New hunting rifle??

Nicholas Bottoms

Hello all, I was just wondering what air rifle/s you would suggest for hunting rabbits/squirrels and rats? I have up until now been using a Webley Vulcan mkIII, I have been looking at the Steoger ATAC Suppressor. It's not too expensive and looks a nice powerful rifle. What are thoughts on CO2 air rifles or is there a better springer out there for similar money, thought appreciated.

HM

The trouble you have with CO2 rifles is the zero point can change with temperature. So for example if you set your zero on an indoor range and then go hunting like it is now you will find that the power output can drop by a couple of ft/lb due to the properties of CO2 this means your are constantly rezeroing to take into account current ambient temperature. If you are looking at the Stoeger new I would possibly look to get a decent 2nd hand springer for the same money something like a HW95 or even a 99S may be push but they are out there.

Cheers Neil

Airgun manufacturers have a habit of giving their products silly names that will attract gullible people to buy mediocre rubbish.

Think "Atack Suppressor" or however it's spelt and practice saying it to yourself for when someone asks you what you just missed with.

What is your budget for gun only?

Airgun manufacturers have a habit of giving their products silly names that will attract gullible people to buy mediocre rubbish.

Think "Atack Suppressor" or however it's spelt and practice saying it to yourself for when someone asks you what you just missed with.

What is your budget for gun only?

i quite like the sound of the new super stalker silent assassin the one with the the military spec pin point accue scope

lol colin

i quite like the sound of the new super stalker silent assassin the one with the the military spec pin point accue scope

lol colin

Just imagine it!

"clonk" barrel opening. Load pellet.

"Clonk" barrel closing.

"Ting" Safety off.

"Creak" Take up trigger slack.

"BOING, THUD" Firing cycle.

"********, MISSED" Frustrated owner.

That's the Super Stalker Silent Assassin!

Hello all, I was just wondering what air rifle/s you would suggest for hunting rabbits/squirrels and rats? I have up until now been using a Webley Vulcan mkIII, I have been looking at the Steoger ATAC Suppressor. It's not too expensive and looks a nice powerful rifle. What are thoughts on CO2 air rifles or is there a better springer out there for similar money, thought appreciated.

HM

There are far better guns than the steogers , for a good quality spring gun then look at the HW 80,95, 97 or 77 or the Air arms tx200 or prosport , even if it means buying S/H you will be getting a better gun , avoid BSA .

The Vulcan was not a bad gun have you thought about keeping it and treating it to a tune up.

If you have £300 for gun only mate fill your boots 2nd hand there isn't much out there you wouldn't be able to get as far as springers go though you may be pushing it for a prosport. I would check out the HW95 or 80 in break barrel and if you can handle the weight for lumping across a field an Air Arms TX200HC is easily achievable and are a joy to shoot.

As Zetter said, with that budget you have a vast choice, unfortunately you've just missed a .177TX in walnut as new, hard case, soft case, scope, pellets, cleaning kit and Combro chrono for £350 on AAOC. **** law!

Another will be along, don't spend your money on new tat when you can get nearly new for similar money.

lol colin

That literally made me choke on my breakfast biscuit. Welldone Colin haha.

I like how people buy anything with 'tactical' on it - clothing, torches, guns, knives etc...

In fairness ,the Stoeger X20 S (suppressor, meaning it's got a full barrel length moderator) isn't that bad for the price - not too noisy, I killed plenty of living things with it out to 45 yards and it was only cheap.

Hatsan 55 and 60 at the budget end of the market. Sold for twice the money as the Webley Stingray Mk 2 as well!

Going up into the upper reaches, everybody has forgotten the HW99, now the galling has been cured a superb little Rekord triggered beast that is a delight to shoot (SFS tune them up and shorten the barrel to make the SFS Imp).

Secondhand TX, Prosports, HW77, HW97, the HW95 (though if you shop hard you can pick one of these up cheaper than £300).

Co2 can be a problem but there is a way round it, buy a secondhand Umarex 850 Air Magnum, a 13 oz regulated air bottle and a Combro chrono and make your own PCP.... Then you just need a cylinder or a pump!

I think my mates selling his hw97kt,hes only used it a few times on rats,its in .22 flavour,its actually a beautiful gun,he was telling me he would probably sell it for £300,now theres a bargain,let me know via pm if interested and ill pass on his details.......DAZ

I think my mates selling his hw97kt,hes only used it a few times on rats,its in .22 flavour,its actually a beautiful gun,he was telling me he would probably sell it for £300,now theres a bargain,let me know via pm if interested and ill pass on his details.......DAZ

Pm sent