Which semi auto?

Psyxologos

I am in the market for new semi auto (my first, so far I have only owned a s/s and an o/u), and having read the myriads of reviews and watched countless youtube video reviews I am none the wiser. I think I have a good grasp on the technicalities of some of the guns, I was just hoping that you would share your impressions of owning your semi auto. What are the pros, what are the cons. What you like about it and what you do not. Maybe a few pointers as to what to look out when I buy one? ones to avoid? My budget is between £700-£900, which hopefully will buy me a good reliable semi auto. Thanks in advance!

Sorry, a few more details. I want a synthetic (most probably), 12g, 3 1/2 inch chamber, steel proofed. Sorry for the omission earlier.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks. Well, my budget is given and does not change, so I hope I'll find something within that. I was just reading some of the other threads. Is there a difference between companies when it comes to ease of cleaning? As I have said, I am used to the straightforward cleaning of my over and under and my side by side, and looking at some of the youtube videos makes me worry a bit...

Edited by Psyxologos

Whatever you do pick them all up and shoulder them!

I had a £1000 budget when I set out on a similar quest to you,only difference was I already had an old Benelli already so wasn't new to semis.

After much reading and asking here I narrowed my choice to four guns. I went to the shooting show knowing I'd see them all and hoping to come away with a gun.

My choices were the SX3, the Maxus and a Remington Sporter though that wasn't 3.5" chamber, and the Berretta Xtreme.

I pretty much dismissed them all instantly once I handled them and opted for the Xtreme on the basis that it felt better for me. The others felt like toys in comparison, but that's not to say they were bad guns, they all had excellent reviews.

I walked away without a gun because my budget wasn't quite enough and waited till I could get the gun I wanted.

Whatever you choose, enjoy the quest, there's nothing like hunting for a new gun :)

Edited by Cosd

For your budget, a new SX3, Remington versamax or a second hand A400/A300 extrema or a maxus.

If at all possible try and hold and shoot them all and see which one fits best, some people find that the barretta's fit them better, some the winchester/remington/browning.

The SX3 and maxus fitted me best, and since I don't need 3.5" chamber and preferred the styling I ended up with a maxus carbon sporting.

Pros

easy to shoot

well balanced

speed loading

very little felt recoil

Cons

takes longer to clean than a OU (about 10-15 minutes more for me to strip and clean)

gas guns need more regular cleaning than recoil operated guns (look at a Benelli, or new Browning A5?)

needs a long gun slip (54" Jack Pyke pro sport for my 28" maxus)

I did not have your budget so went for the Arsam A612 and I must admit I love the gun. With a few more £'s would I have gone of the same gun..... yup. My semi is a work horse in that it will be my go to gun for Pigeons, pest control and rough shooting while the O/U Fabarm Elos C is my game gun and clay basher.

If your semi is going to be something a little more special then the SX3 would be a good gun

As for cleaning...... the semi takes three times as long as the O/U but it is ok....

The biggest hurdle is finding one that fits .....I had a hatsan and it never missed a beat just didn't give me the "mojo" I have from from my other gun. Went to the store and tried (played with) most and the SX3 felt good as did the Maxus (more expensive I know) but the Maxus had something. I find that shooting is a lot about being confident in your gun and cartridge, then you have only got yourself to moan at when you miss. Maxus for me and I've never looked back ! There aren't really any bad ones out there anymore more so it's all personal choice. Take you time is my advise

"Advice"

Thanks guys, Yes the SX3 is a strong contender. Cleaning the new gun will be a major factor in my decision, this is why I asked...

Andrew, I like your optimism. My budget does not reach that far...

The A300 outlander is in your budget just doesn't have the 3 1/2 inch chamber

3 1/2 inches is very big. Even the Americans reckon so.

Check out the Just Cartridges web site, that'll tell you just how beefy the largest 2 3/4 inch cartridges are. 43 grams! that's a very beefy load, and probably very rarely used.

Maybe consider what the requirement for 3 1/2 inches is costing you in useability, weight, and money?

3 1/2 inches is very big. Even the Americans reckon so.

Check out the Just Cartridges web site, that'll tell you just how beefy the largest 2 3/4 inch cartridges are. 43 grams! that's a very beefy load, and probably very rarely used.

Maybe consider what the requirement for 3 1/2 inches is costing you in useability, weight, and money?

Chances are if you want a 3.5 " chamber you are thinking of doing some wildfowling , no way on gods earth will you get 43 grams of steel shot in a 2 3/4 inch cartridge

I can just fit 42 grams into a 3.5 " case.

As for which gun for your budget I would be looking at a sx3 or if you can find one a Beretta xtrema 2 that may be pushing your Budget though .

I personally shoot a Remington Versamax you may struggle to find one for your budget but if you can they are a great gun and without doubt the easiest to clean gas auto I have ever had, not that it needs a full clean very often , mine gets one every 1000 cartridges or so and cycles faultless .

Chances are if you want a 3.5 " chamber you are thinking of doing some wildfowling , no way on gods earth will you get 43 grams of steel shot in a 2 3/4 inch cartridge

I can just fit 42 grams into a 3.5 " case.

As for which gun for your budget I would be looking at a sx3 or if you can find one a Beretta xtrema 2 that may be pushing your Budget though .

I personally shoot a Remington Versamax you may struggle to find one for your budget but if you can they are a great gun and without doubt the easiest to clean gas auto I have ever had, not that it needs a full clean very often , mine gets one every 1000 cartridges or so and cycles faultless .

That's definitely something worth looking at. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

If you do not intend to do any foreshore wildfowling there is no real benefit in having a 3.5" chamber , if that is the case have a look at the Beretta 391 you should get a nice one for £700 and of all the guns mentioned the Berettas hold their value the best.