Need h a nudge to make a decision!

monkeyjaimz

Now then boys, It's been a long while since I've been on here - mainly on account of me selling all my gear and taking a long break from my shooting.

I'm all settled again now though and looking to get back into a bit of hunting and HFT again.

I've got my cash together and am looking to make the purchase of a rifle shortly. In the past I've owned a Daystate, Falcon, an FX and Air Arms.

I've narrowed my choice down to a Daystate MK4 (Panther) and a HW100. They're both excellent condition used guns and obviously both have different price tags.

I'm prepared to shell out what I must as this is the gun that's going to be with me for a long time to come and I'm very much looking forward to regular trips to club etc with it - I just need a push one way or the other because I seriously can't make my mind up!

I've shot them both in the past and I reckon I'd be happy with either, I just cant make the call.

Grateful for your thoughts

Cheers Jim :good:

I would say, considering it's going to be used for both hunting and HFT, I'd go with the HW100. The Panther isn't the best weapon for hunting, as it's quite a bulky gun really aimed at FT work. The other option would be the Mk4is with the sporter or thumb hole stock. That's exactly the same gun, but is much more of a generalist and does make a great hunter. Personally, I think I'd take a mk 4is over the HW, but if I had the choice of that or the Panther, it's be the hw100

Purely to upset EVO I would buy the HW100 , then I would go shoot some melons with it ( sorry Evo :ninja: )

nothing but a bit of good old pigeon watch banter fenboy :lol::lol: :lol:

ok I take it they are both second hand ???

personally accuracy wise their is no difference, well from my experience anyways, but for hunting and FT I would have to go for the panther but only because I,m a daystate nut.

the HW100 is more than capable of performing well hunting(even though its like carrying a grand piano round) and on the HFT circuit and is a very accurate rifle but I personally don't like the side lever as I,m with Matt as I prefer a bolt action rifle,

the Daystate panther is also a superbly accurate rifle,but the plus side is its electronic and super smooth I just personally wish it came in a walnut stock(I love a nice piece of wood)

I also think the panther would serve you well in the HFT scenario,

What would I personally pick ??? to be honest neither as I would go for a second hand Daystate Airwolf .177, much better than previously mentioned, done well on the FT circuit and also mine is superb for hunting with ,

personally give them both a shoulder , see how they feel,,but most importantly see how they shoot as its YOUR hard earned your spending,

good luck with whatever you choose

special note

Fenboy,,,all the best for 2015 bud,,you do make oi laaarrrfffff

nothing but a bit of good old pigeon watch banter fenboy :lol::lol: :lol:

ok I take it they are both second hand ???

personally accuracy wise their is no difference, well from my experience anyways, but for hunting and FT I would have to go for the panther but only because I,m a daystate nut.

the HW100 is more than capable of performing well hunting(even though its like carrying a grand piano round) and on the HFT circuit and is a very accurate rifle but I personally don't like the side lever as I,m with Matt as I prefer a bolt action rifle,

the Daystate panther is also a superbly accurate rifle,but the plus side is its electronic and super smooth I just personally wish it came in a walnut stock(I love a nice piece of wood)

I also think the panther would serve you well in the HFT scenario,

What would I personally pick ??? to be honest neither as I would go for a second hand Daystate Airwolf .177, much better than previously mentioned, done well on the FT circuit and also mine is superb for hunting with ,

personally give them both a shoulder , see how they feel,,but most importantly see how they shoot as its YOUR hard earned your spending,

good luck with whatever you choose

special note

Fenboy,,,all the best for 2015 bud,,you do make oi laaarrrfffff

Your welcome evo , i am glad you can take things as they are intended , and all the best to you for 2015 too mate.

never shot a Daystate,I can't get on with the grip on their thumbhole.the swell is where my thumb muscle is otherwise I would have bought one i expect but not to replace my 100,the HW 100 is supebly accurate,and when lying prone is easier to load with the side loading arm over the bolt I tried ,but it's all personal.I have an 'S' with an A&M cylinder so that helps with the weight.

Daystate defo,why because my last 3 hw 100 s have all gone back to hull cartridge for repairs as well as two of my friends and if you look on hw100 owners site on facebook you will see many ,many,rifles having issues with leakes ,valves,accuracy problems etc.they dont work well when the temperature drops either mine threw pellets all over the point of impact kept changing with the temp..my fsb failed straight out of the box, my .20 cal failed after a week then my 100T failed after 200 pellets it came back last week and i took it back to my gun shop and swapped it for the BSA R10 vc latest mk2 .WOW. Accuracy is unbelievable bolt smooth as silk and a very beautiful looking gun too. But in your case go for the daystate iv'e had everyone they do and they are way better .if you choose the hw100 i guarantee you will regret it as it will let you down 100% they are renowned for constantly leaking

Edited by Michael170874

have to say the above post is a little harsh on the hw100, but like many rifles of all makes some do have problems,,a decent hw100 is as good as any gun and if you get one without any faults then it will last you years, ALL makes of rifles have there problems , just look at the daystate regal,,nothing but bad reports at the moment,yet my huntsman classic has been faultless

Never owned a daystate so could,nt comment, but i have owned my latest hw100 f.s.b for over 2 years now and have took it out in all conditions including minus 1,2,3 degrees and so on after the bunnies and can honestly say it never misses a beat, accuracy wise it is superb,and more importantly it is so consistent and will out shoot me everytime.As evo said every make of gun has its problems,this is my 2nd hw100 and there is,nt a lot out there i would swap it for.At the end of the day choose the one you feel most comfy with a.t.b andy

Finally got around to making the decision, cheers for all the feedback lads.

Shouldered them both and fell for the Panther. I do much prefer a bolt to the sidelever of the HW100 - that's just me though. In the past I've done 70% hunting and 30% targets / HFT - I can realistically see that reversing the opposite way now as I've got a decent club just down the road from where I work.

In a nutshell: Chuffed to bits and looking forward to getting out again! :yahoo: Jim.

20150122_203117_zpsup4azjc1.jpg