Returns

Sorry did not intend to make it appear we were that hard up.Its just that the economics don't add up.I am sure most DIY shoots have the same problem but at the end of the day we do it because we enjoy what we do .We put in hours carrying out work parties,feeding ,dogging in and many other tasks involved in the running of the shoot. On shoot days it all seems worth while when we take to the field and as those first birds start to fly towards us we mount fire and hopefully hit them.

We have a clay shoot annually, makes £300.

A hog roast inviting people along, makes £150.

At this we raffle a 50 bird day, went for £300.

Surely you can make a few quid somewhere?

I put on a clay shoot once a year for a few syndicate shoots on their land after the game season,They can make well over £1000 which covers a few costs through the season

All these numbers mean nothing without informing us about other nearby estates, and total bird numbers.

I've know shoots to get returns of 200%, the fact that most (if not all) of there drives and cover crop was on the border of a 30,000+ bird estate was rarely if ever mentioned.

But getting over 1/3 total of your own birds back is not bad going in my books.

40% on pheasants and 22% on partridges our best season ever now preparing for next tryin to improve even more

Not being harsh, your partridge count is low and im sure you can improve.

Do you clear all your pens well so that there disease free?

Are the birds healthy and fit?

Are they getting plenty of food?

Do they have lots of cover to get away from birds of prey Aswell as sleeping ground? (Grass strips, leaving maze strips till you can etc...)

Are you doing everything you can to kill vermin?

Lots of Birds of prey? Dont make it easy for them to get your birds! Theres always going to be a few but if they cant feed they will move on. I know theres pigeons etc... but its better for them to kill pigeons then your birds.

Are you birds flying fit? Get them to there best!

GL next season consentrate on vermin!

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of years ago we put out 50 partridges - as an experiment - we got two. 4%.

The following year we tried again. 6%.

We decided that the buzzards and our piece of ground had won.

Only tried because our new keeper wanted to experiment.

I'd had a go about 15 years ago with much the same results.

The same years we got 53 and 64% returns on our pheasants.

Conclusion is that our cover and the way we run the days - 100 bird pheasants - is not conducive to including a few partridges in the bag.

I think that if we swamped the shoot with redlegs and concentrated our efforts towards them we would do OK.

You have to think big with partridges.

• 2 weeks later...

Is that driving the duck or flighting, would of thought you would get that many wild

That was driving the duck as part of a drive on that particular pond, we did shoot a few teal and wigeon also which I have not counted. Main issue was that the pond was frozen from mid November until mid February so the ducks had to move on. When feeding today there were easily 2 dozen mallard so unsure whether they have returned.

Couple of years ago we put out 50 partridges - as an experiment - we got two. 4%.

The following year we tried again. 6%.

We decided that the buzzards and our piece of ground had won.

Only tried because our new keeper wanted to experiment.

I'd had a go about 15 years ago with much the same results.

The same years we got 53 and 64% returns on our pheasants.

Conclusion is that our cover and the way we run the days - 100 bird pheasants - is not conducive to including a few partridges in the bag.

I think that if we swamped the shoot with redlegs and concentrated our efforts towards them we would do OK.

You have to think big with partridges.

We stopped ducks and put 100 partridges down at 5 release sites. First year we shot 16, pheasants were about normal, 35% - 40%. Floowing year the whole of teh center of the shoot was set aside stubble, we put 200 in this time, and shot 10 or 12.

Talking to Malcome Brockless (the keeper at the game Conservancy Partridge Project) at a GC evening he advises that you must put sufficient in to warrant full days shooting in Sept and Oct to get decent returns, by Nov the predators have had them.

A