Beretta A400 Pro's and Cons

Suffolkngood

Thinking about getting another semi. I had an A391 Duluxe Sporter from new several years back which was very reliable but to keep the gas port clean was a bit of a pain. Is the newer A400 exactly the same?

Looking to use it in the field more than clays and welcome feedback from those of you that shoot them.

Thanks

Edited by Suffolkngood

I've got the a400 Xcel and its fantastic. Never had a jam or misfire. Gas port is exceptionally easy to clean you just give the piston and inside a quick wipe- some people see how long it will cycle for without cleaning it and it lasts months so they say! I clean mine after every outing though.

There are no cons that I can think of but if I had to dream one up it would be that it's a bit too heavy; however I've got the Xcel so the xplor would be lighter anyway!

Hope that helps anyway

Mitch

Not long bought one of the new A400 action models, p/x'd my AL391 and have nothing but praise for it so far. Much nicer wood/finish and noticeable improvements to the internals design overall and far far easier to clean. In fact it's hard to see what will 'gum' up on it inside really! Lightweight and handles very similar to my old one, main reason I changed was me being a leftie and the action being the first left handed model they've brought out.

Only used on pigeons and haven't had a bad day out with it as yet, thumbs up from me :)

Been thinking about p/x my left hand m2 for the new left handed a400 ( when I find a good one second hand ) I think it's the a400 action.

They all seem to have good reviews :) I know a few people on here have the new a300 xtrema ( not sure if that's correct spelling) and they rate is highly

Been thinking about p/x my left hand m2 for the new left handed a400 ( when I find a good one second hand ) I think it's the a400 action.

They all seem to have good reviews :) I know a few people on here have the new a300 xtrema ( not sure if that's correct spelling) and they rate is highly

I find the Extrema's a bit heavy! Edited by browning123

I dislike semi auto's of any make,however I bought one for my grandson when he wanted to come shooting with me and kept on about one.i bought a400 xcell.it was new and he uses it to good effect I have to say,it has only ever had 28grm carts through it it takes him about ten minutes to clean after every outing and has never had a single jam throughout its life and has fired around 20 thousand shots.as I said I do not have any time for this type of gun myself but as for reliable well this one has proved to be nothing but.

My shooting buddy has the Xplor and I have the Xtreme.

Excellent guns, reliable, and built very well. You only need to pick one up to realise the quality.

I don't understand the posts where people say they are hard to clean! They strip down very easily and the trigger mechanism is held in with a single pin.

Highly recommended

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pdGl_6JoUWU

i too dont understand how anyone can see it as hard to clean. 1. remove magazine cap (on the extreme its one twist) and take forend off.

2. take barrel off. 3. give piston a quick clean and barrel a clean as with any shotgun.4. wipe parts over if dirty and give a light oil although this is not really needed!

This was my first ever shotgun and i cleaned it with no probs with no teaching or help just a 5 minute video from youtube, done in about 15 minutes the first time.

BTW the difference between the xplor and the unico is the xplor is 3" and the unico is 3 1/2" chambered.

good luck and get one you wont regret it!

i moved from a benelli super black eagle that although nice quality i couldnt get on with to an A400 extreme.

only issue i have had was on getting my new gun i found the camo finish was VERY poor quality, comparing it to my mates 10 bore browning gold which has been aboused for years and still looks great a new gun shouldnt have had this many chips and cracks in the camo finish so it went back and a new one sent out.. again a few issues on camo finish but i knew it would ghet a few more with me so i accepted it. looking at it i dont hink the life span of the camo finish will be that great either.

for a 3 1/2 inch gun its cycled everything flawlessly from light clay loads (i had to try it on clays) to big beefy 64g loads. im always skpetical of features like kick off etc but this gun does seem so much friendlier on the shoulder than my benelli did.

i think the only thing that would make me sell my A400 is if they release an extreme in true left hand, although i can fire mine so well left handed i havent even put the cast altering shims in i would like a true leftie so theres no carts going infront of my face and less chance of a blast of crud in my eyes (which hasnt happened to me yet) also like the look of the optifade camo which wasnt available when i bought mine

my mates a real browning fan but he loves my beretta... in fact his semi is in the doctors getting a new firing pin and hes borrowed one of mine the last two weekends we have been out and each time hes asked for my A400....

• 3 months later...
Guest cookoff013

I've had a swing or two with A400's. Very nice guns. The owners tell me they are a pain in the bum to clean.

I use a Benelli Raffaello which i wipe over and every 500 shots or so clean the bolt. For me the Benelli is the better gun and better option.

i went for a benelli comfort. a montefeltro in plastic drag. its fantastic. completely modernised. i went for the simple inertia because, even though i like cleaning guns, i dont want a pain to keep clean. i tested mine will all shells and it fails to cycle 21g loads, just straight fails to eject or even get close to ejecting. bolt came back about an inch.

i tried this against my friends webley and i prefer the benelli.

i went for the 30" sport and is not slow on handling, there is faster but hardly would notice.... just getting used to the cycling. i have to admit its very solid but smooth in doing its thing. i read up on the models and care and they are very robust guns, i will say i keep the rails well lubricated and it cycles down to 24gram international loads.

i am glad i got the benelli, its too simple and can be stripped and cleaned properly, (as with most) but has no gas ports.

i watched a bazillion youtube vids on how to strip and lube the action. and i`ve not even come close to a failure.....(baring that 21g load i tried.)

i do not regret buying it, but maybe it could have been cheaper. i looked around and hardly any 2nd hand. or the newer models (vinci etc)

I have the A400 extreme.

I had an Al391 which gave 10 years faithful service and eventually started showing its age. I wanted 1 gun that is as flexible as possible and can handle 28g clay loads up to 3.5" fowling loads.

The A400 fitted the bill nicely, It is easy peasy to clean once you get used to it and has a self cleaning action in the gas port. it has had some 2000 shots through it without hiccup.

My old Al391 was very soft shooting. The A400 with kick off is superb. 28g-32g loads are a doddle and the main selling point for me.

rgds

GSAW