Better value in PCP used market- FAC or not

casts_by_fly

Hi Gents,

I've kicked around an air rifle for walking about near the pens and general plinking for a while now. I have a fairly good idea of what I want. However, I haven't decided FAC or not. In the shotgun market, an FAC rated shotgun on the used market is usually a bit cheaper than its non FAC equivalent because not as many people shoot FAC shotguns. Does that hold true for the Air rifle market?

I am considering guns like the AAS200, the Hatsan, or the Rotex, all in used trim. I'd like to be out the door for under £400 (ideally under £300), though I have a scope and moderator already. I don't have a slot for an air rifle on my FAC at the moment, but I have another slot I could trade 1:1 so both FAC and non are on the table. If an FAC gun will be cheaper for a comparable gun, then I'll open up the search a bit more.

Thanks,

Rick

One thing I found when doing a one for one to change my FAC air recently is they can be a bit cheaper than their non FAC equivelents but not by as much as people think. I think there is a bit of a myth that there are loads of FAC air going begging for really good money but from my experience there isnt because the supply isnt there. Also what is there tends to be based on high end models such as Daystates and Rapids so even though there is a saving on say a new one the cost would still buy you a fantastic sub 12 ft/lb gun.

Have a hack through Gunstar and the like but when I looked last time I could have picked up a decent non fac for less money than an FAC rated one as most FAC rated stuff floating about are your Rapids or Daystates which generally go for £500+.

I did in the end pick up a lovely Daystate Merlyn in FAC for about £300 however this was a real right place at right time deal as I had the slot available at the time and FX had let me down when I tried to order an FAC Royal (which incidently was going to be £900).

My advice is if you dont need the extra oomf (bear in mind FAC air doesnt give you as much extra range as you may think) have a look sub 12 ft/lb which does the job out to 35 yards and doesnt have all the hassle of FAC especially if you are on closed certificate.

Hope this helps

Neil

One thing I found when doing a one for one to change my FAC air recently is they can be a bit cheaper than their non FAC equivelents but not by as much as people think. I think there is a bit of a myth that there are loads of FAC air going begging for really good money but from my experience there isnt because the supply isnt there. Also what is there tends to be based on high end models such as Daystates and Rapids so even though there is a saving on say a new one the cost would still buy you a fantastic sub 12 ft/lb gun.

Have a hack through Gunstar and the like but when I looked last time I could have picked up a decent non fac for less money than an FAC rated one as most FAC rated stuff floating about are your Rapids or Daystates which generally go for £500+.

I did in the end pick up a lovely Daystate Merlyn in FAC for about £300 however this was a real right place at right time deal as I had the slot available at the time and FX had let me down when I tried to order an FAC Royal (which incidently was going to be £900).

My advice is if you dont need the extra oomf (bear in mind FAC air doesnt give you as much extra range as you may think) have a look sub 12 ft/lb which does the job out to 35 yards and doesnt have all the hassle of FAC especially if you are on closed certificate.

Hope this helps

Neil

zetter ,,sorry mate but ,,sub 12ftlb I will take bunnies out to a max of 40yrds and even that is when conditions are right,,with a huntsman classic which is running at 30ftlb then I will stretch that out to 60-70 yrds now that is a massive difference in distance and I would be very confident of hitting the spot,,

to the opp,,,if I was you I would keep my eye out for an fac s410 ,, Rapid or even a mk1 huntsman,,the latter I could of picked up for £275,, you will certainly pay a lot less for an FAC rifle than the same rifle in sub 12

zetter ,,sorry mate but ,,sub 12ftlb I will take bunnies out to a max of 40yrds and even that is when conditions are right,,with a huntsman classic which is running at 30ftlb then I will stretch that out to 60-70 yrds now that is a massive difference in distance and I would be very confident of hitting the spot,,

to the opp,,,if I was you I would keep my eye out for an fac s410 ,, Rapid or even a mk1 huntsman,,the latter I could of picked up for £275,, you will certainly pay a lot less for an FAC rifle than the same rifle in sub 12

It was only personal opinion Evo and Mole but im only really happy with my FAC air up to about 55 yards beyond that its a .22RF or .17HMR as I prefer the stopping power/ flatter trajectory on bunnies in case I slightly screw the shot up.

As for cost I was only quoting my experience of looking about recently and the cheapest I could see any rapid for was about £500 there is a real scarcity of FAC air about unless you are lucky to see one for sale which I did on BBS but they are not common and most of them tend to be higher end models such as Daystate MK4s where the cost still tends to be about £600.

If the OP is not desperate for range over 12 which it sounds like he isn't I recon he would get a better range of options and deal on sub 12 as there is more of them out there initially.

Just my 2 pence and mileage may vary.

Cheers Neil

I have a slot for FAC Air and moderator, and have been keeping an eye out for one, but, as yet nothing significantly cheaper,

than a sub 12. And in dealers around this area , they are actually dearer , because they are rare. :rolleyes:

This mirrors my experience Longbower case in point at the moment Airwolf MVT on BBS admittedly with an MTC scope but still up at nearly 900 sheets. I was tempted by a super 10 but they are still going for about £400 plus. If you want FAC air its definitely a patience game to get a deal at the moment.

It was only personal opinion Evo and Mole but im only really happy with my FAC air up to about 55 yards beyond that its a .22RF or .17HMR as I prefer the stopping power/ flatter trajectory on bunnies in case I slightly screw the shot up.

As for cost I was only quoting my experience of looking about recently and the cheapest I could see any rapid for was about £500 there is a real scarcity of FAC air about unless you are lucky to see one for sale which I did on BBS but they are not common and most of them tend to be higher end models such as Daystate MK4s where the cost still tends to be about £600.

If the OP is not desperate for range over 12 which it sounds like he isn't I recon he would get a better range of options and deal on sub 12 as there is more of them out there initially.

Just my 2 pence and mileage may vary.

Cheers Neil

wont argue with that neil,,but on a couple of my perms I would not dream of using .22 or 17hmr due to the surrounding land, you are right when you say fac air can be dearer but as said it only seems to be the higher end guns or the tried and tested good makes, anyways bud I did see ya point I was merely stating I,ll use fac air out to 70yrds very max but the conditions do have to be near on perfect,

dave G ,,,the reason I went 177 was for that sole reason,,less error when using the night vision rig so my wolverine b is now only used for night shooting, I keep the .22,s for daytime

Edited by evo

wont argue with that neil,,but on a couple of my perms I would not dream of using .22 or 17hmr due to the surrounding land, you are right when you say fac air can be dearer but as said it only seems to be the higher end guns or the tried and tested good makes, anyways bud I did see ya point I was merely stating I,ll use fac air out to 70yrds very max but the conditions do have to be near on perfect,

dave G ,,,the reason I went 177 was for that sole reason,,less error when using the night vision rig so my wolverine b is now only used for night shooting, I keep the .22,s for daytime

Same with me on certain areas of my perm Evo due to conditions I cant use the LR and don't get me wrong I love my Merlyn its probably the most accurate air rifle I have ever owned. I cant ever see myself being without FAC air as it really fills the gap and in certain conditions allows tree shots which I cant do with the LR or HMR for that matter!

Hi Gents,

Thanks for all of the info. A bit more about me, my certificate is open so no complications there. I have 22LR and 17 hornet, so plenty of bigger guns. I do like as much performance as possible (thus the FAC was interesting) though this isn't a 'serious' workhorse of a gun as my hornet is that most of the time. I thought this would be a nice walkaround near the pens when the birds are in as it is silent (for rats, rabbits, crows/pigeons, etc) but could also just be a nice taking the dogs for a walk gun as I see rabbits, squirrels and pigeons a good bit. I have considered a 410 hushpower for similar uses. On the other end of the spectrum, the gun could be a back yard plinker for me so if I went FAC it would be great if it was power adjustable.

I think I'll put my variation in and have the slot opened and just start keeping my eyes open. Then I can pick up whichever one comes up first.

Felly- when you decide you set a price and list it on gunwatch, drop me a PM. You're only right down the road so would be easy to meet up.

thanks,

rick

IF you are after ajustable power Rick on FAC keep your eyes peeled for either the Airarms S410/510 FAC or even better an FX FAC as both there have power ajusters to allow you to drop the power levels when required.

I havent had experience with the Air Arms but on the FX its a wheel with 3 settings that I think go 12ft/lb, 18ft lb and 30 ft/lb approx.

This chap uses a n Air Arms s510 in .177 flavour...pushing out around 20 ftlbs. Have a look at his videos, might give you some pointers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijFmAPNxsec

Oh, and agree with Evo. Sub 12, up to 40 yds in good conditions, head shots only. My 35ftlb FAC, head or body shots up to 75 yards with relative ease. So this talk of not much more with FAC air, is misleading. Its comfortably twice the distance and further.

Edited by turbo33

I,ll explain myself here for all to see, sonic,,,not via pm

Tried a PCP Webley the other day on a CHRONO ::

Using a Bisley long Range gold:

it tipped my machine at 61grms:

it gave a wacking 84ft lbs: oh lor.

the reason I put the question marks is because I was unsure what you had written,

I understand the first line and also understood the second line in what you had written,,,,,

what did you mean by the third line ie 61 grms is this 61 grammes ???

and the 4th line 84ftlbs was this 84 ftlbs or 8.4 ftlb and what did you mean by oh lor sorry but I was confused to what you had written down,

I did not understand the 61grms and the 84 ftlbs

sorry for any confusion but can you enlighten myself and the PW masses as to what the grms means and also did you mean 84ftls or 8.4 ftlbs

I have not seen the use of grms use where air rifles are concerned does your machine weigh the pellet ??? I just do not understand at all what you meant

cheers Evo

the reason I put the question marks is because I was unsure what you had written,

I understand the first line and also understood the second line in what you had written,,,,,

and the 4th line 84ftlbs was this 84 ftlbs or 8.4 ftlb and what did you mean by oh lor sorry but I was confused to what you had written down,

sorry for any confusion but can you enlighten myself and the PW masses as to what the grms means and also did you mean 84ftls or 8.4 ftlbs

I have not seen the use of grms use where air rifles are concerned does your machine weigh the pellet ??? I just do not understand at all what you meant

cheers Evo

cheers Evo

Ok Mate Fair Cop:

Yes I Do wheigh the pellets and they came to 61 (Grains) <<>>Sorry: (So I have a machine):: Digital::

The other Was 84 Ft ibs <<<>>>> Hows that, Does it make sense now. ?.

Was Writing in a hurry to get to bed.lol.

Ok Mate Fair Cop:

Yes I Do wheigh the pellets and they came to 61 (Grains) <<>>Sorry: (So I have a machine):: Digital::

The other Was 84 Ft ibs <<<>>>> Hows that, Does it make sense now. ?.

Was Writing in a hurry to get to bed.lol.

yes mate ,,understand now,,thats certainly some bumph from a FAC air rifle,, nearly like the daystate 303, how do you find the pellet stability at such high power