Which semi auto?

Psyxologos

Do you mean NEW as in brand new or simply new to you?

Your market is somewhat limited in new new for your budget, and personally I would suggest you spend your budget on a known make used, rather than a cheaper new.

We all like/rate different guns, get one that fits, simple as!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i looked at a Winchester SX3 a while back and a thought the plastic fore stock felt very cheap and small just my opinion

I felt exactly the same, this was also the case with the Maxus.

That is though just the aesthetics, by all accounts they are good guns.

New to me, sorry. Although I recall my rfd showed me some new beretas or Winchester (I cannot remember) when I had an academic interest a few months back. Yes, I need a 3 1/2 inch for geese, but I plan to use the gun for pest control too. I will keep my miroky mk70 for clays and game, if and when I go after some...

My current sa is a browning A5 -the new one- before this one it was a browning gold. Both have been up to expectations -good guns so far.

I would go for a well known brand gun that fits. Try a few and make your pick. I know there are a lot of people on here that are crazy about one brand and others that really like the other... But you really cannot go far wrong by choosing one of a brand like browning, beretta, winchester and so on.

I personally shoot a Remington Versamax you may struggle to find one for your budget but if you can they are a great gun and without doubt the easiest to clean gas auto I have ever had, not that it needs a full clean very often , mine gets one every 1000 cartridges or so and cycles faultless .

Wow. This is encouraging. I currently clean my o/u and my s/s every time I go out shooting. If this is the case then ease of cleaning is pretty immaterial.

Wow. This is encouraging. I currently clean my o/u and my s/s every time I go out shooting. If this is the case then ease of cleaning is pretty immaterial.

The cleaning issue is a BIG debate and in the end its down to the user!

My shotguns get cleaned every use, semi or O/U.

If I left my Beretta 391 for 1000 shots before cleaning I would need a hammer and chisel to clean the burnt residue from it.

If I left my Beretta 391 for 1000 shots before cleaning I would need a hammer and chisel to clean the burnt residue from it.

That's what I thought might be the case. But if cleaning a semi auto once every 1000 shots does not affect accuracy or damage the gun where is the problem?As I wrote earlier, I was told I should clean my shotguns each time I comeback from an outing, and this is what I have been doing. I have to say though I never shoot more that 15-20 shots (if I am lucky) but it is often wet and miserable so I do so to prevent rust. If it is a synthetic shotgun we are talking about, would it matter, other than making sure the internal mechanism is operating properly? I tend to over worry about these things but the discussion about cleaning that just sprung here makes me think...

I don't understand why you wouldn't clean a gun after every use? Even just for piece of mind that everything is working as it should after use.

That is my sentiment. I am just playing devil's advocate here. So how long does it take you on average to clean your semi auto (and which one is it)? I watched a few youtube videos and they take the gun completely apart, trigger, barrel, forend, chamber etc. That looks really complicated. I guess it gets easier with time, but I am just wondering.

I watched a video where a guy from Berretta demonstrates how to clean an A400 Xplor and an Xtreme like mine.
He stated that the gun can go for 10,000 rounds before needing cleaning!!

I try to clean as often as possible, but I might go out two or three times without a clean.

Regards stripping the gun, though I haven't timed it, I reckon I could strip it down including trigger mechanism and bolt assembly out in under a minute.
Obviously you can be as meticulous as you like taking hours polishing every nook and cranny, but a general clean would take no more than ten minutes including taking gun apart and putting back together.

This is my second semi auto, the other being a Benelli 121, and I don't really see an issue with cleaning. Yes it needs a little more than an over and under but it's not a scary as I thought reading posts when I was contemplating my first one.

Cos

Edited by Cosd

When I say mine goes a 1000 between cleans , that is a full strip down , it is wiped over and a drop of oil put on the bolt slides after each trip to the marsh .

I would agree about the 391 as I had one before the versamax the carbon build up in the piston is a pain as there is not a great deal of room to get to it .

The Versamax's two pistons are much easier to clean and a 4.10 cleaning rod and brush fits in the pistons chambers perfectly .

When I say mine goes a 1000 between cleans , that is a full strip down , it is wiped over and a drop of oil put on the bolt slides after each trip to the marsh .

I would agree about the 391 as I had one before the versamax the carbon build up in the piston is a pain as there is not a great deal of room to get to it .

The Versamax's two pistons are much easier to clean and a 4.10 cleaning rod and brush fits in the pistons chambers perfectly .

I wasn't aware the 391 was like that, the account I gave for cleaning was based on the A400, where the piston is large enough to put a finger through it with a cloth to clean that area.

I wasn't aware the 391 was like that, the account I gave for cleaning was based on the A400, where the piston is large enough to put a finger through it with a cloth to clean that area.

Then that may be easier , I was quoting deckers , I believe some of the later 391s had a self cleaning piston which helped with the carbon build up issue.

I have only ever fully stripped and cleaned my SX3 a couple of times in the years I have had it. I am with Fenboy on this one after most trips on the foreshore a quick wipe down is more than enough. But I see my semi auto of more of a "tool" than a thing of beauty whereas my clay and game gun is meticulously cleaned after every outing.