Hi all,

Went shooting last weekend decoying over oilseed rape. However only left with 5 birds. There just weren’t any in the sky overhead. Any reason for this? It was about 6 degrees and clear sky with sun shining, light breeze. Is it the time of year? Am I better off shooting over the grass field behind the two rapeseed fields? I was shooting the traditional horseshoe pattern.

Thanks for any advice/tips

Thats not a bad days shooting a bad days shooting is setting up in a near hurricain yesterday only plus side hundreds of birds coming on 4 difrent lines. Hide blown to bits twice as the wind swung 45 degres face on shot 3 birds for 6 shots then nothing more. Wind & rain that stung your face packed up hide net wrapped in massive brambles start drive home wheel blows out broken spring through tyre limp 3 miles on spare same problem stuck in the middle of knowhere freezing and await recovery for 5 hrs arrive home at 10 o clock thats a bad days shooting. I just hope my cars fixed for saturday though back out again fingers crossed with a slightly better outcome lol....

Now that is a bad day shooting never had if that bad. I had the same thing last week got to the field, pigeons everywhere as walked on they disappeared only a few came back missed them nothing In sky For hours, packed up had a walk round my forest & unusual but not a pigeon anywhere totally boring & sitting in car today waiting for the clay ground to open need to shoot at something today !

Thats not a bad days shooting a bad days shooting is setting up in a near hurricain yesterday only plus side hundreds of birds coming on 4 difrent lines. Hide blown to bits twice as the wind swung 45 degres face on shot 3 birds for 6 shots then nothing more. Wind & rain that stung your face packed up hide net wrapped in massive brambles start drive home wheel blows out broken spring through tyre limp 3 miles on spare same problem stuck in the middle of knowhere freezing and await recovery for 5 hrs arrive home at 10 o clock thats a bad days shooting. I just hope my cars fixed for saturday though back out again fingers crossed with a slightly better outcome lol....

Thats not a bad day, thats a bloody horrible day!!!!

Just because you was on a field of rape don't mean you will shoot pigeons, watch the fields, study the flight lines, a lot goes into a good days pigeon shooting, you can't just turn up and expect to kill birds. Just keep watching and studying, it will all come together for you I'm sure. Best of luck.

And I though I had bad luck, the only thing that can go in your favour is it can only get better.

Not to say you can't have a decemt day with weather conditions you describe, but in my opinion a cloudy cold day with winds between 15-20mph is better.

Then you need to watch for birds preferably feeding on the field but more importantly in the air. When you see them In the air you want to watch the patterns and try to get as close to the flight line as possible. Sometimes flight lines are not that clear so choose a spot which is most visible from as many of the directions they are coming from.

If you have a magnet that will pull the birds towards you and the decoys should entice them down, (that's the idea anyway).

Pigeons In the air can be more important than birds on the ground because the ones on the ground will fly off when you set up, you want a steady stream coming in.

Keep at it, do your reconesanc and you will have better days.

Cos

Edited by Cosd