I took one for the 'team' today.

JDog

My plans for today were straightforward. A leisurely breakfast then out to a rape field which I have only just noticed being attended to by pigeons. All of those plans were thwarted when I looked out of the window at first light to see 10cm of snow.

The snow would not have stopped me going decoying but what did was the fact that Lady JDog had to go to work this morning. She does not have a 4wd and I had to take her and wait until she had finished at 12:00. My Forester only just managed it out of the drive onto the minor road nearby so she would have had no chance of getting out in her car. Through gritted teeth I sat in her office reading the Shooting Gazette, the Daily Telegraph, and anything else I could get hold of until she finally said she was ready to go at 12:15.

The drive home was interesting. I resisted speeding but my mind was elsewhere and when we got back I unceremoniously chucked her out of the car (metaphorically you understand), picked up Jasper and shot off as it were. I arrived at the field fifteen minutes later having been held up by the level crossing barrier at Paxford for what seemed like an age. My mind was already made up and I travelled light with a light weight net, two dead birds and two floaters in addition to my gun and 75 cartridges. It was quite a walk to my chosen position.

The birds did not decoy but I shot them on the flight line and in an hour and a half I had used all of the cartridges and I eventually picked 36 pigeons. I was standing in Gloucestershire and some birds fell dead in Warwickshire.

DSC05926.jpg

Nice one. Lovin the modern interpretation of the layout. Your freedom of expression is a novel and bold distinguishing feature. It represents a notable change when compared to the stylised regiment ranks of the birmingham old master. Good shooting.

Edited by Dr D

good on you jdog , nice write up and a good bag mate ,

I too went out this more for a proper go at the topped maze , but was snowed off , as it settled all over my maze . it just would not ease up , so weather permitting going to have a few hrs tomorrow afternoon .

Nice one. When I walked the dog around yesterday mid afternoon I put up three packs 20 > 30 in separate fields and they were feeding on Grass / weeds. they were quite steady and didn't appear to be freeked out as they took off and landed about fifty yards away again and then took off again and floated around into the trees in a wood.

Nice one. Lovin the modern interpretation of the layout. Your freedom of expression is a novel and bold distinguishing feature. It represents a notable change when compared to the stylised regiment ranks of the birmingham old master. Good shooting.

I was brought up to write factual reports and it shows

So one thing you must sort out JDog is a 4 wheel drive for the good lady. Those Lincolnshire winters can be pretty difficult I hear and just think of all that taxi journeying you will be doing if you don't sort her out with a car that can cope with 10cm of snow!

Good result by the way.....

Ps Bella is seeing the vet on Monday for the final time (sad face)

I forgot to congratulate you on your tenacity after viewing your post , the only citicism is the scruffy presentation of the result you should have some respect for your quarry as some American tourist is going to pay good money in one of your Cotswold pubs. You will be OK in Linconshire I've heard they eat them in the feather , heads and all?????????