Disappearing Fox?

Good shot?

I shot and buried a fox on one of my permissions the other week.

On returning 3 days later I found the fox had been dug up and on the surface about 10 feet away. I buried it over a foot deep and it was about 30 yards from a Badger sett.(Loads on and about this farm.)

I thought "I will come back tomorrow and find a deeper site further away".

On my return the next day, no trace of the fox was to be found and the farmer had not shifted it.

I can only assume that Brock had dug it up and ultimately dragged it away for consumption (?).The farmers son said that Badgers have in the past took calves, still born at night, from his fields.

Wish I had set my trail cam up now.

Anyone any other idea or had a similar experience.

Brock is not the nice cuddly creature so well beloved of Tree Huggers and readers of Wind in the Willows. They are nasty vicious carnivores. Favourite food Mrs Tiggywinkle - hence the drop in numbers of hedgepigs as badger numbers rise following the badger Act. Our local badgers eat local hedgehogs - if you see a hedgehog skin all empty it is badger, if Charlie has had a go it is not so neat with bits left like head etc. So yes you buried fox carcass will have been dug up and taken away for supper.

The only experience I had which is similar (not with a buried fox) was last July. I shot 4 fairly big fox cubs the one night and left them in the bottom of the field (I always let the farmer know as he likes to see them dead and then he disposes of them). I told him where the cubs were (2 in 1 gateway and 2 in another about 100 yards apart). I got a call to say that he could only find 3. After a couple of minutes of searching he found the missing cub about 40-50 yards away.

I shot and buried a fox on one of my permissions the other week.

On returning 3 days later I found the fox had been dug up and on the surface about 10 feet away. I buried it over a foot deep and it was about 30 yards from a Badger sett.(Loads on and about this farm.)

I thought "I will come back tomorrow and find a deeper site further away".

On my return the next day, no trace of the fox was to be found and the farmer had not shifted it.

I can only assume that Brock had dug it up and ultimately dragged it away for consumption (?).The farmers son said that Badgers have in the past took calves, still born at night, from his fields.

Wish I had set my trail cam up now.

Anyone any other idea or had a similar experience.

Out of interest was it a dog or vixen ? I ask because a few years ago I shot a vixen in early January , buried it & by the morning it was dug up & in a ditch 10ft away .I buried it again , that night I watched a dog fox digging it up ..needless to say he ended up in the same hole .

Out of interest was it a dog or vixen ? I ask because a few years ago I shot a vixen in early January , buried it & by the morning it was dug up & in a ditch 10ft away .I buried it again , that night I watched a dog fox digging it up ..needless to say he ended up in the same hole .

It was a Vixen, but could not be found within fifty yards of where I buried it.

Not much eats the fox except maggots in my experience, if this was a Badger then he was desperate for food!

That is/was my thoughts, but can't find an alternative explanation as yet.

Other fox left in an out of way place in the past have been left to decay and Badgers are prevalent all over this particular land.

Next Fox is going to be monitored with a trail cam.

Not much eats the fox except maggots in my experience, if this was a Badger then he was desperate for food!

We have quite different experiences. I have keepered in Scotland, England and Wales and badgers (and other foxes) eating fox carcasses wasn't a rarity at all, even in the warmer months when there is plenty of other food around. If a badger comes across an easy/free meal, where little energy is expended he will more often than not take it.

We have quite different experiences. I have keepered in Scotland, England and Wales and badgers (and other foxes) eating fox carcasses wasn't a rarity at all, even in the warmer months when there is plenty of other food around. If a badger comes across an easy/free meal, where little energy is expended he will more often than not take it.

:lol::lol::good:

Perhaps they just go to higher class restaurants round here! :good:

I have not come accross many fox scavangers either ( apart from maggots ) I could probably take you to 5 lying out in the middle of fields that have been there 2 month with not so much as a nibble taken out of them.

p.s digging 30 yards from a billy sett is a good way to get nicked !

I have not come accross many fox scavangers either ( apart from maggots ) I could probably take you to 5 lying out in the middle of fields that have been there 2 month with not so much as a nibble taken out of them.

p.s digging 30 yards from a billy sett is a good way to get nicked !

Buried it where I shot it, and this particular sett is on neighbouring land.

I have actually seen Badgers in the middle of the day, albeit briefly.

Didn't fancy carrying it three or four hundred yards to get to a suitable dumping point, as I said this perm has Badgers all over, hence my original question.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

needless to say he ended up in the same hole,

silly fox.