Working a 6 month old Lab?

00jacksonp

A friend of mine has a 6 month old lab.

Any views on a wise age to start working it on commercial shoot?

When its ready that may be 18 months it may be 30 monts but I cannot see one being ready at 6 months !

Each dog is different so it will be impossible to give a answer , other than do not rush things.

If its been introduced to gun fire and is fairly steady/ok around other dogs a days beating would be a good start , or a night lamping but its really hard to say without seeing /running the dog I have 4 labs all at different stages 2 brother who are just turned a year one is already out and about happy to use him whenever needed but wouldnt expect him to sit on a peg just yet but other would happily sit all day but not quite as good at picking up ...

My chessa is 6 months old and we are just starting with basic stuff.

He's so immature he's just not ready, it would just cause havoc taking him out shooting now.

As above your mate shouldn't rush the pup needs to be next season before he's doing anything if the pups ready.

I have seen all sorts of dogs at various stupidly young ages. Seen a couple of 5ish month old spaniels out that hardly knew there name, 1 was beating on grouse poor wee thing

Its ears will not have fully developed at 6 months so u could damage the ears if shooting close,

Even the exercise side generally folk say 5 mins per month so really that dog should only be walking 30ish min. Plus if it gets tired mid beat while its on a lead u can't wait while it recovers, would he carry it? or more likely shout and drag it (seen it done before)

Really can't see any positives from taking a dog that young to a shoot, and there is so many things that could go wrong

Taking it pigeon shooting is probably the worst thing u could do with it

I have a 1 yr old lab pup thats coming on nicely and i have no intention of taking it shooting till next season, and even then he will be intro'd gently if he's ready (althou he really should be)

Best advice would be to join some sort of group training club soit can get used to other dogs excitement etc throu the summer.

At 6 months i introduce a bit of working for the right dog there is no set rule but as all things in moderation but light work wont hurt but a driven day not worth talking about.

the rule of 10 mins of training is more down to the attension span of the dog just take it easy simple as that

Apart from sit, stay heel and the like I have never started training under nine months. Want to ruin the dog then use it. Want to train it into a good working dog then patience is the main requirement.

It is just a very young child by human standards.

Like the man above says - 10 minutes of training is the most a dog of that age can absorb.

Working dog at that age and just above is a NO, NO..

The Dogs Muscles have not fully grown, and will limp after a very short period..

It has been discussed before and was given a big thumbs Down ..

2 years to get it to working condition, then enjoy your labours.. you will shorten the dogs working life doing it early.

Get Other priorities right first ,heel,sit.stay, sound of shot, water work etc..

Then you will have a dog to be proud of..

I think when you hear work people think about days picking up at a 200+ bird day not the case, letting a younger steady dog help with the odd bit of dogging in or picking the odd rabbit when lamping when there about a year this is no harder on there body as the training they recieve.

Just be sensible

Must admit in 12 months time the dog will be 18month old and may not be ready for the field, it all depends on where it is with training.

At the moment i would severly doubt it is even pyhsically capable of doing very much withou risking injury etc,

I cannot see anything to be gained by working/or even taking a dog that young to a shoot, and a lot of potential disasters, any possible gains could be achieved better and more controlled environment in a group training session, either organised or just a few mates together

More dogs are ruined by working them to early even if u think there ready. I have ruined my 5 yr old lab by working it too early, was 18 months old when i first took it, but we needed extra dogs on the grouse and despite trying to be careful with it it has picked up a few bad habitits. Its ok now but should off been a lot better, but 100% my fault entirely due to working it too young