Air Arms S510 Superlight Yay or Nay

Longstrider

Well guys, I'm giving up the smokes and saving the pennies towards my first PCP (Once my Springtime Hols has been payed for and enjoyed). I've had dozens of air rifles over the years but nothing, simply nothing, has ever come close to my trusty old HW80. Consequently I hankered for some time for the HW100. I was impressed by the build quality and solidity of the thing as well as preferring the side lever to the rear-mounted bolt that most seem to utilise. However, having now handled (in the shop, not actually shooting) an AA S510 Superlight I think I might have to change my mind. The thing weighs about as much as a good burp but is still a full size rifle !

I guess I'm looking for informed opinions on the S510. It'll be used for shooting live quarry mostly (and a far bit of plinking to start off with, of course) and will be .22" and sub-12ft lbs (if I need more power I'll take on of my rimmies ;) )

What shot counts are folks getting ? Any feed problems ? Any annoying niggles ? I'm guessing with Air Arms behind it there are no accuracy problems ? Etc etc ..

Daft question.

Get it!! I had an S510 and still have days when i regret shifting it. Mine was a .177 gave about 60 shots, so the ,22 i think is 80ish? I never had any problems with it at all. It's super accurate and it is so light and manoeuvrable, it's a top class hunter.

the feed was always really good and didn't seem that pellet fussy. Great gun!

I go with Chris above. Bought one a few yr back to try, thought I'd swap and change. No point, more accurate than I'll ever be, shot count as said above, never had a problem with the mag feed and the side lever is so fast and easy too. It's kill list is growing weekly and I love it.

Get it bought you won't regret it 👍

I have got to agree with Chris. A Fantastic gun , that you can carry all day, Reliable, solid engineering.

You can double load it, and sometimes the 'indexing' finger on the magazine can get weak with age.

But, the parts are cheap and available. .22, Gets about 80 shots max. I use AA Diablo in mine , which gives

11.4 ft/lbs.

It used to be my' first choice' for hunting the long eared, but I now use a .177 s410 , with JSB heavies.

save for a litte bit longer and buy a DAYSTATE HUNTSMAN CLASSIC sorry guys,,

you wont be disappointed, also its got a better shot count and imo is the best looking and performing hunting rifle out there, built to last and not much more expensive,

don't buy the regal make sure its the huntsman classic

as for the s510 superlite,, excellent rifle, but doesn,t ooze the class of the huntsman

tin hat on chaps, :whistling::whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

magpieswithhuntsman002_zps584bd78e.jpg

you wont be disappointed, also its got a better shot count and imo is the best looking and performing hunting rifle out there, built to last and not much more expensive,

as for the s510 superlite,, excellent rifle, but doesn,t ooze the class of the huntsman

He he find that funny as your username would point him towards the Air arms evo :whistling:

Edited by magman

Jeeeez ,evo-every oportunity

Weeell, I would dare to say that if anyone were asking about a Daystate, there would be some that would jump in, suggesting the AAs were cheaper, better, or more/just as accurate, more reliable, etc, etc.

Not sure why not a Regal, but perhaps Evo could enlighten (or maybe has previously?).

I might ask why the poster does not fancy the bolt action version - cheaper still?

Personally, both makes seem about on a par. I fancied a Daystate but settled for an AA. They both likely shoot better than me. I also settled for a 22 rather than the 177 - even though air is cheaper than pellets and flatter trajectory is better, given short to medium range targets.

It's all a compromise and long live competition between marques.

Shot counts in excess of 80 are irrelevant to me TBH. Hell, I'm a big fella, but I can only carry so many dead bunnies !

Would I like something to show off at the range ? What's a range ?? ;) Is it where cowboys work ? ;)

'Pretty' doesn't count for much with me when it comes to guns of any kind. I shoot pigeon with a lovely old Cogswell&Harrison S/S, but you'd never know coz it's covered from stem to stern in cammo tape ! My old '80 has more dings and scratches than a ****** truck, but it brings home bunnies from where others fear to tread.

This is all SWMBO's fault really. She wanted to learn how to shoot, but being somewhat smaller than me and a Lady-girl type person, couldn't cock a springer easily. She went off and bought herself a BSA Ultra SE and consequently I've fallen for the PCP idea after plinking in the garden with it.

How much is a New Daystate Huntsman Classic?

Sportsman gun centre still sell the huntsman classic new, bit dear though at £782, I bought mine new for £700 without a scope and only one mag , so really it will depend where you find a new one but they truelly are an excellent rifle