony says they do pattern very tight .

I personally do not think they are worth the price , I use a briley extended light full which for about £35 throws cracking patterns to over 50 yards .

Edited by fenboy

Been using the Kicks high flyer modified currently and been hitting well with that. Thought I would see how different the pattenmasters perform.

Will take it out at the weekend and let you know how I get on, if there is any ducks around.

I find that you don't have to give so much lead with the kicks choke which seems to really perform well with the 3.5" 3 carts.

Cheers.

Been using the Kicks high flyer modified currently and been hitting well with that. Thought I would see how different the pattenmasters perform.

Will take it out at the weekend and let you know how I get on, if there is any ducks around.

I find that you don't have to give so much lead with the kicks choke which seems to really perform well with the 3.5" 3 carts.

Cheers.

I cannot see where any choke on the planet will alter the lead you have to give a target , only speed can do that and even then the difference is negligiable between a cartridge doing 1350 and one doing 1650 !

I have heard good things about the kicks though pattern wise.

Cheers.

I cannot see where any choke on the planet will alter the lead you have to give a target , only speed can do that and even then the difference is negligiable between a cartridge doing 1350 and one doing 1650 !

I have heard good things about the kicks though pattern wise.

I too struggle to understand these claims and put them down to perception rather than fact!

At best there may be a very slight difference in the length of the shot stream and accordingly the lead may be affected but it would be such a small amount as to be undiscernable.

I have used them (Duck and Goose Versions) for a couple of season's and a pretty impressed with them. On a pattern plate the Patternmaster Code Black Duck puts roughly 10-15% more in a 30" circle then a factory modified (through my Beretta Auto).

What a pattern plate cannot prove or disprove is the manufacturers claim that they shorten the shot string by up to 80% through stopping the wad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IAZWcRprRY

Edited by guy baxendale

I too struggle to understand these claims and put them down to perception rather than fact!

At best there may be a very slight difference in the length of the shot stream and accordingly the lead may be affected but it would be such a small amount as to be undiscernable.

I find that you don't have to give so much lead with the kicks choke.

There is no claim or stating as fact, it was my personal findings in how I was shooting with a 1/4 choke to how I shoot with the kicks choke.

Do you shoot steel through an aftermarket choke?

I find that you don't have to give so much lead with the kicks choke.

There is no claim or stating as fact, it was my personal findings in how I was shooting with a 1/4 choke to how I shoot with the kicks choke.

Do you shoot steel through an aftermarket choke?

So you are claiming that you have to give less lead which I put down to perception!

Yes I do

So you are claiming that you have to give less lead which I put down to perception!

Yes I do

Not sure if you actually understand what I wrote or where you are going with this, even if you have any real input.

As I said it was a personal finding, not a claim that it actually was the case for everyone. However something I have experienced, putting it out there to people who might have used these same chokes.

So what chokes have/do you use?

I have used them (Duck and Goose Versions) for a couple of season's and a pretty impressed with them. On a pattern plate the Patternmaster Code Black Duck puts roughly 10-15% more in a 30" circle then a factory modified (through my Beretta Auto).

What a pattern plate cannot prove or disprove is the manufacturers claim that they shorten the shot string by up to 80% through stopping the wad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IAZWcRprRY

Thanks for that guy!!! You've just saved me a job, I have the same gun, use the same cartridges and I am thinking of getting that PM choke! Good work! :)

i have the same gun same cartridges and the same patternmaster. at distance its cracking hit dead in the air or a miss completely which i think is ethical . But ive missed some close birds completely which i thought were easy.

If im on the foreshore its patternmaster every time , but if im expecting closer birds ill use the 1/4 choke.

just my experience

cheers

R10,

Having used a BLACK DUCK PM , in my A400 XTREME for 2 seasons , it is now another expensive, paperweight .

IMHO , I found that.

Shot sizes of 4 , 5 and 6 did not pattern well and did not kill Cleanly .

Steel shot in sizes 3, 2 and bigger worked better in this choke .

as others have said it is tight and you will get no mercy from it , if your not on Form!.

FYI, I now use almost exclusively, ( unless over dekes at 25yds when I use Beretta 1/4 ext factory choke),

Mullers H2O Passing , handles steel and lead . large and small and good to 55yds , with a very nice pattern from outer fringe to centre.

Having used 5 different aftermarket Choke types over the years , MULLERS H20 is by far the One that suits me best .

After some excellent shots pre Xmas my Son is also now a Mullers convert to ,

It would be great to hear how you get on ,

good luck,

Not sure if you actually understand what I wrote or where you are going with this, even if you have any real input.

As I said it was a personal finding, not a claim that it actually was the case for everyone. However something I have experienced, putting it out there to people who might have used these same chokes.

So what chokes have/do you use?

You have said the you find you need to give less lead with a particular brand of choke.

I find it hard to understand how you can make that call*. The speed of the pellets in the pattern can’t have changed discernibly from one choke to another in the same gun. The flyers will hopefully have been brought in to the usable part of the pattern.

This is an open forum for people to “discuss” topics, if you don’t wish to have a topic discussed I fail to see why you posted what you did. If you become so challenging over my posts then perhaps you should step back and take some deep breaths.

I shoot many different chokes on 12 bore shotguns, both after-market and original manufacturers versions as well as fixed chokes. I use lots of different lead and steel shells in various weights from 21g up to 52g

*YOU don’t like the word claim.

You have said the you find you need to give less lead with a particular brand of choke.

I find it hard to understand how you can make that call*. The speed of the pellets in the pattern can’t have changed discernibly from one choke to another in the same gun. The flyers will hopefully have been brought in to the usable part of the pattern.

This is an open forum for people to “discuss” topics, if you don’t wish to have a topic discussed I fail to see why you posted what you did. If you become so challenging over my posts then perhaps you should step back and take some deep breaths.

I shoot many different chokes on 12 bore shotguns, both after-market and original manufacturers versions as well as fixed chokes. I use lots of different lead and steel shells in various weights from 21g up to 52g

*YOU don’t like the word claim.

I asked about the Patternmaster choke and peoples opinions that was the topic.

Have you used this choke? Yes or no? What do you think of it?

I have gone through your posts and looked hard but still cannot see where you have even spoken of your experience of this particular choke.

Claim is a strong word and i didn't claim to anything, it's that I shoot differently with one choke to another, one that works for me. I didn't say anyone should benefit from doing the same.

If you are saying that the manipulation of the shot string makes little difference, is that from personal experience from using these chokes?

Super after chokes have their place and I love mine , but they are for speclised shooting where you expect most of your shots to be on the edge of effective range , say 50 yards. For shooting birds at under 40 yards they are a handy cap for the average shot as they can shoot so tight and if you do hit a birds at 30 yards or less there is a very good chance you will smash it. They come into their own when shooting at 50 yard geese with big shot , with say BBB or flighting high mallard when using no 2 pellets. For the more normal no1 steel pellets for geese or no 3 for duck they are of little use as by the time the pellets are 50 yards out they are loseing speed and penertration. It will not matter how many pellets your full choke puts on the target if the pellets have lost their power.

I use a HLS Undertaker after choke with a constriction of .700 ( thats close to full lead choke ) and at 50 yards it will poleaxe pinks at 50 yards time after time. I would not recomend a novice to start using a full after choke untill he has a few years range judging experiance behind him and developed his shooting skills to cope with long shots and even then reconises 50 yards is his limit.

I think your last point is very important Answer2 , no choke will gaurentee those long range birds unless the person behind the gun has the ability to put the shot in the right place , there is no choke on the market that will make a average shot a good one , but there are aftermarket chokes that will make a average shot a poor one !

I think your last point is very important Answer2 , no choke will gaurentee those long range birds unless the person behind the gun has the ability to put the shot in the right place , there is no choke on the market that will make a average shot a good one , but there are aftermarket chokes that will make a average shot a poor one !

"Make a average shot a poor one" Not on about that foggy morning again are you ! ?

"Make a average shot a poor one" Not on about that foggy morning again are you ! ?

Well believe it or not Tony I was not ! , but I am sure you would agree after trying the patternmaster they are not a choke for close range shooting and if used for such only make things harder.