ferreting newbie help????

ferretfan123

Hi, new to ferreting and just wondering on people's opinions on purse nets? Poly, spun poly, hemp? Pro's, cons. What's the difference between 4oz/10 oz (obviously not the weight). I.e why use one over the other. Finally have some ferreting permission even though I know it's a bit late in the season. I don't what to turn up and look a tit (excuse my french). Any tips or suggestions or tips would be very grateful. Thanks josh.

P.s if any one is selling a carry box or nets please inbox me.

buy some spun poly nets. don't buy the cheap nylon **** they will tangle and pick up every bit of **** near them then wont purse. I assume you have ferrets already, hopefully from good working stock. get yourself a locater and get the ferrets used to wearing the collars in the hutch before taking them out. start with small sets first.

get yourself some ply and make yourself a box that's part of the fun, although there cheap as chips on evilbay.

now get out josh and let the thunder below your feet begin. I look forward to a full write up :good:

buy some spun poly nets. don't buy the cheap nylon **** they will tangle and pick up every bit of **** near them then wont purse. I assume you have ferrets already, hopefully from good working stock. get yourself a locater and get the ferrets used to wearing the collars in the hutch before taking them out. start with small sets first.

get yourself some ply and make yourself a box that's part of the fun, although there cheap as chips on evilbay.

now get out josh and let the thunder below your feet begin. I look forward to a full write up :good:

only if your to lazy to pick the bits of carp out of them

I used to go ferreting almost every weekend until recently. I made all my own nets using spun polyester. As said above the thin nylon nets are ok but spun polyester is better in my opinion as it is a bit thicker and won't tangle/pick up as many sticks etc, you soon get tired of untangling the thin nylon ones. Making your own is much cheaper and surprisingly easy once you have made a few. Plus you can make nets to match the size of the holes as they do differ quite a bit. Google agouti net making for supplies, he also has some good videos to get you started. I always used quite bright colours for my nets as they are much easier to find again and the rabbits don't mind.

As said above a locator and spade are essential, boxes are easily made. Also look up 'poke nets' it is handy to have a couple in the bag.The main thing is to be as quiet as you can while setting up and while the ferrets are down, if the rabbits know you are there they will be less likely to bolt, possibly resulting in more digging which is never fun. Also take water and a bowl if you're out for a while to give them a drink if they want it. I used to give mine a bit of food before going but not much. Too much and they can't be bothered and too little they probably won't work well, no one performs well on an empty stomach.

Good luck and have fun

I always used hemp nets and a mate and me often used to make our own; the kits are relatively cheap and you can make loads from one ball of hemp. Have never tried spun polyester but it seems they're popular. I still have a rucksack full of hemp nets up at the farm but rarely use them nowadays as I much prefer to bolt rabbits to my gun; had my fill of digging many years ago. Great fun all the same.

I used to go ferreting almost every weekend until recently. I made all my own nets using spun polyester. As said above the thin nylon nets are ok but spun polyester is better in my opinion as it is a bit thicker and won't tangle/pick up as many sticks etc, you soon get tired of untangling the thin nylon ones. Making your own is much cheaper and surprisingly easy once you have made a few. Plus you can make nets to match the size of the holes as they do differ quite a bit. Google agouti net making for supplies, he also has some good videos to get you started. I always used quite bright colours for my nets as they are much easier to find again and the rabbits don't mind.

As said above a locator and spade are essential, boxes are easily made. Also look up 'poke nets' it is handy to have a couple in the bag.The main thing is to be as quiet as you can while setting up and while the ferrets are down, if the rabbits know you are there they will be less likely to bolt, possibly resulting in more digging which is never fun. Also take water and a bowl if you're out for a while to give them a drink if they want it. I used to give mine a bit of food before going but not much. Too much and they can't be bothered and too little they probably won't work well, no one performs well on an empty stomach.

Good luck and have fun

That is great advice in my opinion, I second everything you said.

The amount of times iv been ferreting with "experienced" ferrets who tramp about all over the holes, and talking then get fed up when digging is required.