Missing so many birds (part 2)!!

yidoharry

Ah shucks.

I have gone all red.

Harry, we will spend a day together again before too long either at yours or mine.

We will try different patterns and use additional Flappers and magnets and see what happens.

Great to spend time with you, if we were not talking so much you/we may have had a few more birds

As I recall you ended the day with 7 birds for 13 shots so not too shabby at all.

Remember let instinct play it's part.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah shucks.

I have gone all red.

Harry, we will spend a day together again before too long either at yours or mine.

We will try different patterns and use additional Flappers and magnets and see what happens.

Great to spend time with you, if we were not talking so much you/we may have had a few more birds

As I recall you ended the day with 7 birds for 13 shots so not too shabby at all.

Remember let instinct play it's part.

Look forward to it Terry, would be great to try some different patterns etc.......back out this Sunday to put all I've learnt into practice!!

Well Sunday came and me and Terry met up at a local Filling station en route to my chosen farm.....The weather didn't exactly seem the best as we drove down the mist/fog seemed to be getting thicker! On arrival I was put at ease by Terry as he felt the mist would lift in due course and he was right. We proceeded to get the equipment out of the 4x4 and Terry was quick to point out that setting up the way we did would give me a good chance to get a few as I knew where they would be coming from. After explaining a few issues I raised regards the gun fit he asked me to raise the gun and assured me the gun was fine for me but noticed I was tilting my head so went to his truck and came back with a plastic "comb" (I think that's what he said) and attatched it to the stock. Now try mounting the gun he said......I raised the gun gun and it was perfect!! We sat back and waited, chatting about all manor of things from our different lives........suddenly and without warning a couple of obliging woodies came through the pattern exactly as Terry said they would but I snatched at the shot and sadly missed behind! Terry assured me there would be other opportunities and around 20 mins later another few came across the same flight path.......this time I acted more on instinct and lifted, mounted and took my shot without too much of a thought process and down came the first bird of the day......a nice shot for me and Terry was kind enough to collect the bird, as he came back he said "35 yards that one" I was pleasantly surprised and sat back down eager for more action....after a short wait the second bird of the day came my way and at 40 yards gave me even more confidence.......The action then slowed before a small flock of around 15 birds came from the opposite side but I was unfortunately pre occupied by a couple in the opposite direction and panicked a little which resulted in a miss. The day then slowed down and the birds were obviously more interested in another area far to the left of us as we saw huge flocks rising in unison every so often. The day petered out and there wasn't too many other chances to add to my total but spending time with someone with such a wealth of knowledge was invaluable for me. Lunchtime came and Terry decided to shoot off which was fine to let me tackle them on my own......I ended the day with 7 woodies in all and some decent shots which has given me renewed confidence......I have to say that I feel it would be hard to find someone like "Bakerboy" who was willing to give up he's Sunday morning and come and sit with me all to help me along in my pursuit of become a better shot. He really should be considered as one in a million and a true gent.......Thank you again Terry for all your help and guidance.....your a top instructor and man!!! :good:

Great right up and nice to see the PW Community doing its bit.

yidoharry - lots of great learning points there:

• Proper gun fit
  • Good fieldcraft
  • Patience, composure and good observation skils :lol:
  • Good company
  • The ability to analyse and learn

It can take many years to learn the required skills but it's a lot more fun than school! Well done to Bakerboy for being such a gent.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been meaning to get back to let you all know how I got on in my first full outing since I spent the day with Bakerboy but work has been mental!! I am pleased to say that after putting together all the advice from you lot and especially Terry I had what was for me a decent day. Ended the day with 10 woodies and 2 crows, but it wasn't about the numbers.......I just shot well.....still missed birds but they were challenging shots and I've always expected that it would take years to get to a high level but I enjoyed the day more than any other I've had in my fledging pursuit of pigeon. The ones I felt were birds I should take, I hit the vast majority on what was a quiet day but 28shots for the 12 birds was better than my previous outings and the fact the gun "feels" right now on mount almost gives me a sense of confidence I can take my shot and have a chance. I've still got to work on what strategy to use when a flock comes over :blush: as last time I was out two separate flocks came overhead and I looked like a jack in box trying to choose the right bird.....by the time I picked which to go for they were out of range!! I must have looked like a right plonker! Still feels good to be able to think what happened a smile. The main point here is if there's others out there who are struggling they could do themselves a lot worse than to get a lesson from Bakerboy, he's certainly got me back on track! Back out tomorrow early to improve that little more hopefully!!

I seldom shoot at really big flocks as all it does is spook a load of birds , when you get a group you do want to have a shot at pick one and stick with it do not change your mind because another now looks easier , think about the first shot only and after that then select the next bird and treat in the same manner.

I seldom shoot at really big flocks as all it does is spook a load of birds , when you get a group you do want to have a shot at pick one and stick with it do not change your mind because another now looks easier , think about the first shot only and after that then select the next bird and treat in the same manner.

good advice, choose/ identify your target and stick with it