Sloe Gin

ollie

Didn't want to hijack the other thread regarding bramble whiskey.

My Sloes were soaked in gin almost 3 months ago now. One of them has a stick of cinnamon & the other a little vanilla. I have no interest in drinking it now as I want it for after a shoot day, so will it keep until next season? Should I remove the sloes now and store the gin until next season or am I better keeping the sloes in the jars?

Also, if I open it for a sneaky sip, would it keep to next season?

Bottle it now, you wont draw anything more from the berries. But if you leave it a year the alcohol will mellow and it is much richer drink, totally superior. As for floaty bits. Strain it through a pair of the wifes tights!

So strain it now, bottle it & leave it till next season?

We make sloe gin one year; the next sloe season usually sees the last year crop into brandy for another year. Sloe gin is more popular than the brandy, but it ekes out the gin, come Christmas, for prezzies around the family. I might have nearly finished the 2005 sloe gin by now. No real comparison with shop bought stuff. No shortage of demijohns around here. About forty currently in use, mainly for wines.

I missed a few seasons, what with the ticker problems, but there are about 2-3kg sloes in the freezer at the moment, just waiting for me to decide the next recipe.....

RAB

As a Christmas present my missus was given something resembling sloe gin.

It was a fancy bottle, about half a litre, of vodka or gin with just half a dozen or so sloes in it.

Enough to colour the spirit and enough to flavour it so I couldn't tell if it were vodka or gin.

It was very nice and a really good thing to make or receive as a gift.

Shaun is the man for this - does something with dark chocolate if I remember correctly :/

That was my thought - if they have lost their astringency, and are palatable, I would chill (maybe individually freeze) then dip in semi-sweet dark chocolate and allow to harden.

• 3 weeks later...

3 to 4 months is fine' strain and Bottle and keep as long as you wish.

A couple of tips I was given for the Alcohol soaked fruit is to have with Ice Cream as an Adult desert or when you Roast a Bird Duck/goose ect or Venision is to Mash the fruit into the pan juices of your roast to create a nice sauce.

Heres a photo of Some damson Gin and Vodka I made a few years ago that was ready for Christmas that year. IT was a good year for damsons.A brace of mallard also for the Table.

Image0104_zpstrc5xtmm.jpg