Second Day picking up for Blue

NickB65

Well last Saturday was Blues second day picking up at the local estate and what a day it was. Clear blue skies with just the odd fluffy cloud and a gentle breeze which still managed to chill you to the core if caught in the shade. This time I was teamed up with Helen, Wendy and Kier and with Helen and Wendy having some 30 years picking-up experience between them I felt nervous.

The first drive was a big one. The beaters flanked two fields into one large wood and then drove this into another copse with good ground crops in front of it. The beaters then went around and would push this back across the guns. Between the two copse was a field of rape and as the beaters came to the end of pushing the first copse the guns and dog handlers were stood watching the game fly from one copse to another. Plenty of partridge and pheasant went across promising the reverse drive across the guns to be a very good one.

Once the first copse was driven and the beaters were off to the second copse the guns lined out in the field between the two copse. Six guns in the field, two in the copse behind them and another just beyond the copse in another field of rape. I was to be in the far field to the left of the far back gun. I stood behind a long thin spinney and from where I stood I could see one gun in front of my in the field and another to his right and the back gun in the field with me. Although we stood in the sun Blue shivered with enthusiasm and whimpered as the first few Partridge went over. The first partridge come at the front guns low, too low for them to shoot but as they went past the guns some had to rise to get over the spinney and here the back gun had some sport. After the initial flurry the birds came in ones or two's and now they were higher offering the front guns good sport. As soon as the birds were over the guns their wings would stop beating and they would glide over the spinney and into the field. Marking those pricked was hard as so many were not hit hard. A hen pheasant came over and I thought she would make it over but the gun in front of me managed to reload in time and catch her hitting her in the wing. She was hit hard but only in the wing and as she glided to the ground I saw her stand and start to run off. I looked down and Blue was watching her with me. I only managed to say the first word "Get..." and Blue was off racing across the rape. He caught her easily and although she jinked left and then right he picked her and brought her back flawlessly. Several Partridge came over hit hard but landed and did not move. We will leave those til the end of the drive. Another hen pheasant come over across the guns drawing several shots from the front guns but seemed to get away without being hit and she then went across the back gun. A single puff of smoke form the left barrel and down she came. The whistle blew to mark the end of the drive and off we went. Go for the runners first and then the dead ones. We walked down to the end of the spinney and worked our way up picking four partridge and a hen. "Did you get that partridge I shot" comes the cry from one of the guns..... "English partridge that went over at the start....."I held up the bird for him to see and he was happy.....

The day carried on in the same vein. Some drives we were in the middle and getting some great opportunities to pick runners while on others we had little sport. At the end of one drive we walked along the road back to the cars parallel to the field we had just shot. Myself and another handler chatted away when a partridge ran into the field. We watched for a while wondering if it was just too tired to fly or was actually hit. I decided to send Blue off and by the time I got him through the hedge the bird was halfway across the field some 150m away. I sent Blue out and the Partridge stopped and although I could see him blue had not noticed. He stopped some 70m out and looked back unsure. Back I commanded and back he went going left and right trying to scent the bird. He stopped again only a few meter short.... back I signalled and back he went and the partridge ran. Blue spotted him and the rest was text book. The other dog handler watched as Blue worked and when Blue handed the bird over he praised Blue for such a good retrieve.

Given it was his second day picking up Blue was spot on. Yes we made mistakes and we learnt from them. Picking up a rather large hen Blue didn't get a good hold so after a few scratches in the face Blue dropped her and then picked her up again after a little chase but this time with a better hold.

In total we picked up some 40 birds that day and the bag shot was 252 which given the birds we drove over the guns was a little low. The next shoot will be the Keepers shoot where I will be shooting as well so will be interesting to see how Blue copes with being a peg dog.

• 2 weeks later...