Recommended shooting mags?

fishot

As a newcomer to the sport I'm looking to gather some knowledge - which magazines would you recommend?

I'm particularly interested in pigeon/rough shooting with a bit of lower end pheasant shooting and some advice on second hand shotgun purchases but general shooting stuff too.

Thanks

FS

try sporting gun it tends to offer more on pigeons and is a good mag...the likes of shooting times tends to be all about the southern half of the country I find nowt up north were we live,i would stick to 1 mag otherwise you will find ya skint coz there not cheap....get sporting gun on subscription fella and trail thru the pigeon forum you will pick up loads of shooting tips...good luck bud. :good:

As a new shooter you should find any of the sporting publications interesting.unfortunatly I find that they all just a repeat themselves after about a year . I don't buy any of them any more .

Harnser

I agree with the repeat issue and it's not restricted to shooting magazines. 30 yrs ago I started fly fishing and in the first year avidly bought magazines. Year 2 and I found myself reading the same articles rebranded. Now, if I pop into W H Smith and read a trout magazine it's almost the same articles 30 years on.

As a newcomer to the sport I'm looking to gather some knowledge - which magazines would you recommend?

I'm particularly interested in pigeon/rough shooting with a bit of lower end pheasant shooting and some advice on second hand shotgun purchases but general shooting stuff too.

Thanks

FS

If you want to PM me an address I have probably got a few recent issues of sporting Gun I can send you. :good:

+1 for Sporting Gun. Lots of info available also for your particular interests on the net

The likes of www.Shootinguk.co.uk which uses the resource from Sporting Gun, Shooting Times & Shooting Gazette.

Currently has subscriptions for Sporting Gun @ £13.99 for six months delivered to your door.

I used to buy them all but as said become repetitive after a while!!

www.Fieldsportschannel.tv have a weekly online program and you can catch up on Youtube on previous (200+) episodes.

Should keep you going for a while!

Lots of info out there

Many thanks for all the replies - much appreciated.

I have for many years subscribed to a fishing mag - and yes it is very repetitive!

From the comments I'm sure a few copies of sporting gun will help a newcomer though and many members on here have already been very helpful.

Cheers

Another good read I can recommend is

Will Garfit's book titled Will's pigeon shooting.

Very good for someone coming into our sport.

Filled with good advice and info.

Also on youtube try fieldsport tv on weds eve.

Also The shooting show on mon eve.

Another thing with this site you can look at threads

from a while back.

As Hanser says don't be afraid to ask.