Never will I do that again.

fenboy

Eat a shoveler .

Oh my god they are bloody awful.

At least I gave it a go and the dog seems happy enough :lol:

Well at least you gave it a go " Fenboy ", this is not the best month to eat duck if there been feeding on the estuary or saltings as the taste reflects on what there been eating , and in our case its on mud flats.

Geese are all right as most of them are eating grass or beet tops , and I am now going to have the same as I had last night which was goose casserole , mind you two nights running is enough and tomorrow is fish and chips night.

Well at least you gave it a go " Fenboy ", this is not the best month to eat duck if there been feeding on the estuary or saltings as the taste reflects on what there been eating , and in our case its on mud flats.

Geese are all right as most of them are eating grass or beet tops , and I am now going to have the same as I had last night which was goose casserole , mind you two nights running is enough and tomorrow is fish and chips night.

Goose casserole would be a much better bet marsh man, but first I need to shoot the goose which is not looking too likely at the moment !

shoveller,goldon eye tuffties all taste the same.like **** :) :)

Without a shadow of doubt , the worse bird I ate ( or tried to eat ) was a Curlew , that was when they were on the shooting list . In September there were just about edible but once they started eating off the mud flats they were vile , and if your dog knew he was coming home to one of them " Fenboy " for his dinner he would have kept on the other side of the river for ever. :lol:

Not enough curry powder.

Mixed game burgers are the way with the less edible stuff, you can still shoot and eat them.

Eat a shoveler .

Oh my god they are bloody awful.

At least I gave it a go and the dog seems happy enough :lol:

Edited by Penelope

Without a shadow of doubt , the worse bird I ate ( or tried to eat ) was a Curlew , that was when they were on the shooting list . In September there were just about edible but once they started eating off the mud flats they were vile , and if your dog knew he was coming home to one of them " Fenboy " for his dinner he would have kept on the other side of the river for ever. :lol:

I used to eat Curlew shot off September stubbles. Well I did once!

When my father first started wildfowling in the fifties, he shot two Brent geese on the Blackwater marshes (his first ever geese). So being the person who must eat what he shot religiously, he duly roasted the goose for sunday lunch. He told me it was by far the worst thing he had ever eaten, and on giving the remainder to the dog, promptly got the same reaction!

The other goose was chopped up and fed to the ferrets, who also turned their noses up at it.

I've eaten everything that I've ever shot on the marsh which is;

Hare, rabbit, snipe, woodcock, pheasant, partridge, mallard, wigeon, pintail (favourite duck), teal, pink footed goose, greylag, and canada goose (favourite goose), and one tufted duck which wasn't to my liking but I still ate it.

Not sure after reading this thread if I would put the gun up to a shoveler now.

Tried most things, curlew, redshank,coot, all the nasty tasting duck and tough old Canada's, but by far the worst thing was a road kill muntjac which my mate finished off, bought home and cooked. It tasted like it had been cooked in diesel ( mate is excellent game/ fish cook ). I can only presume it sufferers for some time before mate put it out of its misery,and it's flesh was pumped with adrenaline!?

Tried most things, curlew, redshank,coot, all the nasty tasting duck and tough old Canada's, but by far the worst thing was a road kill muntjac which my mate finished off, bought home and cooked. It tasted like it had been cooked in diesel ( mate is excellent game/ fish cook ). I can only presume it sufferers for some time before mate put it out of its misery,and it's flesh was pumped with adrenaline!?

Almost certainly that was the case.

The same thing happens with game birds and wildfowl. If they are not shot dead they will bleed and adrenalin will pump round their body creating an unusual chemical taste. I found this out to my cost with a mallard which was not dead when it was shot and I had to kill it. When I cooked it the meat was filled with blood and it had to go in the bin.