Stolen Shotgun

Old Bull

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has nothing to do with the pub.??

It says the window was smashed , which to me indicates it was in view , if he can't take 30 seconds to put it out of sight it's his own fault..

You go through all the hoops and hastle to gain a ticket , so just be extra careful is all I'm saying :)

Edited by fruity

Without the full facts it would seem that there are a couple of things wrong here firstly the gun was obviously not hidden from view of the casual thief. So security issues there also drinking and driving.either way it shows at least a casual approach to the laws of this country.And as for the above yes we should blame the gun owner who else would you blame.But at the end of the day another negative to go on the statistics against us.

Always dangerous to hypothesize, also always wise to perhaps put yourself in his position.

He may have taken the foreend into the pub, the thief may have been on the shoot with him and known his habits.

We simply dont know and would feel a bit ****** if others jumped to erroneous conclusions, were the roles reversed.

Some of the comments seem a bit harsh it doesnt say the gun was on view maybe someone saw something else they wanted who knows a coat, maybe saw a sat nav cable and bagged the gun at the same time. Was he dropping to the pub after a shoot with his mates whos to say he was drinking.

The bit at the bottom of the article is standard police advice for keeping items safe in your car it doesnt state the gun was in view. Also as Kes said whos to say the thieves dont not have a shotgun without any foreend.

IT doesnt automatically follow that the person is going to lose their ticket.

Hold on.......who says he was drinking alcohol (have you ever gone to a pub to eat and not consumed alcohol?) and where does it say it was left in view?

There are many occasions where shooters will stop for one reason or another on the way to or from their shooting venue. It does not make them all irresponsible gun owners. Yes if he was a couple of miles from home he 'could' have taken gun home first......but the law doesn't state that and what if he wasn't?

A group of us went to Wales earlier this season and we all stopped at services on way and left guns locked out of sign on vehicles. Is this considered irresponsible?

It was a van and maybe nothing was on view and the theif was expecting tools or other 'swag' to steal?

If vehicle was locked and gun out of sight then he's done little wrong.

It does say his coat was also taken, I know in the past I've used a cost to cover my guns up when I have had to stop.

Some comments do seem a little bit quick to jump on the poor bloke who must be gutted.

Personally I do think it was a silly thing to do, but again I know a few people who have done the same thing especially after a good shoot. One reason I bought a lockable gun draw for the back of my 110.

As long as the gun was locked in the car out of sight the gun owner has done absolutely nothing wrong and no he should not then lose his ticket,

Exactly.

Let he who has not left a shooter in the back of a locked van or in the boot of a locked car throw the first stone.

Don't let not knowing the facts and the opportunity for a holier than thou rant up get in anyways way though. I'm all for hanging the bloke and his wife and kids because it wasn't me who it happened to.

Same old keyboard warriors hanging the bloke without having a clue of what happened.

I often stop for a drink /bite to eat on the way home from shooting, are you suggesting I am irresponsible drunken Doc, maybe you should contact the GMC and have my licence to practice removed while you are at it

makes me wonder if these people actually own a gun, if they do I suspect they rarely take it out of the safe. But bet they tell all there mates, well if they have any, what Rambo's they are

Edited by docholiday

I guess it is a bit harsh to blame the owner. After all who's responsibility is it to take adequate measures to secure your guns at all times. The back of a van in a public place with a coat or other such thing to hide it along with all the protection that a van widow offers is obviously good enough. And no i do not and never have left my guns in a unattended vehicle never stopped at a pub or cafe on the way home from shooting. Yes maybe that makes me a miserable old *** but my guns mean more to me than a hour in the pub.How difficult is it to fit a chain or a safe in the van not that hard I have car.truck and van so I know it can be done easily and cheaply. It is the certificate holders responsibility to secure and in this case it clearly was not.If it had been stolen from his home from its cabinet then that is a different matter as all reasonable precautions would have been taken.Either way another legally held firearm is now in the hands of the criminal element.atb

Edited by bostonmick

happened to a lad I know, caused him lots of bother but sorted in the end, after that happened we cleared it with the pub that we could bring slipped guns into the pub, problem solved, if I stop on the way home I now take the slipped gun with me,

I suggest we learn from the lesson above, do not judge and hope he gets support from the BASC to retain his licence

Never stops Bostondick from having a swipe though.

Some of the comments seem a bit harsh it doesnt say the gun was on view maybe someone saw something else they wanted who knows a coat, maybe saw a sat nav cable and bagged the gun at the same time. Was he dropping to the pub after a shoot with his mates whos to say he was drinking.

The bit at the bottom of the article is standard police advice for keeping items safe in your car it doesnt state the gun was in view. Also as Kes said whos to say the thieves dont not have a shotgun without any foreend.

IT doesnt automatically follow that the person is going to lose their ticket.

Same old keyboard warriors hanging the bloke without having a clue of what happened.

I often stop for a drink /bite to eat on the way home from shooting, are you suggesting I am irresponsible drunken Doc, maybe you should contact the GMC and have my licence to practice removed while you are at it

makes me wonder if these people actually own a gun, if they do I suspect they rarely take it out of the safe. But bet they tell all there mates, well if they have any, what Rambo's they are

So just because you do it, it's ok and safe, and everyone else who has a different opinion to you are wrong, don't go out shooting, have no friends and are a keyboard warrior ha :)

it is not that necessary that someone is only going to smash the window if it is visible, what if someone is standing on side, and can clearly see ah there hunters back from evening flight or pheasant shoot and all got weapons in car... wow they all going for a drink before departure time to smash the nearest and safe side car lets do it... bang there you go..

Somewhat off topic I suppose but I wonder why an apparently casual thief would steal a shotgun. What is a shotgun worth on the black market? He can't exactly take it down to the local social club and sell it and if he's caught in possession of a firearm it's 10:1 he'll go down, whereas if he's caught with stolen laptop/camera/tablet etc. it's a slap on the wrist and 20 days community service which he won't do.

Just wondering what the motive is to steal a shotgun...