Is 8.73 pounds to heavy?

nicknsd1978

I weighed my gun the other day after been concerned about its weight. With the luggage scales it weighs 8.73 pounds....I'm about 5'10 medium build. I can't help thinking that it's too heavy....I'm still new to all this but when im on the stand I don't seem to be able to manoeuvre it as well as some of their other people you see. It's mainly just skeet that I'm doing at the mo

If you're concerned it's too heavy then it may be worth doing something... but weight can also be your friend if handled correctly. Consider a session with a good coach because the advice on how to handle your gun may be far more effective and less costly than chopping and changing the hardware.

Ive shot with a well balanced 9lb gun and 7.5 lb ones that made pigs on barn shovels preferable

Seek the services of the professionals ...

The general rule is lighter for clays especially skeet and heavier for game guns, 30 inch barrels in my opinion is too long especially for skeet, I used to shoot 26" inch on skeet when I started but now use 28", if your out on a big shoot with lots of high pheasant 30 inch with tight chokes is much better, its always best to get expert opinion before buying your gun as its the single most expensive outlay and the last thing you want to get wrong when starting out. :yes::yes:

The general rule is lighter for clays especially skeet and heavier for game guns, 30 inch barrels in my opinion is too long especially for skeet, I used to shoot 26" inch on skeet when I started but now use 28", if your out on a big shoot with lots of high pheasant 30 inch with tight chokes is much better, its always best to get expert opinion before buying your gun as its the single most expensive outlay and the last thing you want to get wrong when starting out. :yes::yes:

I'm afraid you have this the wrong way round,

Lighter gun for game as in theory you are carrying it around all day, (sxs are lighter in general than O &U) and as a rule you fire fewer shots

you would want a heavier gun for clays as it aids the swing and with clays you normally shoot a lot more cartridges over a shorter period, the weight helps with the constant recoil,

:shaun:

I weighed my gun the other day after been concerned about its weight. With the luggage scales it weighs 8.73 pounds....I'm about 5'10 medium build. I can't help thinking that it's too heavy....I'm still new to all this but when im on the stand I don't seem to be able to manoeuvre it as well as some of their other people you see. It's mainly just skeet that I'm doing at the mo

No decent clay gun is less than 8 lbs, most are between that and up to 9.5 lbs approx, so yours is just about perfect. It does sound as though you're not comfortable with the weight which could either be down to your inexperience of not knowing how to hold it or the balance needing a bit of a tweak.

Most good shooters would use 30" guns for Skeet and a great many would even opt for 32", getting a lighter gun could end up with more recoil which is an even worse problem.

OP,

most clay guns are 'heavy' at the start,until you have some degree of muscle memory/get used to regularly shooting.After a while you will not think about the weight of the gun.What made you chose that gun?(there is nothing wrong with it by the way)?If you are mainly going to shoot and stick with skeet then a bit of weight helps soak the recoil of quite regular shots..a light gun whilst perhaps more 'pointable' is not the answer,harder to swing and recoils more.Stick with your gun for a year and forget about its weight,if at that point you still think it is too heavy reconsider.I too have a browning and yes it is heavier than most guns,but for balance/swing etc I don't ever think about what it weighs..

Ed,

Your gun is clearly too heavy for you and probably explains why you let one of the RBSS high tower birds get away have you considered the Hatsan semi lighweight,with no bits added??...just a thought.

This is the issue, not the weight of the gun

Skeet is a discipline and is usually shot in a particular way/method. Stance, hold points, target pickup points, gun mount and kill zones (in that order really) are quite crucial to hitting consistent scores. IF and i say IF your gun is very muzzle heavy you will find it harder to shoot skeet well than a nicely balanced gun.

Its a very good way to start shooting as it teaches you ALL the basics (well nearly) - going away - incomers - crossers - overhead and quartering

Practice practice and more practice.