pigeon cradles.

Cranfield

I have some dead bird cradles that are years old and blackish and hard to find if I drop them in cover when setting out my decoys.

Even the ones with a turn of red insulation tape go missing.

It has occurred to me to paint them matt white, or at least a matt colour lighter than black.

Pigeons aren't supposed to recognise colour and as long as they are not shiny (unlike the brass cradles advertised on the Bay), they should be OK.

Has anyone tried this ?

I will think outside of the box if it helps , in the centre of the cradle where the bird sits you could affix a dayglo piece of plastic it would be invisible when the bird is mounted and visible when the cradle is empty , if this helps

Good idea!

I have ssome painted white in the centre of the cradle, it can't be seen by incoming pigeons when a dead bird is on the cradle, yet the paint is very visible when packing up etc.

I've ditched cradles these days, in favour of fibre glass rods. Much easier to carry/store and just as effective.

How do you use the rods? Is just a case of propping the head or up the back passage and in to the head? If so how do you stop them turning over?

How do you use the rods? Is just a case of propping the head or up the back passage and in to the head? If so how do you stop them turning over?

Up the ***** and into the head, yes. I find that they don't turn over. Also, it doesn't seem to matter how high from the ground they are, even if they may appear to the pigeons to be 'floating'.

Up the ***** and into the head, yes. I find that they don't turn over. Also, it doesn't seem to matter how high from the ground they are, even if they may appear to the pigeons to be 'floating'.

I've used plant canes in the past but they seem to split after a couple of uses. Where did you get your fiberglass ones from? Do they splinter much and get into your fingers?

Cheers Motty, What size and length is best?

I'm not sure what's best, but I use rods that are around 2 - 2.5 feet long.

I've used plant canes in the past but they seem to split after a couple of uses. Where did you get your fiberglass ones from? Do they splinter much and get into your fingers?

I got mine from farmers. They haven't splintered and I don't expect them to.

I've ditched cradles these days, in favour of fibre glass rods. Much easier to carry/store and just as effective.

Sounds interesting.

I like cradles, I ise the ones from Paul Hart which are quite tall, but they are a pain to store and transport.

Using rods, don't the wings droop down?

I'm not one for pruning the feathers on decoys to male them look perfect but wondering what happens with the wings.

Cos

Edited by Cosd

Sounds interesting.

I like cradles, I ise the ones from Paul Hart which are quite tall, but they are a pain to store and transport.

Using rods, don't the wings droop down?

I'm not one for pruning the feathers on decoys to male them look perfect but wondering what happens with the wings.

Cos

Yes, Cos, the wings do droop down. The pigeons don't seem to mind, thankfully.

Yes, Cos, the wings do droop down. The pigeons don't seem to mind, thankfully.

Thanks for that. I might look at getting some. I was going to buy some more cradles at the shooting show but this sounds better.

I did read this once some years back but forgot all about this technique.

Thanks again

Cos

Hi, good question. I don't know, is the answer. Given the prompt I think I will put a couple more out and see how it goes. As a matter of interest How many do you put out?

I maybe use up to three in the pattern. This is only down to not having more spreaders to use. I would happily use a few more.