A generous keeper

SNS

I shot (with my wife actually, which was very enjoyable, save for her insistence on my driving home so she could drink more champagne) on one of my roving syndicate days yesterday. Ostensibly a 100 bird day, but the keep kindly said not to worry about the bag as they had plenty of birds.

The first drive I was asked to walk with the beaters initially and then push on ahead of them to make haste to my allotted peg (peg 1, drawn by wife for me). Even though I say it myself, I think I did a fabulous job of blanking in the drive and pushed a ton of birds back into the drive as they attempted to sneak out sideways. I dashed to my peg and then mayhem broke lose. We were pegged out in a lovely wood and birds reached the flushing point and then flew in all directions. As they reached the top of the trees the stiff breeze then allowed some to curl beautifully in my direction. Naturally I missed the first few but then had consecutive left and rights. Which nearly caused me to put my gun away and declare. Put I felt obliged to help the keeper so carried on blazing away. We finished the drive with some 40 birds, though the shot ratio being spoilt somewhat by one chap firing 31 shots for one bird. Though I'm not sure I believe that. Sadly my wife didn't get to see many birds but was pleased with a quality pheasant.

The next drive proved challenging because of the wind which meant few birds came my way. I shot 3 of the 5 that did but they were not especially exciting. Unlike the absolute beauty that came over me as I was reloading. However, all was redeemed by the news that my wife had shot her first ever partridge, nice and early, out in front just as I had endeavoured to coach her.

The last drive of the morning was a beauty. I had a rather tall tree in front of me and every bird was good enough to fly over it. I had a succession of fast high partridge and shot some of them. Only to be out done to my right by my wife shooting an absolute beauty, a partridge of such quality that the beaters sought her out after the drive to complement her on the shot. Despite my attempted bribes to persuade them otherwise.

We retired for lunch and much celebratory champagne. At least for Mrs SNS as I was by now the designated driver.

The first drive after lunch involved some strong winds. Buoyed by actually seeming to be able to shoot properly for a change, I took on a right to left crossing pheasant at by the far the greatest range I have ever shot. I had the right cartridges, the right choke and was shooting well so I thought why not. It folded, dead in the air, and I actually yelled 'yessssssssssss' rather loudly. Much to the amusement of the guns on the next 2 pegs and the picker up behind me. I followed up this fine shot by missing the next 4 birds as some sort of reality check. Mrs SNS added to her tally too.

The final drive found us both pegged rather oddly as sort of back guns, because of how the wind was blowing. I walked to my 'peg' and witnessed one of the new guns shoot without a doubt the finest teal I have ever seen shot. It was towering. Though he ruined it slightly by insisting all the way back to the gun bus that it was a mallard. It had to be presented to him before he could be convinced.

I finished on a high by poaching one of my wife's birds with pretty much my last shot of the day. A picture of the bag is (hopefully attached) and the very generous keeper allowed us to shoot 121 head on our 100 bird day.

post-57415-0-71737800-1422471278_thumb.jpg