Pintail/Gadwall

wildfowler.250

Was wondering if I could pick some brains on here.. I'm staying in Glasgow and was wondering if anyone could suggest somewhere that's worth visiting to try and get a shot at Pintail or Gadwall? Preferably closer to Scotland? Probably wont manage this season but would look at getting a visitors permit or something for next year. Cheers!

Ps seen a few pics of gadwall on here. Are they fairly common in certain places?

Thanks!

My shooting experiance is limited in Scotland , but there used to be plenty of pintail on the Solway , but you needed a stormy high tide to get a shot at them. I never saw gadwall in the days i visited Scotland , but here in England they are very much a freshwater duck and not often met with below the high tide mark , though i have had a few on the Wash and N Norfolk coast , but most have been crossing the foreshore between two freshwater marshes. Loch Leven holds a good breeding population so perhaps a search of the fresh water marshes near by might be worth while.

Cheers guys!

So my questions are:

1) are pintail numbers consistently dropping? Or is this a short term dip in numbers?

2) any advice on shooting the solway? Had a look and there's a solway wildfowlers on fb but that seems to be the English side. I assume there's clubs for the scottish side of the solway or do folk usually just walk in? Is the English and the scottish side similar for pintail numbers?

Thanks again for the advice!

Calavarock used to be a good area for pintails and youcan get permits from Scottish Natural Heritage. Make sure you pick a period of dawn\dusk tides as all shooting has to stop at 10.00 am and does not restart until late afternoon.

Across Europe pintail have been in a slow decline for several years.

Edited by anser2

My first trip to sheppey in kent we there was an unbelievable amount of pintail (literally thousands) and I was lucky enough to shoot a high drake. In the 10 years since I have shot one other but that's it for this part of the world. Gadwall seem plentiful around here this year and last, I've shot more gadwall than anything else this season including a nice (brace) left and right on Friday.

Wish I could get under some wigeon......but they are few and far between on my permissions.