SEAL ATTACK

6.5x55SE

Reading in our local paper today ( E D P ) they have come to the conclusion that the dead Seals they have found in the last few years with corkscrew type injuries could be the result of cannibalism and not from the propellers of the boats servicing the wind farms.

Somebody had apparently seen a Grey Seal drag a pup under the water in a screw type motion , this is what was written

An adult Seal forced a pup under water clamping its jaws around the scruff of its neck while locking its fore flippers to the mid section . it pulled upwards with its jaw while pushing down with his fore flippers leaving a corkscrew cut. the same Seal was seen to carry out other attacks in the same way .

So if a Grey Seal will kill a seal pup for food a Labrador wouldn't stand a chance .........Thanks for the advice 6.5x55SE.

No problem John ( M M ). I was Deer Stalking yesterday afternoon with the Wildfowler who had his Dog pulled under water I mentioned in my previous post. We both shoot the same area both use Dog's BUT are very very cautious when shooting near large creeks with water. As for the Seals could it be youngsters who have been ejected from the Colony due to Adults giving Birth !!!!!! The Seals we see have been very active fighting and chasing each other about. Last flight tomorrow evening and hopefully fit and able back doing it again Next Season

Adolescent bulls and bulls with out territories venting spleen? Testosterone levels will be high as winter is their breeding season.

As for the cannibalism, could this be a marker for over population?

No problem John ( M M ). I was Deer Stalking yesterday afternoon with the Wildfowler who had his Dog pulled under water I mentioned in my previous post. We both shoot the same area both use Dog's BUT are very very cautious when shooting near large creeks with water. As for the Seals could it be youngsters who have been ejected from the Colony due to Adults giving Birth !!!!!! The Seals we see have been very active fighting and chasing each other about. Last flight tomorrow evening and hopefully fit and able back doing it again Next Season

I have long felt its time for a grey seal cull in Norfolk. Their numbers have built up to a high level. 30 years ago 90% of the seals were common seals a much smaller species and I never heard of any problems with this species ( execpt from fishermen ). Today about 80% are grey seals a much larger and more agressive species. When the local fishermen used to cull them, the seals were wary and never a problem to dogs , but now they are tame and comming into places where you never saw them years ago.

Now some very good wildfowling creeks are out of bounds to gundogs at high tide.

Edited by anser2

I have long felt its time for a grey seal cull in Norfolk. Their numbers have built up to a high level. 30 years ago 90% of the seals were common seals a much smaller species and I never heard of any problems with this species ( execpt from fishermen ). Today about 80% are grey seals a much larger and more agressive species. When the local fishermen used to cull them, the seals were wary and never a problem to dogs , but now they are tame and comming into places where you never saw them years ago.

Now some very good wildfowling creeks are out of bounds to gundogs at high tide.

If we see one Seal a month up the river its normally a talking point , there something we have never considered a danger , but reading the posts being put on I am glad we do only see one on rare occasions .

What are the laws about culling them ?

Do Common Seals have any more protection orders on them than Grey Seals.?

I know some of the boys used to take a rifle with them when they done a bit of long shoring , but they were more worried about there nets than they were about the law ,....... if there were any at the time that is .

When you are a mile or two off shore I guess there is all but no law when it comes to fishermen and seals. I was on the look out for a knock about gun for work a few years ago and managed to get what my mates call the old seal gun. It belonged to a Wells fisherman. Its a Gunmark Kestrel , only fired 150 cartridges as tight as a drum and in good condition except for quite a few salt water marks on the blueing. But for £50 I did not worry about them.