Deer rifle question

mossberg-operator

In the thinking progress for applying for FAC. Would be deer stalking mainly. Don't know much about rifles. What to get/apply for? What caliber? ((England and Scotland). Might use it on boar abroad. Using an old bolt action military rifle a stupid idea for this? My FAC holder mate says buy something modern in .270 because of weight (carrying around on the field), gun shop same. What are your thoughts on this? Thx!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the big stumbling block would be military calibers not being an option for european trips

Not quite so.

The other year here in France when some European regs or other changed we were suddenly allowed mil calibres as bolt actions on our 'Normal' licences.

Befroe this they were in the old categories and needed seperate Authorisation.

We now have easy access to some lovely Lee Enfields etc

Not quite so.

The other year here in France when some European regs or other changed we were suddenly allowed mil calibres as bolt actions on our 'Normal' licences.

Befroe this they were in the old categories and needed seperate Authorisation.

We now have easy access to some lovely Lee Enfields etc

Steve

A Mate of mine has .303" and .308" for deer, it really is down to your preference and your wallet!

Good luck

. Thx for all answers! Was thinking about the Lee-Enfield actually! Got one in my local shop, 303". Could do with a makeover... Would it be possible to modernise it? Woodwork, scope, etc? Is there a plastic stock for it? It is a durable, proven rifle. Not sure about ammo availability and cost, compared to modern rifles.. Or should I go the other way? Modern. Remington? Everyone says buy something in .270...

.270 is a good choice, fast and flat, hard hitting. I have shot wild boar on the continent with 156 grains Sako Hammerhead and is perfect. Is all about shot placement. Here i'm using the 130 grains Sako Powerhead (Barnes TSX) is all you will ever need in UK. As per rifle and having the wild boar in mind, i just paid deposit for a Blaser R8 Professional with semi-heavy barrel, and i'm waiting for my variation to come through. PM me if you want to have a look ;)

You are apparently not vastly experienced or knowledgeable, that is not a criticism.

So stick to something simple, easy to find, versatile, and lots of ammo choices...... my 700 SPS is also a pussycat to shoot!.

.308 :good:

+1. The only rifle you'll ever need in the UK. Don't tell the FEO that though... ;-)

What about a parkerhale 308,cheap and cheerful looks kind of retro,have look on gun trader.

I have a sporterized winchester p14 (fultons)that was a 303 now it's been turned into a 308 with a heavy target barrel and has had a pictanniny rail professionally fitted to take a scope,but I wouldn't like to carry it far Though.

What about a parkerhale 308,cheap and cheerful looks kind of retro,have look on gun trader.

I have a sporterized winchester p14 (fultons)that was a 303 now it's been turned into a 308 with a heavy target barrel and has had a pictanniny rail professionally fitted to take a scope,but I wouldn't like to carry it far Though.

I had a Parker hale in 308. The action is a Mauser which I like but if I remember right not a controlled feed so must be chambered muzzle up, maybe wrong on that, long time ago. They only came in a long action I think again. A308 looks tiny in that action!

Great trigger though. Just change a small spring for a different range of adjustment.

U.

you don't say what deer.

have you shot CF rifles before?

what is the actual likelihood of going out for boar?

it also doesn't make a blind bit of difference what calibre/cartridge you get

get one that fits you, fits your budget and most importantly you can shoot well

money does not buy this. don't be put off by 2nd hand, there is a lot out there

all the gun in the world isn't going to help if you are 100lbs wet through and shooting a lightweight magnum cartridge and it is kicking lumps out of you!

go shoot someone else's

see what you like, some people find recoil offputting and develop a flinch very quickly.

others simply don't notice it.

you don't say what deer.

have you shot CF rifles before?

what is the actual likelihood of going out for boar?

it also doesn't make a blind bit of difference what calibre/cartridge you get

get one that fits you, fits your budget and most importantly you can shoot well

money does not buy this. don't be put off by 2nd hand, there is a lot out there

all the gun in the world isn't going to help if you are 100lbs wet through and shooting a lightweight magnum cartridge and it is kicking lumps out of you!

go shoot someone else's

see what you like, some people find recoil offputting and develop a flinch very quickly.

others simply don't notice it.

Hi! Red and roe we got on the permission. Boar: going abroad each year, Alsace and Hungary. So once a year probably. My weight is much closer to 200lb... Shot AK on full auto, was ok with the recoil... No, don't really have experience with CF rifles. Hence this topic. Thank You for the advice!