40g vmax reloads

That is what i shoot in the 223. I shoot h4198 which isn't an ideal powder, but i am still getting 3650 and it shoots 3/4" which isn't bad for a break barrel gun. There isn't a whole lot of difference between a 40 and 50 until you start pushing out past 200 yards when the 50 holds more energy.

Rick

Ooh ooh what is this break barrel then? Sorry op :-)

U.

Edited by Underdog

Close. it is an encore which is the big brother to the contender. The Contender can handle up to 223 casehead rounds. The Encore can go up to the big stuff, though I don't think they are rated for the WSM casehead.

I have 223 and 17 hornet barrels for it, both from MGM.

rick

Edited by casts_by_fly

I shot my 222 with 40gr Vmax at saami spec OAL with H4198 in PPU brass with Federal benchrest primers. 22.3 grains was very reliable at 3300 fps ish from a 20" barrel. It still shot 5 round half moa groups with a horrendously pitted barrel.

It still does :)

i have been using h322 for my 50g vmax so shall look for some recipe's with that 1st save's messing with different powders to start with,

if possible i would like as few different recipe's as possible one for 50g vmax one for 50g soft nose and a 40g pill hence asking about the above,

colin

H322 is a fantastic powder :-)

U.

+1

22.2grain of 322 with remington 7.5 primers and 50g vmax works very well would be nice if i could get away with only one powder and one type of primer

colin

I have had good results also an found it relitivly easy to get hold of

Close. it is an encore which is the big brother to the contender. The Contender can handle up to 223 casehead rounds. The Encore can go up to the big stuff, though I don't think they are rated for the WSM casehead.

I have 223 and 17 hornet barrels for it, both from MGM.

rick

there's a blast from the past ,use to shoot a Contender chambered for 444 marlin with a 16" barrel and scope in the 90's.

was a bit of a handfull and use to shoot it with rubber grip and a ballistic gel glove .

on max load no one in the club asked for a second shot cos i use to hide the glove in me coat. :lol: .

there's a blast from the past ,use to shoot a Contender chambered for 444 marlin with a 16" barrel and scope in the 90's.

was a bit of a handfull and use to shoot it with rubber grip and a ballistic gel glove .

on max load no one in the club asked for a second shot cos i use to hide the glove in me coat. :lol: .

Lol I bet that was fun, I was looking at an encore in 22 hornet a bit of a baby in comparison but a nice gun all the same :)

Lol I bet that was fun, I was looking at an encore in 22 hornet a bit of a baby in comparison but a nice gun all the same :)

yep was a lot of fun , it was a canceled order so got it cheap at the time.

we had a few of em in the club in various calibres for knocking down steel targets chicken, ram etc.

don't seem to hear much about em in the uk these days ,do they still import em?

yep was a lot of fun , it was a canceled order so got it cheap at the time.

we had a few of em in the club in various calibres for knocking down steel targets chicken, ram etc.

don't seem to hear much about em in the uk these days ,do they still import em?

Not sure have seen a few for sale always a good price wish I had the money for one in 22 h with open sights :)

so would it be worth buying a box of 30-35g bullets to try or stick with the 40s for now ??

colin

like the idea of a faster flatter round for longer range rabbit and crow on the calmer days

I would stick with the 40s tbh I did play with some 30 gr berger match varmint.

And they were very good fast and flat but it's swings and roundabouts.

And they are out of production now.