Wildfowling - Where would you like to shoot.

Richie10

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is nice to notice that most of us regulars on the fowling forum seem pretty contented with what we've got.

I'm not saying I'm not content with what fowling i have. I'm probably lucky than some fowlers because it's only a 2 minute walk to my loacal marsh ..it's always Nice to go somewhere different and meet other fowlers .. but like the saying goes there's nothing better than sleeping in your own bed ..

Ww

I've stood on the margins of the Serpentine a number of times wishing I could have had a Henry Tolley 10 bore with me for some nice wildfowl bags. It has the advantage of easy access and a nice cafe for a hot cuppa in the winter months. South Kensington tube is a bit of a hike but Lancaster Gate tube is closer.

Like Islandgun says, no mud which gets a big thumbs up from me :good:

serpentine-att1_zpsqo3utcxy.jpg

Think I know where you mean Aberfowl I'm up your way tomorrow for 2 days working at Baxters Shoot the wash myself if you do ever fancy it ?

Do you get shooting up here much? Have had a poor season myself, due to poor aim rather than lack of opportunity.

I will be up near Nairn Saturday morning for ago then down to the local estuary on the evening.

I have family down in Yorkshire, may make the annual trip coincide with the fowling season at the end of this year and carry on down to the wash for a couple days shooting.

Would be grateful of someone who knows the area to give me a small tour!

Do you get shooting up here much? Have had a poor season myself, due to poor aim rather than lack of opportunity.

I will be up near Nairn Saturday morning for ago then down to the local estuary on the evening.

I have family down in Yorkshire, may make the annual trip coincide with the fowling season at the end of this year and carry on down to the wash for a couple days shooting.

Would be grateful of someone who knows the area to give me a small tour!

I've shot up your way a bit Munlochy bay,Findhorn and over at Mintlaw shooting the geese coming off Strathbeg Loch

I don't know about that lol o hang on uncle Albert did ha .

Did i say I'm doing a towing service also this coming season ****

Thats good to know mate , I was going to invest in a 4X4 but wont bother now :lol:

Don't remember you telling me about that Ade ?

I am sure I did , and even if I did not I am sure someone else would have done :whistling:

I have shot around lots of parts of UK, but would love to have a go from a boat on ether the levels or the broads, just something about the boat interests me

You can get a day ticket to shoot on Rockland broad from a boat (boat provided). A unique experience as I think it is the only broad that is still shot like this. Details are in the BASC wildfowling booklet.

Years ago I used to look on very enviously from the small day ticket section at the Southport sand works at the massive salt marshes further north. Wigeon that formed massive black clouds when they lifted and skein after skein of Pinks flighting off thirty yards high even on a still day. And these marshes are shot over...very lucky guys but very much a closed shop with a crazy long waiting list even for locals.

I have shot around lots of parts of UK, but would love to have a go from a boat on ether the levels or the broads, just something about the boat interests me

If you go to the Rockland Wildfowlers Association website you will find the details of how to book one of the 2 BASC boats available. Once a BASC member it is only £35 for the day for 2 people. Simples 😊👍

Years ago I used to look on very enviously from the small day ticket section at the Southport sand works at the massive salt marshes further north. Wigeon that formed massive black clouds when they lifted and skein after skein of Pinks flighting off thirty yards high even on a still day. And these marshes are shot over...very lucky guys but very much a closed shop with a crazy long waiting list even for locals.

I shoot the Ribble estuary on those salt marshes you describe - I'm very local and yes it was a long wait... I count myself lucky but think travelling helps you appreciate what you've got. For me Lindesfarne is a bit of a mythical place I've read so much about - my dad shot it as a local lad- and one I look forward to shooting in the future. There is so much to learn and see elsewhere but accept it is great to return home. Hopefully in another 20 years I'll still be shooting my local marshes and be happy with my lot, can't think why not but in the mean time - travel broadens the mind...

I have a couple of venues I hope to visit next season. Richie kindly invited me to shoot blackwater with him but I didn't find time this season so if the offer is still there I will join him next season. Also I want a trip to Scotland to shoot the foreshore there. Both are in my plans for next season.

I have a couple of venues I hope to visit next season. Richie kindly invited me to shoot blackwater with him but I didn't find time this season so if the offer is still there I will join him next season. Also I want a trip to Scotland to shoot the foreshore there. Both are in my plans for next season.

Whenever you have time, you are welcome.

I have not really travelled much wildfowling, this year I was fortunate enough to be invited on a trip to the Solway. It was a amazing seeing and hearing the pinks for the first time.

Hopefully I can make the trip again next season. There are many places I would like to shoot in the future, next season I would like to have a flight on the Taw & Torridge marshes after holidaying down there last year.

A nice estuary the Blackwater, with some good marshes, although nothing on the size of your local ground.

If you go to the Rockland Wildfowlers Association website you will find the details of how to book one of the 2 BASC boats available. Once a BASC member it is only £35 for the day for 2 people. Simples

That's what I have always quite fancied doing, and there it is on a plate for next season. Brilliant!

Thanks to Rockland Wildfowlers, BASC, Pigeonwatch and Varminator (again) :good: