Covering of snow

Cookie69

Had a call off one of my farmers today, asking if I was going to be out shooting this week?

He has been walking pigeon off his rape daily despite having gas guns on the field

I was looking at the field yesterday but didn't see anything because his brother was spraying.

The only day I can go is tomorrow, it's currently snowing and have forecast a couple of cm by the morning

Will snow put the pigeon off feeding on the rape?

I went Today in the snow , i put my thawed birds in areas where you could just see tiny bit of crop and they came in nicely :)

I'm Shooting the other end of the farm close to the wood Thursdays but it's showing thawing on the weather by then

Edited by fruity

Went out yesterday afternoon -- freezing cold and laid out a dozen plastic decoys in middle of the field of rape. I sat in in a balehide.

I saw 300 feeding in the next field to the left and maybe 500/600 feeding in the next field down and in front of me. I never got a shot in 3 hours. I can only think that I am not decoying correctly.

Any ideas?

hillside1945

Went out yesterday afternoon -- freezing cold and laid out a dozen plastic decoys in middle of the field of rape. I sat in in a balehide.

I saw 300 feeding in the next field to the left and maybe 500/600 feeding in the next field down and in front of me. I never got a shot in 3 hours. I can only think that I am not decoying correctly.

Any ideas?

hillside1945

You need to move the birds off any nearby fields as well as the field you set up in as any birds arriving will ignore a few decoys and go straight to a larger flock.

No point setting up this time of year unless you see movement into the field....large flocks all over my permissions at the moment but they are coming and going as large flocks

Best pigeon shooting at the moment is dawn and dusk flightlines when the wind is up....can get about an hour of good sport and bag more than you will sat in a hide all day watching big flocks come and go.

Won't be long until everyone is out roost shooting in February ,,, another alternative to trying to decoy at this time of year.

Hi All,

Good advice on walking off birds on nearby fields if poss, agree that flight line shooting birds on their way to and from to the roosting woods may be better, especially on rape!

If you have the wood on permission get in there after the pheasant season finishes, around 2pm early enough to have a look around for signs of pigeon p..!.

when you find a well used tree, get yourself tucked under a tree within gun shot range and with the wind at your back, some decent cartridges and preferably some thing to blend you in to the background and away you go.

you cant beat it for sporting shots if the wind is up.

flycoy

Thanks to you both, What you have suggested makes good sense. This is my first year as a shooter so I am eager to get any advice I can.

The roosting woods are not on my permission,and there is a road running parralel to the wood but I think if I set up in a bale hide in front of the wood and along the flight line, then I may have some success. The hide is set almost in the middle of the field so I think that I am a safe area.

Thanks again for the help, and good hunting.

hillside1945

If you can get out now, then spread a tarp out and when you set up tomorrow, take it off and you'll have snow free crop to put your decoys on, alternatively, spread a spare camo net on the snow and then lay the decoys out - worked for me in the past.

AB

I have a camo tarp. Do you think that by put it out on top of the snow and placed decoys on top it would full the pigeons?

I have a camo tarp. Do you think that by put it out on top of the snow and placed decoys on top it would full the pigeons?

:no: a wouldn't think so bud....but would be good to put it down on a area were theres nee snow and shift it nextday if there was snow forecast again following day or it might help thaw it if you lay it down and try next day.