Bit freaked out...

spandit

Driving home last night my car started misbehaving. After calling the AA out, it was diagnosed as a fuel metering valve problem so it kept cutting out. By flicking the key off/on, the system reset and I could keep going (with the AA following me home). Anyway, going up small hills was a problem and every time the car cut out, the headlights went out (changed to side lights).

I remarked to the AA man on one of our many stops that there was a lot of wildlife about - saw loads of deer, foxes etc. He said he swore he had heard wolves howling earlier but I presumed he was joking.

Coming through a village quite near me, which is on a gentle but long hill, the car was being a right PITA. Just as the headlights went out again, a large animal crossed the road in front of me. I'm hoping it was a dog because it looked pretty wolflike to me. Definitely not a fox (and we're talking about midnight, no people about). By the time I got the lights back on again, it was disappearing out of sight. The AA driver didn't see it

Any other reports of wolves in East Sussex?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know whereabouts in our beautiful county of East Sussex you were, but if it was in the lanes near Bexhill then there is a pack of "wolves" kept there by a dog trainer for film work etc. I don't think they are actual wolves, but bred to look and behave like wolves in a controllable manner. I would imagine they probably howl as well!! I wouldn't think you would see one out and about unless it was being walked though.

There has been a few sheep killed on ashdown forest and i know someone how said they had seen a big wolf like dog one night but i think they may have had a bit too much in the pub as no one else saw it. :drinks: I did see something in the summer on the why back from shooting at about 1 ish in the morning, it was just out of the head lights, thought it was a deer just moving oddly. But maybe not!!!! :o :shoot:

I know how op feels as several years ago I was driving a mate home to Ely and whilst between Newmarket and Cambridge on A14 in early hours and saw what I thought was a big black cat (not domestic moggy but something resembling a panther) slink off down the verge. My mate in passenger seat was dozing off so didn't see it. I got home and told the wife who replied "yeah 'corse you did?".

Luckily for me though, I was working in Cambridge at the time and when the Cambridge Evening News was delivered to the office there was a front page article about two traffic cops who had also seen a big black cat the previous evening near the A14 quy interchange.

One morning in November 2013 5 of the 6 Timber Wolves escaped from their enclosure at Colchester Zoo in Essex. Of the 5, one returned to its enclosure of its own will, one was tranquilised and two more shot dead in the zoo grounds. The final wolf escaped the perimeter fence and was shot dead later in the afternoon.

A similar escape was foiled by keepers at Dublin Zoo in 2011 when they went to feed the 9 European Wolves they noticed an eerie silence instead of a howling pack. They entered the enclosure to find that the pack had dug a tunnel all the way to the perimeter fence and it was only a concrete block that held up one of the perimeter posts that blocked their escape. All nine wolves were in the tunnel when they entered the enclosure.

These are two reported incidents. However, who knows how many privately owned animals escape and never get reported or recovered?

Edited by Suffolkngood

Could this really be a shaggy dog story?

A few months ago I was driving to my local shoot. My mate and I saw a large black cat like creature just stroll across the road about 75 - 100 yrds ahead of us. It was broad daylight and the animal was in no hurry, we both saw it clearly.

Neither of us had idea what it was, but it was BIG, certainly not a domestic cat.

Who knows what's out and about in our countryside. People keep and release all manner of pets and animals when they get bored sick or the become to much for them.

How long ago would people not believe green parakeets flying around and breeding quite happily.

Could've been a loose hybrid, they're incredibly common as "pets" now. Terrible idea, should never be allowed in my opinion but seen many a weirdo walking around country fairs with them.

Take one pure timber wolf and cross it with a GSD and you end up with an immensely dangerous "dog" which has the size and strength of a timber wolf but crucially lacks the fear of humans that would see a wild wolf running for the hills.

Great plan!

Anyway... My vote would be GSD followed by Wolf Hybrid and then Wolf.

I was asked by a farmer to take a look round his farm as he'd lost a few sheep recently, first field I looked with the lamp I got a glimps of a large grey animal, just for a split second and it was gone... It was feeding on a freshly killed sheep...

I've convinced myself it was a wild dog maybe...I lamp that farm about once every month at least and haven't seen it since and the farmer still looses the odd fully grown sheep..to be honest I've no idea what it was but it was quite large and grey colour...I'm still going with the wild dog theory tho...