Lamping Fox In Snow

crowdie2013

Hi folks

New to lamping fox and only advice so far from mates/guys at the shoot and from good info Ive read on here.

Ive been baiting a couple of bits for the last few weeks and after a weeks lull, a fox or badger had dug out my cat food/pheasant casserole. Anyways we`ve quite deep snow here at home ranging from 8" to over a metre in the drifts. Bait stations are covered in the 8" snow and I can get clear shots from my garden so don't have to venture out too far. Had a look earlier and no tracks at them from last night/today. Its a bright moon just now and I can see well across the fields without a lamp; more snows forecast to come in about 11 tonight and if anything like last night it would be a waste of time going out- question is:- Will fox be out hunting in these conditions or more liable to be curled up keeping warm till snaw thaws or they get really hungry?

Cheers

Crowdie :good:

I've shot plenty of foxes in the snow. Depending on the light pollution, you will barely need the lamp, as they show up very easily in the snow.

As for 3 foot deep snow... Erm, go for somewhere a bit shallower and look for prints.

Edited by Billy.

I've baited and shot several foxes in the last few years, mainly with night vision and a rifle, however I have on 2 occasions shot foxes on a bait in a full moon and snow with a shot gun. The moon and snow combo gives the hunter a vast upper hand, I do believe foxes know if they can see miles themselves they can be seen. Foxes have to eat in this cold weather, more so in fact to keep warm and I find they come earlier to a bait in the cold than they do under normal weather conditions. Give it ago, best of luck and let us all know the result.

cheers men; aye baits covered by the shallower snow so at least that's favourable.

just going to go out now for a while till my baws freeze off!- I can see both bits from a shed so will at least be out the wind.....

I've shot plenty of foxes in the snow. Depending on the light pollution, you will barely need the lamp, as they show up very easily in the snow.

As for 3 foot deep snow... Erm, go for somewhere a bit shallower and look for prints.

no light pollution here thankfully - 10 miles from civilisation!