A proud moment - the other way around

Mentalmac

Hi All,

For a few years I've been shooting, my parents have often heard many stories of mine about shooting, however my dads never been or had the chance before - until today. He's always been so busy working that I can't actually ever remember just spending even a couple of hours with just dad, so this was quite an experience to me.

I took dad to the Fennes so he could have a go at shooting a shotgun for the first time and try to get him to bust some clays...

Well we did some shotgun mount practise and safety drills and some theory at home before we went and on dads first shot he dusted his first clay.

He was well chuffed. There was some misses and some laughing and some hits, and soon his promise to fund the clays for our round seemed rather steep haha :-).

Was a proud moment though to get dad away from his work and letting his hair down and for the first time in nearly my whole life spending an afternoon just us two, hoping to do many more. We've a bit to work on, but he did great for a first time :-)

D2E2DEF9-3F59-4CC9-9F87-277DC172DCA7-319

4D677CF1-1D6B-4EC4-B3CE-DC85B25E79AB-319

D139E1D5-0AC3-40E8-9A1D-D538F8CE6B7B-319

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn306/mentalmac89/7DE8B15B-1DEF-4F0C-9F01-CD2FFA516F4C-31991-000028FF470FCC97_zps36a1a688.mp4

amazing thing to do and it sounds like you both had a wonderfull day :good:

my 80 year old dad used firearms in the raf but hasnt expressed interest in having a go with a shotgun until recently, so me and my shooting partner are going to take him to a local quary with my mates bowman trap to let him have a go... didnt think i would feel this way but i cant wait for him to have a go

Top day out in my book :good:

I'm lucky to have spent a lot of time with the old man in the field and have some great memories .

That last pic is awesome :yes:

Thanks Magman, :-) I had such fun and It was really nice to see him smile and get to know him in a different way than I have done all these years, definitely going to keep ensuring we go once a month from now on.

amazing thing to do and it sounds like you both had a wonderfull day :good:

my 80 year old dad used firearms in the raf but hasnt expressed interest in having a go with a shotgun until recently, so me and my shooting partner are going to take him to a local quary with my mates bowman trap to let him have a go... didnt think i would feel this way but i cant wait for him to have a go

Its a great thing and youll have fun seeing your dad hitting clays I'm sure. It's nice to have a decent common ground to chat about too, and another excuse to leave the house and get away from the girls!

Wish I could with mine ,treasure them moments there not here for ever

That's great advice, and I am sure I will, :-)

Magic moments, I'm very jealous.

Sorry that you have to be jealous PC, if its any consolation, its taken me around 25 years to spend one afternoon with my dad on our own. He's been working so much through my life and in London so leaves around 6am and home after 8pm most nights so as a young one I once asked my mum if dad was dead.

Now dads taken an easier job to tick over until retirement so really happy to see him more and hoping that I can rope him into more shooting :-).

Great to read about your special day, hope you have many more👍

Thanks :-). I do too, it was great and hopefully if he gets really good he can come shooting love quarry with me too, :-)

As said,time with the old man takes a bit of beating for sure.

I've seen your posts on here before I am sure in this section, with your family shooting - it's part of seeing members on here with their parents and kids all shooting together spending time out in the country inspired me to start nagging :-)

I find it quite shocking he hasn't spent time with you before now.

I'm not a perfect dad but time with my son has always been more important than work.

A lot of dads think kids want the money and spend all their time working for it, I think the kids value spending time together a great deal more.

Glad you enjoyed your day and wish you many more. :good:

My Dad taught me and, later on, his grand kids, a lot of country craft. Fishing, hunting, shooting, scrumping and a bit of how to stretch the law and get away with it! We didn't have an easy life but we had some great times and some truly wonderful memories. He has been gone a few years now but sometimes a thought enters my head or I see something while I'm out walking and I realise that I still really miss him. I can even remember looking out of the window at his service and seeing rabbits playing outside. The first thing I thought was "Dad would have had them".

Time is moving on matey, don't let it pass you by and leave you with regrets.

Great last photo by the way!

Edited by Marki

My Dad taught me and, later on, his grand kids, a lot of country craft. Fishing, hunting, shooting, scrumping and a bit of how to stretch the law and get away with it! We didn't have an easy life but we had some great times and some truly wonderful memories. He has been gone a few years now but sometimes a thought enters my head or I see something while I'm out walking and I realise that I still really miss him. I can even remember looking out of the window at his service and seeing rabbits playing outside. The first thing I thought was "Dad would have had them".

Got to say brought a tear to my eye mate, mines been gone 15 years and feels like yesterday

Grab every day as its your last

A great positive post my friend.

Great photos too.

My father was rotten all the way through.

Look out for each other :-)

U.

Thanks U, :-). Sad about your dad though U, but glad you are all good :-)

Hi

Great day out quality time at its best 😃

Hope you have many more

All the best

Of

me too OF, I think the bugs bitten him now, he's already asking when we can go next time. :-)

I find it quite shocking he hasn't spent time with you before now.

I'm not a perfect dad but time with my son has always been more important than work.

A lot of dads think kids want the money and spend all their time working for it, I think the kids value spending time together a great deal more.

Glad you enjoyed your day and wish you many more. :good:

Know the feeling, it's odd because his dad died when he was 14 of a long drawn out cancer and Dad had to learn and become the 'man of the house' in a fairly traditional family (stiff upper lip type) and I think it's affected him getting too close to me for fear of the same thing perhaps. That and he practically lives working and then when not in the City he's a scout leader and scout treasurer.

Hopefully now with his new job he's going to have much more time to relax and grow old gracefully haha,

:-)

thanks Marki, its great seeing the shot on its way :-)

My son was really disappointed today when I told him I couldn't go fly his kite with him because I was working. :O

He is 26!

And I did take him last weekend :D

:-) power kite or traction kite?

It's nice to spend time with parents.

I frequently travel abroad for my job (usually once or more a month) and I have missed birthdays, nearly a birth, all sorts - but I feel I make up for it ten fold when I am about by doing extra with my kids, my 11 year old step daughter comes shooting regularly with me, my 3 year old helps clean my guns with me and helps me draw targets and is a keen cooks hand in the kitchen and my 1.5 year old is practically glue to me when ever I'm at home :-),

Went round my parents today, for my dad to proudly show me the red mark on his arm from shooting (not a perfect gun fit to be fair) and he is thinking of going for his own SGC soon too :-) - dad = converted.