Rearing under banties

Hi guys,

Does anyone have much experience of rearing game/ducks under banties? Any horror stories? Do you find they tend to hold better if reared this way?

I've generally reared under lamps, not on a big scale, just 2-300 pheasants but as I become busier running my farm I wondered if the broodies might do the job for me and then I can make up the difference in numbers buying in a few poults. would it save me any money in the long run? I can get discounted feed this year from a farming friend who has chickens.

Henry

We buy ex-layers for our rough shoot and they lay dozens and dozens of eggs which we give to the landowners Mum who keeps chickens. We bought her a small Brinsea incubator as her broody hens couldn't cope with the numbers we were getting, but the chicks raised under the broodies work out fine. I couldn't say if they hold any better really though.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know of any good either poultry books that talk about working wi broodies (completely new to poultry althou reared plenty of pheas/duck in modern huts) or old fashioned keepering books that talk about it when keepers had hundreds of broodies.

Hopefully for season after this i should be able to have a go at it for both Greys and mibee pheasant.

Also is there any way to get ur banties to 'go on cluck' say u had 100 eggs arriving on a certain day can u guarrantee u would have some ready for the eggs

Run your own shoot by David Hudson has some good articles in about broodys and there is another book but off top of my head I can't remember Al have a look for it. If you wanting to get them to sit get a card board box cut slits in one side just enough so ventilation put some straw in and 12 hard boiled eggs or golf balls put her in and leave her 12 hour then take her off to have a drink and feed and muck out then place bak on the nest she will be sitting by the 5 day it's all in David Hudson book it's worked or me I have loads of broodies

Spot on cheers kev.

Like i said absolutely zero experience with poultry other than game.

As it turns out David Hudson lives just a few miles away, i dinae kactually know him but pick up with his shoot captain so will make sure we meet up some time.

Funny enough i was reading 1 of his shooting books and seen some photos o folk i knew and then towards the end seen 2 mates in it when they were young boys, couldnae figure it out until i realised he lived local,