Bit freaked out...

spandit

There's some rare old dogs out there for sure. the other day I was walking shmbo'd rather fetching cockerpoo (who has one hell of a nose and great retrieve I might add) in the local woods when a great big wolf like dog came out of the brambles. It was being walked by a female in her late 70's who professed to be a dog trainer and in complete control (course she was).

The dog was an Alaskan malimu (my spelling) crossed with a half wolf cross. Ultimately only God knows what it was. It was remarkably wolf like and had the dual layer fur but overall red and white in colour.

It got on great with Archie who eventually came back after squealing off into the bushes on sight of it.

I do know it was just over my waist height (I'm 6'01) and probably weighed about 14 stone. How that's not a section one status dog ill never know but I'm sure it's not the only one out there.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my brother in law got himself two lovely Working Cockers we went up to visit them - dogs were then around 9 months old. We arrived up in deepest Suffolk after dark and when our Westie got out of the car, the two cockers headed off like a shot into the woods shrieking and howling with terror. They though they has seen a ghost - never having seen a white Westie before.

IIRC, it took them sometime to calm down but we were all crying with laughter. True story ;)

I was asked by a farmer to take a look round his farm as he'd lost a few sheep recently, first field I looked with the lamp I got a glimps of a large grey animal, just for a split second and it was gone... It was feeding on a freshly killed sheep...

I've convinced myself it was a wild dog maybe...I lamp that farm about once every month at least and haven't seen it since and the farmer still looses the odd fully grown sheep..to be honest I've no idea what it was but it was quite large and grey colour...I'm still going with the wild dog theory tho...

That sent a shiver up my spine! Don't you ever feel a little uneasy when you're back in the same area?

I was asked by a farmer to take a look round his farm as he'd lost a few sheep recently, first field I looked with the lamp I got a glimps of a large grey animal, just for a split second and it was gone... It was feeding on a freshly killed sheep...

I've convinced myself it was a wild dog maybe...I lamp that farm about once every month at least and haven't seen it since and the farmer still looses the odd fully grown sheep..to be honest I've no idea what it was but it was quite large and grey colour...I'm still going with the wild dog theory tho...

I used to be a werewolf but I'm all reet, nooooooooooooooooooooooooow owwwwwwww owwwwwwwww

Atb

Flynny

Silver bullets required!!

Once saw a black large cat kill and carry off what appeared to be a fully grown rabbit up a slope into a tree line (a person would struggle to scramble up the slope it's that steep)

It picked the rabbit up and carried the rabbit up the slope like it weighed nothing.

I was 60-80 yard away from where it was and I recon it was at least 3 times the size of a domestic cat and had a heavy build to it.

Only saw the once and was in the area every day for 5 years and never saw it again.

Maybe just a overgrown moggie with attitude.

My brother has Alaskan Malamuts and one of his dogs, Bex, when he was not quite fully grown looked so much like a wolf it was scary! He was full size but hadn't quite filled out in the body and was still thin. The other thing he used to do was catch rabbits then throw his head back and chomp them down in one go! just like a wolf would i imagine.

• 1 year later...

If that had happened in Hertfordshire around Ashridge the locals would have said it was one of the big cats. The belief in them is absolute among the farmers and gamekeepers, its just accepted as fact.

Aorry to bring up an old thread but i was reading through this and it reminded me. My dad used to work at rothamstead research in harpenden and there were many stories of people walking through there and seeing big cats and a few times the police were called as people lived on the site. One lady i remember my dad telling me heard a banging late at night so went to the back door switched the outside light on and watched the back half of one just going over her fence. In fact on the road i grew up on if i crossed the road was straight into a golf course and fields that went on for miles from st albans to luton and beyond. My brother was returning home one night and at the garages saw something massive and black, he watched it for a while but couldnt work out what it was. He got out quickly to open the garage expecting it to be a big dog and to come over but it sat down and watched him then jumped up and was gone over a 6ft fence. He was so sure of what it was he went in and woke my dad up to tell him. I fully believe they are out there and with all the countryside that we have im sure it would know that you were coming long before anyone got near one there are stories of them being shot and buried by farmers so as not to attract attention to their farm. Bit long winded but this has fascinated me since i was a kid as it was never an if but it was juat spoken about as fact

I used to be based at MoD N Luffenham in Rutland, I used to hunt and shoot clays on the 6000 acre airfield (abandoned). A couple of years ago, one of the blokes was walking in the woods with his wife next to the airfield and stated that a large black cat jumped out in front of him and ran off. Occasionally when i was hunting near those woods around dusk on a summer night, everything went very quiet, i got the feeling that i was being watched and the hairs were up on the back of my neck. At that point the safety catch was clicked off and i walked away rather fast. Never saw anything, but couldn't explain the feeling or the lack of other animals. There was a stables next door and every now and then a horse would be found with slash marks on its rear, i know large cats go for a neck bite, but they go drag running prey down by any means.

Edited by Harry136

There's a place near Newtown where a bloke keeps a pack of wolves. We were lamping nearby and we went off on a bit of a trek to a 'real good spot', unbeknownst to me it was where the wolves are kept, we pulled over and my mate got out and howled and I nearly wet myself laughing at his terrible calling only to then **** myself when instead of a fox coming to look what was going on a pack of wolves howled back! Its a good spot to take lady friends it tends to make them weak at the knees!

• 6 months later...

I used to be based at MoD N Luffenham in Rutland, I used to hunt and shoot clays on the 6000 acre airfield (abandoned). A couple of years ago, one of the blokes was walking in the woods with his wife next to the airfield and stated that a large black cat jumped out in front of him and ran off. Occasionally when i was hunting near those woods around dusk on a summer night, everything went very quiet, i got the feeling that i was being watched and the hairs were up on the back of my neck. At that point the safety catch was clicked off and i walked away rather fast. Never saw anything, but couldn't explain the feeling or the lack of other animals. There was a stables next door and every now and then a horse would be found with slash marks on its rear, i know large cats go for a neck bite, but they go drag running prey down by any means.

Haha i used to shoot with the RAF rough shoot on the airfield, small world

Was the howling not the X Factor auditions? On a more serious note,we have a 6ft boa constrictor on the loose in my village.It escaped from a house not 200mtrs away from my back garden.Police are saying its not dangerouse but i think my chickens would beg to differ.Its going to get battered on the napper with the spade if i see it.

Was the howling not the X Factor auditions? On a more serious note,we have a 6ft boa constrictor on the loose in my village.It escaped from a house not 200mtrs away from my back garden.Police are saying its not dangerouse but i think my chickens would beg to differ.Its going to get battered on the napper with the spade if i see it.

I imagine there's a few Handbag dog owners a little nervous too!

slightly different but one of our fields at work has the Anglian wolf society there and they have 3 timber wolves when out lamping in the evenings they can sometimes start howling and even though you know they are secure behind their fences it can still send a chill down your back

http://www.anglianwolf.com/

colin

Colin, i bought both my labs from the farmer next door to the anglian wolf society. It was incredibly eerie standing in the car park, looking down at the compound watching them all line up and start howling, absolutely unreal!

AB