can my Pregnant wife shoot

polester

Does anybody know if it's ok to carry on clay shooting while pregnant, My wife's keen to keep going but is worried about the noise

A baby's hearing is developing all the time and roughly half way through pregnancy it can hear sounds from outside the womb.

It would probably be ok for the first few months, after that it would probably become more of a risk.

Posed the same question to our doctor fairly recently.

1st trimester no evidence to suggest there'll be a problem.... but wouldn't advise. Anything after that was a definite no.

I'd still suggest seeing what your doctor says though.

Posed the same question to our doctor fairly recently.

1st trimester no evidence to suggest there'll be a problem.... but wouldn't advise. Anything after that was a definite no.

I'd still suggest seeing what your doctor says though.

I have to agree, once the baby has developed hearing the sudden loud noise of a shotgun could not only cause the unborn baby to become very nervous of loud noises but I would think it could seriously affect the babys nervous system with possible problems in future life. noise in general like car engines or tv programs is not such a problem as it tends to be more continuous and not sudden short sharp noises. We took our 2 month old baby to a stock car race track, he was asleep in the carry cot , we sat by the finish line and every time a car went past the sudden loud exhaust noise would make him jump even in his sleep, which didnt last long once the race started, we thought better of it and moved to a much quieter place to watch the rest of the races. :whistling::whistling:

I'd be more worried about miscarriage than the babies hearing. The shock wave from a shotgun reverberates throughout the body. Repeat that 50 or 100 times - who knows what could happen?

Personally I would not take the chance. It is only 9 months - wait it out.

My aunt was born in the middle of an air raid in1941 in an area which was bombed by the Luftwaffe on no less than 14 separate occasions in the preceeding 9 months.

Whilst carrying her, her mother was bombed out, her home destroyed whilst she was still in it, 3 times!

My aunt grew up to be perfectly normal.

My second ex wife shot regularly whilst pregnant and my youngest son, who endured it, is also perfectly normal and not in the least gun shy. In fact he`s in the army and won an award for being the best shot in his recruit intake.

Thinking about it, she also rode a horse up until she was eight months pregnant.

Just a personal experience as a guide.

My wife was late in pregnancy with our daughter. She decided a bath was necessary. I filled the bath with hot after she had gone a bit cold and let some of the water out.

As the plug went back in to the plug hole, pushed by half a bath full of water, the noise was as you would expect - I saw the baby's hands and arms all spread out at once in a startled reflex.

Check the development profiles, as loud, unexpected noises will startle the baby.

Didnt seem to do mine any harm though, she's doing her PhD now at Cambridge.

I have to agree, once the baby has developed hearing the sudden loud noise of a shotgun could not only cause the unborn baby to become very nervous of loud noises but I would think it could seriously affect the babys nervous system with possible problems in future life. noise in general like car engines or tv programs is not such a problem as it tends to be more continuous and not sudden short sharp noises. We took our 2 month old baby to a stock car race track, he was asleep in the carry cot , we sat by the finish line and every time a car went past the sudden loud exhaust noise would make him jump even in his sleep, which didnt last long once the race started, we thought better of it and moved to a much quieter place to watch the rest of the races. :whistling::whistling:

As an instructor and having worked for professional grounds , it is advised not to let a pregnant lady shoot due to babies hearing not being protected. Some grounds insurance will not allow it.