A big thankyou!

fieldwanderer

A while ago, I started a thread on here entitled "anyone fancy a swap?" The gyst being that my permissions are virtually devoid of anything I can shoot at the moment and I was keen to get out.

ezi bez on here very kindly took me up on the offer (as did another member but I don't have his permission to say who), I was meant to be meeting him last weekend but my dog hurt her leg somehow and it didn't seem fair to leave her out, being my faithful companion and all, so I asked if we could postpone for a week and eagerly awaited this sunday.

Finally the day came and I was up at a shocking 5:45 :oops: when you're used to getting to bed a couple of hours before that, it feels like the end of the world (I work nights)! A big mug of strong coffee and breakfast later I was on the road with an hour's drive ahead of me (and another coffee in the cup holder). Eventually I arrived at Aaron's house to find him waiting for me, to my shame I was a little late having underestimated how long the journey would take. But, not a word of complaint from my host :good:

With Aaron's gear, mine, Aaron, myself and Daisy in my car, sadly there wasn't going to be room for Aaron's dog too :/ but he took it in his stride and we set out to find the pigeons. Now, Aaron has literally thousands of acres to shoot over and despite his intimate knowledge of it all, it took over an hour of driving to find a field with decent numbers on it. We pitched up at opposite ends of the field, what must have been 800yds apart and waited. Aaron was quickly into some action but I was struggling, not helped at all by the sun coming out slap bang in front of me and seriously hindering what I could see! Neither of us had thought of that!

After about an hour, it became apparent I was in the wrong place and I spotted Aaron walking across towards me - He'd been watching a lot of pigeons pitching into a different field behind me, where I couldn't see them and suggested I move to where he'd seen them. I packed up and drove round to the field in question and set everything out again only to fire two shots for the rest of the afternoon :sad1: I must be jinxed!

About mid afternoon, Aaron called to see how I was getting on and, on hearing my plight, suggested we pack up at quarter to three and go to a wood he shoots - for the roost. Sounded good to me so that was the plan :good: I bagged my first pigeon shortly after the call but that was all I'd had all day, other than one that I hit really hard but it still managed to keep going. A lot of work for one pigeon!!

Having packed up and picked Aaron up (and his 45 pigeons!), we dropped much of his gear off at his house and picked up a more than slightly disgruntled looking spaniel before heading off to the woods. Just in time for the roost (well, a little late if anything but it couldn't be helped). I managed to bag a second pigeon and remembered how much I enjoy an occasional roost shoot :yes:

So, I've fired a total of 7 cartridges and got through half a tank of diesel :oops: for two pigeons! But I still managed to enjoy myself and am still very grateful to Aaron for at least trying to help and for trusting me - Though I can understand people being apprehensive about trusting strangers on their permissions, it's rare to see and I really did appreciate it as someone who prides myself as someone who can be trusted (if you see what I mean).

So, it has to be said; Aaron's a top bloke and really knows his stuff, if you're lucky enough to get the opportunity to shoot with him - GRAB IT, you'll not be disappointed :good:

Very kind of him to invite you, but seems strange that you did not get offered the chance to share his hide, considering how many pigeons he shot. If I invited a guest and had all the shooting I would feel very guilty.

Sorry, that's something I'd forgotten to mention - he did offer but, after all the driving around and moving everything once already, I declined and decided I'd hope things picked up.