This morning I shot my first ----------------

fenboy

I was up at 4 am this morning for a flight on the wash , I got to my chosen spot after a long walk and found a nice creek to hole up in.

There was quite a few duck moving but mostly when it was too dark to see them , I started with a miss at a widgeon in the half light .

The geese I was hoping for had other ideas and left the marsh very early but a couple of miles away from my location .

The duck continued to tease me being to high too wide or in the case of the teal too fast ! but at last I spotted a duck that was coming straight at me , a fairly simple shot at about 30 yards at what was my first ever Shoveller, so yet another species ticked of my list this season .

DSC_0144_zpsaf7effd4.jpg

DSC_0148_zpsbe0f6a2d.jpg

Well done on your first shoveler, i got my first ever goldeneye a hen bird last wednesday so was chuffed to bits and then yesterday followed it up with my second ever goldeneye a cracking looking drake bird.

Well done on those too , something else I have not shot , but it could be quite some time before I get that one crossed off !

Hi

Well done on your shoveler

How many first is it this year

All the best

Of

Thanks OF, that makes four , first foreshore pink , first Canada , first Woodcock and the Shoveller still plenty to go but they will get harder to come by.

I particularly would like a pintail preferably a drake and a foreshore greylag , we do get a handful of greylag in the wash but its a case of being in the right place at the right time , I have been close to getting a chance a time or two this season.

Just need to soak the shoveler in salted water for a couple of days, not too bad after.

Thanks , I will give it a go , I have heard they are pretty terrible eating but since I shot it I will at least attempt to eat it !

Well done, FB. Keep going and the pintail won't be too long in coming.

I hope so mate but as yet I have not seen one let alone had a chance at one !

was it shot on the holbeach area marsh, as I know a chap who shot one two seasons ago, his first ever on there in 40 years of fowling and he shoots more on there in a season than I will in ten, so quite a feat well done,the pintail are out there I would like a drake but seem to end up with the hens atb.

Another notable achievement. Anyone would think that you were a novice shooter the way you are getting some 'first evers'.

I am a novice when it comes to wildfowling JDog , its not easy to get to grips with but so far I have managed 21 ducks and geese from the foreshore compared to just 3 last season .

Well done on your Shoveler " fenboy " , a nice looking duck, but as far as eating its not every ones cup of tea , but you wont know until you try it , then you can make your own mind up.

When Harveys the game dealer in Norwich used to come after our game the only bird he would ever leave behind in the game larder was a Shoveler , he used to say , I am trying to find a market for them , that was more than 20yrs ago and as far as I know he is still looking :lol:

In all seriousness, I got my self an electric mincer so that I can mix the less edible stuff with other game meats to make burgers and sausages. Canada mince is good in chilli and Bolognese. £30 quid on the bay so not really expensive.

Thanks , I will give it a go , I have heard they are pretty terrible eating but since I shot it I will at least attempt to eat it !

I hope so mate but as yet I have not seen one let alone had a chance at one !

In all seriousness, I got my self an electric mincer so that I can mix the less edible stuff with other game meats to make burgers and sausages. Canada mince is good in chilli and Bolognese. £30 quid on the bay so not really expensive.

How does the mincer cope with the beak and legs?

Morning Penelope........When a variety of meats are mixed in say a casserole you can normally disguise the taste of the less desirable ones.

We now have the same meals the guns get on a shoot day , and one we had a couple of weeks back was mixed game in ale with a suet crust on top , we knew there was Venison , Pheasant and Hares mixed in it because everything shot on the estate is now kept for the pubs meals and none of the days bags are sold to the game dealers.

Well after a cold morning out we were looking forward to a hot meal and a sit down in warm surroundings , the plates were put on the table and it looked and smelt lovely , after most of us had cleaned the plates and had a second helping we asked the chef what was the main ingredients in it today , and with a little smile on his face he told us Squirrel.

So would we have ate it if we had known in the first place ? I don't know , we might have been a bit more selective when we were eating the tough bits , but what im saying is the right people can make most things edible and a lot of it is in the mind and not in the taste .

Hello J.

New job means I don't get much time on hear now.

The burgers and sausages I have made contained the following.

Fallow, Roe, Rabbit, Canada, Greylag, Pinkfoot, Mallard, Wigeon, Gadwall, Tufty, Pheasant, Partridge. The Canada and Greylag were old birds and the Wigeon and Tufty aren't the best. The burgers and sausages came out very well and are very tasty.

Morning Penelope........When a variety of meats are mixed in say a casserole you can normally disguise the taste of the less desirable ones.

We now have the same meals the guns get on a shoot day , and one we had a couple of weeks back was mixed game in ale with a suet crust on top , we knew there was Venison , Pheasant and Hares mixed in it because everything shot on the estate is now kept for the pubs meals and none of the days bags are sold to the game dealers.

Well after a cold morning out we were looking forward to a hot meal and a sit down in warm surroundings , the plates were put on the table and it looked and smelt lovely , after most of us had cleaned the plates and had a second helping we asked the chef what was the main ingredients in it today , and with a little smile on his face he told us Squirrel.

So would we have ate it if we had known in the first place ? I don't know , we might have been a bit more selective when we were eating the tough bits , but what im saying is the right people can make most things edible and a lot of it is in the mind and not in the taste .