end of season

Neil r

Thats another year done and a lot of hard work put in by my 2 year old cocker. Its been his first full season and whilst far from perfect he hasn't done bad.

so does he deserve a training holiday? Was thinking a few weeks till we start again.......

what sort of training holiday has your shooting companion earned?

Mines 18 months old

And much the same as yours has done really well, most of the time.

Last drive of the day yesterday he flushed, chased and retrieved the same pheasant .

Obviously I appoligised .

There wasn't any big fuss made, but I can now have free run in the woods and pheasant pen until June .

So I'll be taking full advantage to work on steadiness

good luck with the holidays, just keep up heel work when out walking and general obedience with the dogs. They love working so small steps. Interested that they both did full seasons which was great as ive seen plenty of 1yr old dogs pushed into it too early; just gauge how the dogs are doing and never be afraid to give a young dog a break mid seasonif its not performing as you know it can. A firm believer of letting a dog mature at its own pace; better having a good companion for 6-10 years than an embarrassment for 9-10 years; not that Im suggesting that with yours of course. RTR

well all I can say is I,m glad the season has finished, my dog 23mths has worked his socks off, firstly helping out beating and flushing and then dropped in the deep end being used to pick up, he hasn,t stopped all season

I was more than happy how well he performed picking up but will give him 2 weeks off to enjoy himself then back to work, I need him to be a bit more obedient on recall and his one big mistake was dropping a bird in his mouth and picking another one up if it landed by him whilst retrieving it back to me, did this a couple of times so need to cure that one,,

this was his first season and considering ,, I was pleased but still a long way to go, but hes worth it

• 2 weeks later...