Stirrup pump or divers bottle

foxshooter69

I have a HW100 KT , and I opted for a pump , best move ever in my case , I bought the new Hatsan one built like a tank and a piece of cake to use , I can charge my rifle back up to 200bar in under 2 mins , that's setting it up , charging and disconnecting it ..... job done .

It cost me £120 inc delivery from blackpool air rifles ,

p,s and you DONT have to be built like a brick **** house ,

Edited by stevo

if you only use the rifle occasionally then go for a pump,

if you use the rifle on a regular basis then go for a dive cylinder,

stirrup pumps can and DO put moisture inside your guns air cylinder,,

dive cylinders will NOT put moisture in your guns air cylinder,

a dive cylinder is the way to go to be honest and will fill your pcp with CLEAN DRY air, anyone who uses a pump these days is just too tight to spend money :lol::lol: :lol:

Edited by evo

it has been said that its only a couple of minutes pumping, ooer missus, but I like using a bottle. Quick and simple, needs refilling and a test but hey. Stirrups do have inbuilt moisture traps and should be classed as fulfilling the government health guideline of get yourself out of breath lol

few years back I bought rifle and pump, it nearly killed me the first time I used it, went back and exchanged it for a bottle

two things spring to mind, it was hard enough in the living room with the nice flat floor, think out in the field, soft muddy stuff, yes you could find a rock or something, but really!!!!

secondly, if you totally empty the rifle, then you need the pressure of a bottle to close the rifles internal valve, you aint getting that with a pump, so you'll end up having to take it to a shop to do anyway, may as well get the bottle

pity you were not closer as I have both for sale

Depends on the size of the bottle on the rifle. I have s410 and it doesn't take much to fill with a pump but I'm sure a large buddy bottle will be more work. The other thing with a pump, especially in the winter, is not to pump too hard otherwise the air warms up and causes condensation as it goes into a cold bottle which can cause internal rust.

A divers bottle is filled with dry breathable air.

Depends on the size of the bottle on the rifle. I have s410 and it doesn't take much to fill with a pump but I'm sure a large buddy bottle will be more work. The other thing with a pump, especially in the winter, is not to pump too hard otherwise the air warms up and causes condensation as it goes into a cold bottle which can cause internal rust.

A divers bottle is filled with dry breathable air.

yeah very good point there , mine is only a carbine , so like you not a lot to fill up , I have never had the pump warm up . but im sure on a bigger rifle that would change .

atb

See if they can still take the pressure, Same as your gas tank in the garden,etc,etc,etc.

Even my bottle for gas for welding has to be tested every few years.. (IF) it went it would be like a hand grenade.. :whistling:

yep i get that . Cheers

I opted for a bottle, was using a pump until it failed on me at 200bar, the handle clean broke off when it was fully compressed. Leaving the centre rod to fly up and into my stomach. Ended up in a&e with an internal bleed. Lucky for me it ended up as just a massive bruise and solid lump of blood just under the skin. If i didn't have a thick jumper on it would of been a different story..

I opted for a bottle, was using a pump until it failed on me at 200bar, the handle clean broke off when it was fully compressed. Leaving the centre rod to fly up and into my stomach. Ended up in a&e with an internal bleed. Lucky for me it ended up as just a massive bruise and solid lump of blood just under the skin. If i didn't have a thick jumper on it would of been a different story..

Wow that sounds nasty! Glad to hear your ok

• 2 weeks later...

Each to they're own,personally I've had both,I had a pump which i found kept me very fit but was a pain in the **** to maintain (cheap pump) I then resorted to driving 20 minutes down the road to the local gun shop to get it pumped up,it cost 2 pound a time plus a 5er in diesel which totals up to 7quid a time,I'd do this once a week, it then occurred to me and my stupid brain that Infact it would he cheaper buying a 7ltr dive bottle,getting it filled at the same place for 3 pound and getting 30 fills of it! it was a no brainer for me!

why do you have to have the big air bottles tested every few yrs , ? what it the reason ?

As has been said. To ensure they can continue to take the fill pressure.

Should you go down the dive cylinder route then get one with an integral contents gauge. The reason is this. A dive cylinder with a pillar valve without an integral contents gauge and capable of supporting diving has to have a a hydraulic (hydrostatic) test very 5 years following it's production date with a visual inspection 1/2 way through these periods. And testing is not cheap and inconvenient as the cylinder has to go to a test facility. If you have a pillar valve with an integral contents gauge which cannot be used for scuba diving then it is for surface use only and only needs testing every five years I.e. Dispensing with the visual test.