Not quite talk from the field.

JDog

Driving back from Kent this afternoon I had just joined the M4 from the M25 when two birds with long tails flew across the motorway some distance ahead of me. At first I thought that they were magpies but when they landed in a tree on the motorway edge I could clearly see that they were Ring necked Parakeets. A quick glance into the trees adjacent to where they had landed I was quite amazed to see another 40 or 50 birds of the same species.

The colours of these birds were being highlighted by the lowering sun. It was quite a spectacle.

Great to see but a real pain, noise mess and damage to native species, woodpeckers in particular..

In West London, Richmond Park in particular there are flocks of many hundreds.

We have them now in Hertfordshire, not in big numbers but no doubt they will be before long.

Not shot one as yet, no real need to.

What about the Grey Squirrels, signal crayfish, etc.

I did try shooting signal crayfish but it was a very difficult time and I had to give it up as I cant stand getting wet,

As for the parakeets, we dont have them in Norfolk as far as I know, but there is a u-tube vid with Andy Crow ( aka the crowman ) shooting pigeons where he mentions these birds being a pest on some of the crops, we lived in New Zealand a few years back where we had colonies of them living in nearby woods, I remember they were very noisy, but very timid and difficult to get near to, I never bothered with them as I was using .22 rimfire on the massive rabbit population we had, the only time I got the shotgun out was when I went after the local wild pheasant population , always had plenty to shoot at , happy days. B) B)

Sat over my fishing lake one afternoon & watched the parakeets going into woodpecker nest holes & chucking the young out on to the ground, have shot eight of them as see a flock of 80- 100 birds most weeks over there & a fast twisting target they make to. Have some nice tail feathers on them.

We used to see them at the farm I worked on near Great Missenden, and I saw some in Beaconsfield recently. They could well be a serious pest in 50 years time.

They are already in many areas, including some close to those two.

They are very challenging shot though, maybe there is an emerging market selling days on them?