Deer rifle question

mossberg-operator

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not be iteested in a remmie again unless it was from the early nineties or older.

Tikka, Howa and CZ would come first today, or a Weatherby, an older Sako and then there is Winchester 70.

All better than current 700s in my opinion!

U.

Perhaps we are wondering off down the Hatsan route...actually no, nothing can be as bad as Hatsan.

My 700 SPS is about 7-8 years old, it was one of the first with the X-Mark Pro trigger and has been the subject of the recent trigger recall.

Regardless of this appalling inconvenience, it has never missed a beat, never had a trigger problem and has delivered PRVI .308 150g SP into an inch all day, that does for me.

I was warned of doom and gloom if I bought one, (already, and still, owning 2 Tikkas), everyone said the Remington wasn't a patch on them, simple fact is there is nothing to choose between all of mine, they all work and they all deliver 1" with PRVI, and in my line of work that is just fine.

Guess I've been lucky, I think I must be very lucky, because ALL my rifles work, certrefires and rimfires, actually shotguns as well, it was just a Hatsan that the barrel blew up on and went back for a refund, and technically that was not mine, I bought it for my boy!

:/:good:

Gents I will try and answer all of you so forgive me if I fail.

My last Remmie was Deckers vintage. 308 sps tac.

I was excited when I got it as in the nineties I had 2 bdl and a friend had a bdl in 17. They were all mustard out the box! Not my sps! The biggie was the bolt handle touching the stock, it would not shoot any load until I noticed it. As soon as it was fixed there it did shoot.

The trigger was useless. It took me 6 hours to fix to a nice 1&3/4lb. It was OK for me a tinkerer but for a new guy it would of been bad!

New model 7s have awful triggers!

It is a shame after knowing how they use to be.

I meant Weatherby vanguard models. Basically a Howa.

I like this platform and in 243 preferred the rifling over the Remington! The vanguard trigger is easy to fix. Like a tikka!

Tikka are good but somehow feel boring! An odd statement I know and please don't ask me to explain.

I don't want to sound biased against any rifle but was bearing in mind the new guy!

U.

Anyone at Catton or garlands and have seen my 30.06 hit the gongs at 250 - 400 yards will tell you it ain't too bad.

£ for £ you can compare it to your nice new remy, howa, tikka tell you what take your pick. Lol

A nice little rifle accurate to where I need it to be, and cost me a mint, well a few mints actually, £299 worth of mints. Its a 2nd hand Browning A bolt. Does what it supposed to do, and does it with clout !!!

Edited by Dougy

Anyone at Catton or garlands and have seen my 30.06 hit the gongs at 250 - 400 yards will tell you it ain't too bad.

£ for £ you can compare it to your nice new remy, howa, tikka tell you what take your pick. Lol

A nice little rifle accurate to where I need it to be, and cost me a mint, well a few mints actually, £299 worth of mints. Its a 2nd hand Browning A bolt. Does what it supposed to do, and does it with clout !!!

Nowt wrong with an 06 Douglas :-)

It was a neat rifle I enjoyed shooting it even hit things with it.

Some of those PH are excellent.......people seem to have largely forgotten about them, but there are some little gems out there for no money!

Very true indeed. I picked up an 7mm ultralight delux, factory glass bedded and shoots superbly. A gem and a Wabbitbosher bargain. Turns out spares are readily available from Norman Clark who has recently put all the parts diagrams online. The bolt engineering is more CZ than Anschutz but does the job very nicely. The trigger is a peach, I could hardly be happier.

I've got a PH 270 safari, great rifle shoots straight and cost £150.00, and as it has only been used for occasional stalking the rifling is still very good. The action is sloppy until the round is chambered then it goes tight, once you get used to it it is fine.

Scobydog

That is a Mauser action for you!

I would not be iteested in a remmie again unless it was from the early nineties or older.

Tikka, Howa and CZ would come first today, or a Weatherby, an older Sako and then there is Winchester 70.

All better than current 700s in my opinion!

U.

Please say you simply forgot to add Browning to your list, I have an XBolt & the addition of the SF trigger has all but sorted the brands recent issues with their rifle range it is exceptional and up there with the other excellent contenders you listed,...........and breeth

Please say you simply forgot to add Browning to your list, I have an XBolt & the addition of the SF trigger has all but sorted the brands recent issues with their rifle range it is exceptional and up there with the other excellent contenders you listed,...........and breeth

I have experience of one bud :-)

U.

Is the problem a newish one with browning's, I really must say my Abolt has been almost faultless apart from me oiling the firing pin with an oil that sort of slowed the pin down a tad in cold weather :whistling: a stupid thing to do just before a weekend out for Fallow.

Apart from that i would have a twin for the one i have any day.

Dougy from what i have read & been told there were a few things users of A bolts in the US complained about, with browning wanting a bigger slice of the rifle pie they made a big song & dance about listening to customer suggestions and addressing them with the xbolt

as with anything if you have a gun which your happy with and it works for you then theres no reason for you to listen to other peoples issues with their guns, the A bolt in my opinion is a quality gun.