Missing so many birds (part 2)!!

yidoharry

Hi everyone, I posted a message some time ago asking the question above and was overwhelmed by the response of everyone trying to lend me advice and encouragement. I was very new to the sport then and took on as much information I could. Sadly my problem persists!! I am now changing everything from choice of choke to cartridges almost using these as an excuse for missing! I was steadily improving after taking on board the tips I was given but had to stop going shooting regularly due to opening up my fishmongers shop but since the beginning of the year have been going twice a week to get back into it. My results have been poor at best......even more frustrating I seem to be missing easy birds decoying only 20 yards away from me. I am very lucky to have permission to shoot a huge amount of land with a massive amount of birds but my results are just getting worse. I feel at times I'm aiming for quite a long time to try and make sure I get a hit and I always shut my left eye when aiming.. could it be this??? I'm at my wits end as I'm so hooked now and just want to improve, please can anyone offer some advice to help me out. I know its not easy shooting pigeons but I'm missing so many its getting a little embarrassing!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you say you are aiming then it sounds to me like you are failing to swing the gun at the target , you should be shooting at nothing other than the space in front of the bird .

It is generally the close birds that give most problems doing this as people tend to think they are so easy they just point the gun at them and forget to swing .

The pigeon is always moving so you always have to be shooting in front , keep pushing the gun through the bird , put 14/ and 1/2 in the gun and forget about chokes .

Hi

Try to put a positive into this

First your doing the crop protection by frightening them off

If your aiming your sort of tracking the bird just up with the gun and shoot keeping the gun moving

Have you been to a clay ground for a lesson or two a good coach will help a lot

Just my thoughts

Keep at it and enjoy 😀

All the best

Of

As you say you are aiming then it sounds to me like you are failing to swing the gun at the target , you should be shooting at nothing other than the space in front of the bird .

It is generally the close birds that give most problems doing this as people tend to think they are so easy they just point the gun at them and forget to swing .

The pigeon is always moving so you always have to be shooting in front , keep pushing the gun through the bird , put 14/ and 1/2 in the gun and forget about chokes .

Would this apply even if the birds are close to me? I know I should be shooting in front of the bird but unsure how far in front to shoot?

Hi Harry

Come back to me, or I can come to you on your permission if it is allowable.

Lets get you back on track.

When you left me after a session at the A1 you were shooting fine.

Terry

Hi Terry, I felt a little weird bugging you again! It was excellent last time I came down there. It would be fantastic if you were able to come on my permission. It would be no problem but I could check to make sure

Would this apply even if the birds are close to me? I know I should be shooting in front of the bird but unsure how far in front to shoot?

If the bird is in the air its moving so will require lead , lead and the way people see it means it is difficult to explain for instance one person can deal with a 40 yard pigeon by giving it more lead where as another shoots it by swinging the gun faster but seemigly puling the trigger when they are the same distance in front as the close bird , its the speed of swing that makes the difference .

If the bird is in the air its moving so will require lead , lead and the way people see it means it is difficult to explain for instance one person can deal with a 40 yard pigeon by giving it more lead where as another shoots it by swinging the gun faster but seemigly puling the trigger when they are the same distance in front as the close bird , its the speed of swing that makes the difference .

So you wouldn't say that shutting my left eye and the aiming too long is a problem then?

Edited by yidoharry

Have you checked your point of impact compared to your point of aim. In other words is the gun shooting where you think it is? Try a simple pattern test and see where its shooting.

Sorry for asking but what can I use for the pattern test....is there some sort of board etc I need to get ?

Speed of swing might be important. I noticed that I was a better shot when birds surprised me; when I shot instinctively.

A coach had me delay raising my gun to incoming birds after watching me follow them in for a good long while, and then missing. It started to work and he said that my swing was much faster. After a while I built up sight pictures and knew better what the correct lead was. Give it a try. Couldn't hurt.

Edited by pob

Speed of swing might be important. I noticed that I was a better shot when birds surprised me; when I shot instinctively.

A coach had me delay raising my gun to incoming birds after watching me follow them in for a good long while, and then missing. It started to work and he said that my swing was much faster. After a while I built up sight pictures and knew better what the correct lead was. Give it a try. Couldn't hurt.

what do mean by sight pictures?

what do mean by sight pictures?

Once you have been shooting for a while you start to build up a picture in your mind of what amount of lead a particular bird needs , so it becomes second nature rather than having to think about each and every shot , this is why with pigeon shooting the more you go the better you should get.

Just text the farmer and its fine with him! Could and would you be able to come to my permission as shooting pigeon is what I think the problem is!!

Happy to come to the farm with you.

I can bring a pattern board as well.

Give me a couple of dates and away we go.

Cheers

Terry

So you wouldn't say that shutting my left eye and the aiming too long is a problem then?

I shoot with my left eye closed , though I follow a target with bothe eyes.

As for aiming too long then yes that could be a issue because you should not be thinking about aiming a shotgun at all , shotgun shooting is instinctive .

As I said in a earlier post by you talking about aiming tells me you are aiming the bead at the target which will result in missing behind , you should be following the target with your eyes as you swing the gun and not really notice the bead at all.

I am sure Terry will get you back on track.

I had this problem 3or4yrs back,a mate of mine is a keen photographer and a keen shot,he was able to picture may shot has the bird passed through I was behind by only a few inches,I adjusted my swing I improved over night,9 times out of 10 most people shot behind not infront when they miss,golden rule look at the head not the body,swing through pull the trigger all in on movement,don't stop your swing when you pull the trigger you will miss every time,be confident keep practicing you get there.

I had this problem 3or4yrs back,a mate of mine is a keen photographer and a keen shot,he was able to picture may shot has the bird passed through I was behind by only a few inches,I adjusted my swing I improved over night,9 times out of 10 most people shot behind not infront when they miss,golden rule look at the head not the body,swing through pull the trigger all in on movement,don't stop your swing when you pull the trigger you will miss every time,be confident keep practicing you get there.

That's sounds like a great bit of advice. I'll be definitely trying to implement that.....also I think maybe waiting and taking my shot more on instinct rather than aiming too long may help

Take Terry up on his offer, having a coach in the field will be an invaluable lesson.

As much as clays will help to an extent, they are predictable and there is a limit as to what you can learn when it comes to shooting live quary. In the field, hopefully if it's a busy day you will face many more scenarios than you could ever try to recreate at a clay ground. Terry will not only show you how but just as importantly, when to take your shot.

Terry will have you back on track in no time, and he is a great guy to spend the day in a hide with to!!

Cos

Edited by Cosd