They wont play

deny essex

Pigeons are difficult to shoot this time of year ( unless your PC ) they are flocked up and there is a abundance of rape for them to feed on , once they are disturbed then the chances are3 they are all going to depart in a flock to a field where they are left alone , while I say they are a dumb bird they are not that dumb that they will tolerate being shiot at if they can feed somewhere else and avoid it .

But for instance on things like brussels in heavy snow they become the only food source and then it is quite possible to shoot pigeon with no hide and following birds will still come in as their mates are dropping dead , because they have to be there , they have no choice, if they were so super intelligent they would learn to feed at night !

And this is why some good bags will shortly be shot on maize covers across the UK. More Limited options means an easier time for pigeon shooters.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Errrrrrrrr! do all the post's mean I shoot the middle of the field :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No, it's a waste of time in Essex, unless we get a week of deep snow and a field of brussels to shoot over. More chance of shooting low-flying pigs in Essex!!! (no brussels here for a start).

Watch the 3rd segment of http://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/ to see another very sucessfull pigeon shooter "wasting his time" building a super-hide Motty. Why would they do that???

Do you think the pigeons know why bales are put out in a field?

No, but it's something strange and therefore to be avoided. One of my farmers put out some 50-gallon drums on a hard-hit field, intending to put rope bangers inside them. No need for the bangers, the field is cleared (Damm it!!)

Seem to work so much better than flags but they soon fill your truck up - he has put 10 out and it's done the job on an 80-acre field...

No, it's a waste of time in Essex, unless we get a week of deep snow and a field of brussels to shoot over. More chance of shooting low-flying pigs in Essex!!! (no brussels here for a start).

Watch the 3rd segment of http://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/ to see another very sucessfull pigeon shooter "wasting his time" building a super-hide Motty. Why would they do that???

Perhaps so he can hide a camera crew and a couple of journalists in it .

A fine shot for sure but I bet there are plenty of people shoot as many if not more pigeons without the need to disguise their hide as a tree.

What happens to your mensa member pigeons if they cross the county borders do they remain impossible to shoot then or do they instantly become stupid ?

It isn't a waste of time. I have shot a few pigeons in Essex from time to time. Again, I reiterate, just because a successful pigeon shooter builds some fancy hide, it DOES NOT mean it was necessary.

No, but it's something strange and therefore to be avoided. One of my farmers put out some 50-gallon drums on a hard-hit field, intending to put rope bangers inside them. No need for the bangers, the field is cleared (Damm it!!)

Seem to work so much better than flags but they soon fill your truck up - he has put 10 out and it's done the job on an 80-acre field...

Bales are something to be avoided? Strange, I shot a bag of 202 from a pair of bales pushed together with some net in front, back in the autumn of 2008. It was in Norfolk, though.

Just answer this. Do you shoot ANY pigeons? Have you ever shot any?

Steady Motty.

There are some experienced decoyers who have no problems building a hide in the middle of a field and shooting a decent bag from that hide. Cocknee on this forum is an expert at exactly that.

I have never had much success with this method but I have shot good bags from bale hides out in the middle of a field with two large round bales rolled together. I suppose that it amounts to very much the same thing.......... a hide is a hide and is intended to hide the shooter. If it does that then good oh.

I shot 139 from this bale hide last August.

DSC05585-1.jpg

It isn't a waste of time. I have shot a few pigeons in Essex from time to time. Again, I reiterate, just because a successful pigeon shooter builds some fancy hide, it DOES NOT mean it was necessary.

Bales are something to be avoided? Strange, I shot a bag of 202 from a pair of bales pushed together with some net in front, back in the autumn of 2008. It was in Norfolk, though.

Just answer this. Do you shoot ANY pigeons? Have you ever shot any?

Let me think..... Are they those grey birds I see flying about???

Not this week, no, however I have had a few lucky 10's and 20's this winter but they have been hard won and a 40+ with another shooter, when things did work a bit better.

Why do you ask?? Just because I don't often experience the same things as you? ???

Hope to get a few tomorrow, will let you know if it means so much to you.....

Steady Motty.

There are some experienced decoyers who have no problems building a hide in the middle of a field and shooting a decent bag from that hide. Cocknee on this forum is an expert at exactly that.

I have never had much success with this method but I have shot good bags from bale hides out in the middle of a field with two large round bales rolled together. I suppose that it amounts to very much the same thing.......... a hide is a hide and is intended to hide the shooter. If it does that then good oh.

I shot 139 from this bale hide last August.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//{var d=b.length;if(0{var d=window;if(d.addEventListener)d.addEventListener("load",b,!1);else if(d.attachEvent)d.attachEvent("onload", B);else{var a=d.onload;d.onload=function(){b.call(this);a&&a.call(this)}}};var n,p=function(b,d,a,c,e){this.f=b;this.h=d;this.i=a;this.c=e;this.e={height:window.innerHeight||document.documentElement.clientHeight||document.body.clientHeight,width:window.innerWidth||document.documentElement.clientWidth||document.body.clientWidth};this.g=c;this.b={};this.a=[];this.d={}},q=function(b,d){var a,c,e=d.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");if(a=e&&!(e in b.d))if(0>=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function( B){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this, B)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function( B){n.checkImageForCriticality( B)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function( B){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent( B)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in B)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=e66235459b7c368069762789d489d5a9&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=303716&p=2742328&md5check=dc5552abcba5091b1be1343298d3a351&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,eHkz5CJce7A'); //]]></script>DSC05585-1.jpg&&0){for(var>

This hide I do quite like but now we are talking stubble, not winter rape.....

Edited by kitchrat

Let me think..... Are they those grey birds I see flying about???

Not this week, no, however I have had a few lucky 10's and 20's this winter but they have been hard won and a 40+ with another shooter, when things did work a bit better.

Why do you ask?? Just because I don't often experience the same things as you? ???

Hope to get a few tomorrow, will let you know if it means so much to you.....

This hide I do quite like but now we are talking stubble, not winter rape.....

The only reason I ask is that I only ever seem to read of your many fruitless days, and not of many successes. On that basis, I just wonder how experienced a decoyer you are, that's all.

Perhaps so he can hide a camera crew and a couple of journalists in it .

A fine shot for sure but I bet there are plenty of people shoot as many if not more pigeons without the need to disguise their hide as a tree.

What happens to your mensa member pigeons if they cross the county borders do they remain impossible to shoot then or do they instantly become stupid ?

Could be that they arrive innocent from Europe in Norfolk and as they get shot at more they get more wary? Essex seems to be heavily shot judging by the number of chaps I see out and about but my local game dealer only took in 80 birds in December. Either we (all of us) are useless or it isn't as easy here as in some other parts of the country.

Could be that they arrive innocent from Europe in Norfolk and as they get shot at more they get more wary? Essex seems to be heavily shot judging by the number of chaps I see out and about but my local game dealer only took in 80 birds in December. Either we (all of us) are useless or it isn't as easy here as in some other parts of the country.

Why do you assume that these pigeons have come from abroad?

Do you think Norfolk is only shot four times a year by Motty and I share Lincolnshire with Stevo ( and soon JDog ) .

Game dealers take less birds in winter as there is less pigeon being shot , some estates allow no shooting during the game season , many pigeon shooters only come out of the woodwork for the spring drillings and summer stubbles and it is generally harder to shoot a decent bag of pigeon when they are flocked up.

The pigeons in my neck of the woods are as wild as hell and pretty decoy shy they get shot at constantly there are so many pigeon shooters locally. But I would still not have any problem shooting from the middle of any field and have done for many years successfully they take no notice of the hide whatsoever, its movement that puts them off. If you have done your homework and chosen the right field the middle is the place to be. 360 degree shooting beats being stuck in a hedge with a limited field of fire.

I think its the same in every county throughout Britain, I shoot farms where others have permission on there it dosn't stop me getting bags when they are not there.

I have to smile at some of your posts you make out that pigeons are super intelligent birds that instantly know that your in a hide with a gun and they can smell what filling is in your sarnies although you say they are only like that in Essex, peter Theobald and Geoff garrod might disagree with you

I think its the same in every county throughout Britain, I shoot farms where others have permission on there it dosn't stop me getting bags when they are not there.

I have to smile at some of your posts you make out that pigeons are super intelligent birds that instantly know that your in a hide with a gun and they can smell what filling is in your sarnies although you say they are only like that in Essex, peter Theobald and Geoff garrod might disagree with you

:good: well said.

I haven't come across any of these super intelligent pigeons yet,and I wouldn't say Essex is heavily shot especially this time of year. If I don't do very well on a day out its normally because I haven't been bothered to walk that extra 2 , 3 hundred yards to the right spot or been in too much of a hurry to set up and not sat and watched that extra 20 /30 mins, or just shot like a knob,not because they are too clever to shoot.

The only reason I ask is that I only ever seem to read of your many fruitless days, and not of many successes. On that basis, I just wonder how experienced a decoyer you are, that's all.

Over the years I have shot a few 1000 pigeons but admit that I am finding it harder year on year. I haven't blanked for 2 years but have less and less big bags - I haven't been in triple figures for 18 months either.

Thursday was a good example - maybe a 1000 birds in the area, I'm on the field where they had been for the last few days. I made a tiny, well hidden hide on the end of a hedge, 100% concealed. Nice stiff wind. They came in big bunches, upwind as intended, towards my decoys and magnet. About 60 yards out, however, they would hang on the wind and almost hover while they had a good look. They would then either see something they didn't like and drift off or see me raise my gun to have a pop at them when they would dart off on the wind in a nano second.

Next time around they used Plan B - dive downwind at high speed over the pattern, see something bad and swirl away. I did manage to hit a couple.

I took the magnet in but they then ignored me completely, landed in a tree 150 yards away, then dived down onto the crop in waves.

Restarted the magnet and an odd "Nobby-No-Mates" took the bait and paid the price.

Heavy snowstorm hit and forced me off the field.

So, I had carried the stuff half a mile to be in the right place, loads of birds about and they had made a monkey out of me again - I ended up wet and cold with 4 birds!!

Why do you assume that these pigeons have come from abroad?

Seemed to be the general ipionion some months ago. I did also say "perhaps"

Well, you have to have a bit of fun and stir up a debate don't you?? The only certain thing in pigeon shooting is that Motty will disagree with me!!

Well, you have to have a bit of fun and stir up a debate don't you?? The only certain thing in pigeon shooting is that Motty will disagree with me!!

I don't disagree with you for the sake of it. Say something sensible and I may well agree.

By the way, i'm finding it difficult to make decent bags whilst decoying at the moment. I have shot on rape recently, and the pigeons didn't behave how I wished. I as I have said before, it's not easy at the moment (generally). I have had more success on flight lines or roosting.

I'm expecting things to pick up in the next month or so, as usual.