What time pigeons start flighting in the morning

rich1985

As title suggests what time they starting in morning. Got a field of rape I've been leaving woodies on quiet to build up on and going to have ago tomorrow, been up 3 times aday for the last week watching them etc always a nice lot on there. I'm lucky the farmer on the farm I look after shall we say isn't your typical farmer, he doesn't deploy all sorts of scaring devices and understands the pigeons will get killed if left quiet. Far to many of our farmer friends panic at the sight of 10 pigeons. He has said to me on many occasion that he hasn't seen a crop recover from a bit of pigeon damage. Only time I haven't been able to get up to the field tho is first light because of work commitments.

They will leave the roost at first light if the conditions are right, if its raining or very windy they will stay in the trees for some time, eventually they will move but not with any enthusiasm, Ive had odd days where ive set up before it gets light , then just waited, first birds are coming in as soon as they can see well enough, first light depends on the time of year , most birds are the same, corvids will move as soon as there is enough light to see and will go on feeding into the dusk when the light is already too bad to shoot, shame pigeons are not as keen, around here they seem to go to roost at least an hour before dark. :yahoo::yahoo: