Air gun cylinder

Carman06

you only get 5 years from date of manufacture if its a new bottle and its surface use only, check the type of valve fitted and the date stamp on the bottle, personally, if I was buying a new bottle from a shop and it was more than a year old I would ask for it to be tested at the shops expense first

And it will need a regulator on too!

Another vote for East Coast Diving at Donington here (http://www.eastcoastdiving.co.uk/). Ian Gedney is a decent chap and an Air Arms owner too! Usually has a few appropriate cylinders around his workshop and diving school! Full contact details are on his web site. If you are in the north of the county he may even deliver to you on his way to the Humber for some cod fishing!

Granted there are bargains to be had but be very wary of buying a cylinder second hand and never buy one unseen. Make sure it is "in test" with no more than a year since it was last tested. It's stamped on the side of the bottle. The must be filled with dry air from a dive shop. Any rust inside it and it will fail a test, hence no more than a year since last test. Walk away if it is out of test, regardless of condition unless the seller is willing to have it retested at their expense.

Granted there are bargains to be had but be very wary of buying a cylinder second hand and never buy one unseen. Make sure it is "in test" with no more than a year since it was last tested. It's stamped on the side of the bottle. The must be filled with dry air from a dive shop. Any rust inside it and it will fail a test, hence no more than a year since last test. Walk away if it is out of test, regardless of condition unless the seller is willing to have it retested at their expense.

Ian Gedney runs East Coast diving, any cylinder he sells will have test, he hydro and visual tests cylinders. He has valves, gauges, cylinders and even builds the hydro test equipment! Stuf Ian sells is good quality!

Depending on how you wish to use the cylinder may point the way to which size cylinder you buy.

If you are using it solely as a reservoir and filling before hunting with no need to refill that day/ evening ( for example, my regulated AA S410 will not need refilling when out rabbiting for the evening) then a 3 or 4 litre will not last you very long as a reservoir and it's refill costs mount. A 10 or 12 litre 232 bar cylinder is in my view a better reservoir. Moreover these are the work horses of scuba divers and more likely to be available in test and 2nd hand.

Only if you need to take a refill reservoir with you then the larger cylinders are impracticable unless you can return to your car for a fill. This is where a 3 litre comes into it's own as a back up.

Last year I retired after 20+ years scuba diving so am fortunate to have a 12 and a 3 litre!