Moles in garden

NorfolkAYA

Can you find anyone that uses Phostoxin to do a small favour for you.

as he has quoted they are in his garden, then probably not the best idea unless it's a cowboy

Safety With Phostoxin

• Phostoxin tablets should NOT be used to treat runs or burrows which are within 3 metres of an occupied building.
Edited by stubby

as he has quoted they are in his garden, then probably not the best idea unless it's a cowboy

Fair enough but it depends how big his garden is, who uses it etc. Without seeing the job in hand it's impossible to decide. Mole traps are the better option but set by someone who doesn't know what they are doing (no offence to the OP) it could be pointless. I know it doesn't sound hard to set a trap but doing it right makes a hell of a difference.

Fair enough but it depends how big his garden is, who uses it etc. Without seeing the job in hand it's impossible to decide

granted, and for that reason, advice on using poisons etc should not be handed out over the internet, as without seeing the job or at least a picture, it's not good advice to be giving

granted, and for that reason, advice on using poisons etc should not be handed out over the internet, as without seeing the job or at least a picture, it's not good advice to be giving

Again, fair enough but I wasn't advising him to use poisons himself but getting someone that does to do him a favour. I was just presuming that the person would be competent in the use of said product which could be asking too much.

Suppliers are getting more than a bit reluctant to supply aluminium phosphide unless you are qualified, and the delivery/transport/storage/use of Phostoxin and Talunex is so prohibitive it is becoming a pain in the **** to use anyway.

We all know there are some suppliers who don't give a hoot, but stay well away from this stuff unless you know what you are doing, you may well kill yourself before the mole!

Probably a few mole hills and one mole. Couple of Duffus Traps should sort it if you can find out how to use them - easy enough.

Get in a professional or try as above.

Mole trapping isn't as easy as it may look but the tunnel traps are worth a try, and a good way to learn/fail!

Good luck! :good:

Tunnel traps are easier, scissor traps aren't hard to learn and both catch well and cost only a few quid. If you intend to use traps there are many tutorials on the net that will get you started. Don't believe old wives tales of leaving them I'm for for months etc before use, i'be caught loads and have always touched traps with bare hands.

Firming the tunnel floor downnwith a pole and setting the trap slightly deeper than you might think is probably the best tip I can give (stops moley pole going under).

Edited by GingerCat

Hi all.

I have a few moles coming up in the garden...anyone got any tips of how to get rid of them instead of getting the 12bore out ;)

Regards

Pete

Where are you Pete? If you're within a reasonable distance from me I'd gladly sort it out for you and show you how to set a trap properly incase you get another mole later. It's not difficult to trap moles once you've been shown.

Pete,

Get yourself a sissor trap and read this link.

http://walcotefarm.fernhillsolutions.net/molecatching/mole_catching.htm

The bit about using the upside down T handle is the bit that you need to known as it is critical to compact the soil in the base of the run approaching the trap.

I had an issue for a couple of years but was incorrectly setting the trap.

I followed this guys instructions and bingo got the critter.

Give it a try,

Rich